Headphones

Hi Kams, that sounds like a very interesting project you carried out...how much duty did you pay when you brought stuff in? what percentage??

Sure Gopi..I will post my feedback on AHD 1000K & PX100 soon..

Not only this, You can expect my feedback for Oppo DVD Player,Polk HT speakers,Onkyo AVR,Monoprice cables,Ipod speaker system and may be LCD TV also :)

Yeah, I purchased all these items in USA during my three years stay and took it to India on my every vacation trip..I never had a chance to use and enjoy them because I purchased one item per trip.So I couldnt setup a complete HT/Hi Fi Environment at anywhere..

My three years onsite assignment will end by next week and I am permanently returning back to India:( .Let me setup everything,Enjoy and post my feedback here.

I thought of buying some HiFi stuffs like Arcam CD Player and Amp over here,But due to the space constraint I couldnt buy them :( and moreover I am afraid abt our customs ppl now ;).I will definetly buy them at India after setting up my HT.

I really appreciate all our active Hifivision friends for their wonderful efforts to answer each and every queries(not only mine) .It really helped me in lot of ways.As a true music lover I want to be an active member over here and share my thoughts with you all ...

Thanks to everybody!

Cheers,
Kams

Actually I bribed just $15 at Mumbai Airport at first time..I was new to the Airport environment at that time, So I gave it.But next two times I cleverly chose my destination to Chennai..I never paid a single rs/$ at chennai Airport..However I am afraid abt this time,I am carrying all my three years stuffs and some other electronic stufs also..

kams, That is quite some thing to get all these things like that. Neverthless, you can be happy about the fact that you are finally going to enjoy all the products.
As far as customs goes, its almost unpredictable. The worst case I know off was that my friend when he came back the first time, went through red channel, because he was having some electronic equipment and it was like 10k extra than allowed limits or something. so, he paid the import duty in the most honest way, unlike most of us. Then came the shock. The customs fellow then asked him money. He asked for what, as he has paid the duty. Their reply was, thats for the government, whats it for them. He said no and demanded to speak to higher officers. After 3 hours and multiple people, he gave them 3k. That story pisses me off so much. But, thats India for us.

Not only customs Gopi..We cannot correct so many things in India..Particularly Govt dept dealings..Regarding Customs, I heard lot of worst stories abt Mumbai Airport Customs..They have porters as a agents for them to deal with passengers..They speak all Lang..The guy who talked to me imm identified my native state and start speaking in my lang..clever ppl :eek:

Sorry for this out of topic talk..

never paid a singple rupee....did you walk in through the green channel? and they didn't stop you?

Actually I bribed just $15 at Mumbai Airport at first time..I was new to the Airport environment at that time, So I gave it.But next two times I cleverly chose my destination to Chennai..I never paid a single rs/$ at chennai Airport..However I am afraid abt this time,I am carrying all my three years stuffs and some other electronic stufs also..

yeah..I walked in thru Green ch..They just collected my customs declaration and asked me what I have in the luggage..thats it..

Kams,

If you are carrying receipts for the items and they are more than 2 years old, you don't have to pay any duty. The customs consider them to be personal property being brought back after being used outside the country.

And yes, the Customs in Chennai is a breeze. They just don't seem bothered at all nowadays with small items such as electronics. They look for drugs and gold, and they are very adept at recognizing people by face. In my last 15 years of travel I have never been bothered by Customs at Chennai. I have had many pleasant experiences when customs officers would look at the product I have and advice me on 'better' brands to look on my next travel.

Last time I carried my Onkyo 875 out to Dubai for repair, I insisted on getting it stamped on my passport. The customs officer was looking at me with pity in his eyes. When I returned, the same officer was at the gate, and he remembered me !! He just grabbed my declaration papers and in a friendly way patted me out of the door !!

Cheers

Received my DENON AH-D1001.It looks great and sounds better then px100(should be).Clear highs and mids.

Lot of reviews suggested It needs some 'burn in'.I started it already.Anyway I am going to wait for some more time to get better listening experience from Denon.

When I was in clollege One of my friends had one headphone.That was his bro's brought from US.It was open HP.That was an amazing HP I have ever listened.It had stunning bass and clear high and mids.I am looking for the similar quality HP.However I couldn't remember its brand.My friend also forgot its name.Still I am searching for the similar one.

