Headphones

hey sachi, Nice headgear !

how would you compare the DT770 to the HD650 ? also have you got the chance to listen to the AKG701 ?

Wow sachi. . . Some collection there
me using goldring dr150. For portable senn px100 . No amps. Had used pint earlier(read once upon a time)

how would you compare the DT770 to the HD650 ? also have you got the chance to listen to the AKG701 ?

DT770 are way behind HD650 .Regarding K701 they are more forward sound ign headphone in comparison to HD650 or you can say they are brighter and lacks in bass department .

I have reviewed both of them,

hey sachi, Nice headgear !

I prefer the DT770 over the HD650..however, they both have very different sound signatures.

Bear in mind that I am one who feels sennheiser got it right with the HD580 and from there on downhill...THe DT770 has a smaller soundstage, deeper bass but not always controlled, The highs are present and the mids are great (not as warm of the sennheiser though).

The AKG 701 was decent but i did not get enough headtime as I wasn't really interested in it. IT is a very good headphone for low volume listening.

Sachi

workout headphones : Senn PX100
Work : Grado SR125
Home : AKG 501 (one of the best for classical) driven by Little Dot Micro II amp (spectacular power range, dynamism, power retention)

workout headphones : Senn PX100
Work : Grado SR125
Home : AKG 501 (one of the best for classical) driven by Little Dot Micro II amp (spectacular power range, dynamism, power retention)

you know i heard the AKG 501 on more than one occasion..i never did like them..but boy can they take some juice...only when i heard it with the stacker tube amp did a smile spread across my face..very different sound signature when compared to the AKG701 but agree that they sounded very good with certain genres...

you know i heard the AKG 501 on more than one occasion..i never did like them..but boy can they take some juice...only when i heard it with the stacker tube amp did a smile spread across my face..very different sound signature when compared to the AKG701 but agree that they sounded very good with certain genres...

They sound very flat without an amp. But drop in an amp and its truly bliss. The sound stage is very clearly felt behind you thus not causing fatigue at all.

I use this with my HT at night times as well. Never get tired of it.

Has anyone heard an Alessandro MS2 ? I believe the brightness of the grado has been removed from it. how would this compare with a Senn HD650 or an AKG 701 ?

Can anyone suggest a good IE canal headphone in range of upto Rs 4000/-
($80) ?
How about denon AHC-551 ? Has anyone tried it ? Basically I want to replace my current IE I got with my SE 700W phone.

Can anyone suggest a good IE canal headphone in range of upto Rs 4000/-
($80) ?
How about denon AHC-551 ? Has anyone tried it ? Basically I want to replace my current IE I got with my SE 700W phone.

If you are planning to use with your cell phone, then this model is a pretty good price

Shure - I2c-m Stereo Mobile Headset

and this

Sennheiser Worldwide - CX 350 Street II - sound isolating Earphones, Headphones - Powerful bass - Private Audio

Amazon.com: Sennheiser CX300-S Earbuds (Silver): Electronics

if you are the ebayer kind, you may get these for cheaper price though the cx300 is very well priced product.

Thanks marsilians for the suggestion. I don't want a microphone as the connector for my mobile already has it and I will not be able to use any external one. So I will not like to pay extra for that. But still if sound quality of I2c m is good enough for the price I can consider them.

cx300 are available in the range of ~ $40 on amazon. If there are better headphones available, I won't mind spending some more money.

Further suggestions are most welcome.

Has anyone heard an Alessandro MS2 ? I believe the brightness of the grado has been removed from it. how would this compare with a Senn HD650 or an AKG 701 ?

Arj,

My Fostex T50RP easily bests the AKG 701..It is much faster, accurate and detailed than the AKG K701s. The only thing that the AKG came out on top was in the sound staging ..
Of course, my Fostex is heavily modded..lots of bitumen, Dynamat for mechanical damping, cork, different layers of felt was used.

Results from the micro meet at my place...I will try to put it in as few words as possible..