Venkat: Yes, I keep all the Bills for the purchased items.so now worries.The pblm is I have lotttttt of stuffs :)

Last edited:
Sennheiser HD475 I think they are awesome but now I am looking for Grados dont think its available in India correct me if I am wrong. So I was planning to get it through one of my friend in US SR60 or the SR80 are the ones I am looking at.

Rem,
I was planning to put my Grado SR80 up for sale. I too have quite some headphones and going to get some. So, if interested on SR80 please PM me.

Sennheiser HD475 I think they are awesome but now I am looking for Grados dont think its available in India correct me if I am wrong. So I was planning to get it through one of my friend in US SR60 or the SR80 are the ones I am looking at.

Sound of music in Delhi Sells Grado headphones ,right now they are out of stock and are importing more .I guess there will be a price rise due to weak rupees against dollars .

http://www.hifivision.com/introductions/407-hello-sound-music.html

What Hifi magazine is giving some sennheiser headphones (costing around 3500) for free with a 3 year subscription (costs 2100). Does anyone know which model is that and how good are these headphones.
Is this a good deal. There is no discount on the price of the magazine if you are getting the free headphones. The one year sub comes for about 20% off if I remember correctly.

I mainly listen on headphones on my office computer. Currently I am using some crappy ear phones that came with my sony walkman a few years ago. The sound card on the pc is also on the motherboard and is crappy. Is it a good idea to get expensive headphones with such equipment. While travelling I also listen to my age old discman, but I dont travel that much anyway.

I am sennheiser HD 212Pro for last 3 years...bought them when i was in denmark...they r really good...

Shure SE-530 PTH : regular commuting
Sennheiser Hd595 : office use (colleagues hate it)
V-moda Vibe: Gym (goes deep in-ear and stick there forever)

Just did an interesting experiment, I compared my Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 and Bose QC3, and a pair of fairly expensive Sony headphones ( i forgot the model number, but they cost about 4,500 bucks). We tested it with Audio CDs (sheffield labs), and some MP3s.

The ATs were miles ahead in terms of detail and clarity. The Bose had a bit of a mid-bass bump that made stuff like rock a bit more "fun", but couldn't match the ATs in terms of clarity, and on a crowded track like Deep Purple's "sometimes i feel like screaming" the sound on the ATs was exhilarating, every single instrument and track in that recording was clearly and faithfully reproduced. The Sony just sounded muddy and quite miserable in comparison to the other two.

It's easy to test run these headphones on my laptop because it was has two headphones outs. Of course it would be better to check with audiophile level equipment, but I don't have it :p

Now you will understand why people who know about other products hate BOSE so much .Bose doesn't sound good for the money they charge.

in b.w do you know from where I can get Audio-Technica products in DELHI ?

I don't think Audio-Technica is marketed in India through official channels. You may be able to get hold of it if you know a grey market supplier though. I had my sister pick it up from New York.

Headphones :

1.Sennheiser HD650
2.Beyerdynamics DT 770 pro 80ohm
3.Bose Triports (Given to somebody )

Earphones :

1.MDR-E931
2.MDR-NC022(Noice cancelling )
3.Sennehiser CX300(I use to own them and they are terrible piece of crap sold them after two weeks of usage)

Well,I have used of lot of earphones of many companies which I don't even remember now lol.

@psychotropic:I guess you are right ,I have tried to contact AT using their website ,but they don't respond at all .

I hope I will find one like Grado .

Last edited:
my headphone list:-

Currently own

Beyerdynamic DT770 pro/80
Yamaha YH-100
Pioneer Monitor 10
Pickering OA-3

The last two will be used as donor headphones and converted to orthodynamic headphones using SFI drivers.

Previosuly owned headphones include
Beyerdynamic DT990, Sennheiser HD580, 600, 650
Grado SR225, RS1, Altec Lansing iM716

My sources for these include

ESI Juli@ (SPDIF coaxial out) -> DIY DAC

USB out -> Scott Nixon USB chibi DAC

Amplification

Mini3
CKKIII
Also building a stacker tube amp.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back