CTH(w 12BH7A Gold Aero) -> AKG K701
Good
*Very nice air.wide soundstage, excellent highs
* very good mids..would like the vocals to be a bit more forward
Bad
*Bass is loose
*Seems like it can't get the bass out of the K701s as easily..
*just a wee bit bright for my tastes

Don's original Stacker -> K701
Good
Faster and tighter bass..
sound staging is brilliant..the drivers seem to disappear
The brightness that was there in the CTH was no longer there.
Very nice detailing but some passages sounded a tad muddled..but nothing too great
Fantastic mids..perfect and on the spot

CK2III- > K701
Good
*Decent bass..
*drives the K701 adequately
*Good mids..not as musical but more forward than the CTH

Bad
* Not musical at all..easily noticeable going from the other two amps to the CK2III.
*Sound stage is smaller than the other two
*Rolled off highs..lacks detail, lacks the air that the other two amps have in spades
*Bass was slightly loose but generally ok

Starving Student (SS)->K701
Good
*Decent mids..but a bit forward sounding.
*Decent Bass..feels like the amp has a lot of juice
*CTH seems to have looser bass

Bad
* Bass lacks control
*Not as detailed in the highs as the CTH...lacks the air
*better channel separation on the CTH
*Sounds muddled at places compared to the CTH, lacks details

SS With Fostex T50Rps (heavily damped) ->
Muddiness in the sound is not that apparent..the SS definitely feels like it has more power.(wonder if changing a few resistors on the CTH would help address this.
Bass sounds slightly hollow

CTH with Fostex T50RP ->
Better air, details and bass than the SS.

CTH with Yamaha HP2 ->
It seems to driev my orthos wuite well...sounds really good with my HP2. I love this combo..

Swapping out the 12BH7A with an RCA 5963 improved the bass wuite bit..it got tighter..seemed to drive the K701 ok. However, the highs seemed to roll off earlier with the 5963.

Things that I noticed were, the E12 took longer to trip when we plugged in the K701 and the Yamaha Yh-100s..normally it took half that time with other headphones.

I had plans of selling the Starving student..but I am not so sure anymore. I am also not so sure about building another CTH. Especially considering I want to build few other amps.

A word about the stacker...awesome!!!.it just makes it seem like a piece of cake for it..seamless and smooth in its presentation..devoid of any shortcomings..delivering music like it should be...fun!!!

Last edited:
if you are the ebayer kind, you may get these for cheaper price though the cx300 is very well priced product.

For bangalore ppl Shenn Cx300 is available at 1.5k approx, in SP road.

thanks kaushik! but i already have the cx 300. I had got it from the u.s. Saw the price in reliance time out as 2.5k. Thats why i asked.

@Dinyaar, for watching tennis why bother getting good phones? pick up the Philips cordless ones....so you get the convenience of cordless and adequate sound for sport....

Psychotropic,

I have been looking for cordless headphones within 4k . . . preferably earhook or in ear types as the intent is using them while running on the treadmill.

Any recommendations based on relevant exposure would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Abhishek

Arj,

My Fostex T50RP easily bests the AKG 701..It is much faster, accurate and detailed than the AKG K701s. The only thing that the AKG came out on top was in the sound staging ..
Of course, my Fostex is heavily modded..lots of bitumen, Dynamat for mechanical damping, cork, different layers of felt was used.

Sachi, I was in london for a few days and got a chance to hear the AKG701 and a Beyer DT990 and 880.

the AKG is not very comfortable ..and i think it needs a strong amp or else bass seems missing. additionally its no fun with low level listening.My guess is that the AKG would have done better at home where I use the Leben CS600 as the headphone amp..but cannot take the risk espcially it not being so comfortable.

On the other hand I loved the DT990. although i had gone in expecting it to be the other way around. It is not juist comfortable but has both details as well as a strong bass (not excess) and nice treble. it is extremely good with low level listening (which i do) although can gets overpowering at high level.
DT880 was a bit boomy with bass heavy tracks at high volumes, although at low volumes it was pretty good as well.

So ended up buying the DT990. its breaking in now :)

Last edited:
Hi
I have the following that i have used for different purposes quite extensively:
1. Sennheiser that came bundled with a now obsolete iRiver mp3 player (it had a 256mb capacity in 2003!! :) - they dont cause much fatigue and are much better than ipod phones. I had an ipod briefly but sold it out of sheer frustration with the tinny sound but thats another story.
2. Acoustic Research noise cancelling AR-H500 - they're good for travel and come with a soft case that makes them easy to pack. The only downside is they somehow heat up and so using them for hours in non-airconditioned environments is challenging (there's a battery that is used for noise cancellation mechanism). I got them on clearance for about $20 instead of the list price of $80.
3. The ones that get used the most are actually sony in-ear phones that came with the Sony NW-S205F. This tiny baby has been a delight, but i wont go much into that area. I use them while exercising and the unique loop helps them stay in place - also while travel its not too bad. No noise cancellation here though - these are cheap too.
hope this helps

I am planning to get some cheap headphones from US, a friend of mine will get it for me. Has anyone used Koss porta pro, it has lots of good reviews on the web. A comparison with grado 60 will be nice.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back