HeadphoneZone.in review in progress.

dinesh1201

Hi Guys!

Two days back I ordered Modi Multibit DAC from Headphonezone dot in, I thought to review this online store experience from before sale customer support to purchase to after sale. This will be benefited to all the community member here. I'll update my experience here till I get the product in hand.
Amazoners have a bad habit of getting quick customer support, fast shipping :)

Thanks for doing it. Looking forward to the review.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L10 using Tapatalk

Hi friends!!

haha I'm so Sorry!

Yes let me start the review. Actually didn't get time from client's work. So here it is.

After getting my PM5005 I was searching for a DAC, I've been a user of AudioEngine DAC D1. I sold it a year back.
Needed a DAC because we guys know how it can improve the SQ when in chain of your audio system.

Now the problem I was facing is to get a good DAC but in the price I could afford. Thought of Amazon dot com and prioritize Project DAC (6K), Two DACs from Fostex (30k out of my range but I was ready to invest just because I was dying to get one asap).

When I heard about Headphonezone, went through the website and found good option to buy. Schiit was the first preference and HPZ is the official distributer of Schiit's products in India.

I sent an email to their support and inquire them about Modi 2, Uber and Multibit ranging from 9k to 22k. I felt lucky when they told me the stock would arrive in next two business days :) .After three days I got an email to buy the Uber, when I reached the page it was sold out. They told me these schiits selling fast. Literally I screamed on them for cheating :) Next day I got a personal email from the support that Multibit is ready to purchase.

I ordered Multibit early morning without a delay. Three days passed I didn't hear anything related to shipping I tweeted them, emailed them but I think they were busy for Valentine day.

However replies started to my tweets that it will be shipped by that day only. Even Raghav, CEO of HPZ called me to apologize.

The reason for delay was sending the products from their main depot to their warehouse. Multibit and Uber arrived to India but still needed to sent to their warehouse from where products ship to all over India.

As far as my Experience with them is concern it was fair and good. They are good in dealing, customer support and you can call the CEO directly :D

They sent it via Aramex which has a very decent service in my city. Got the product from Bangalore to Lucknow in three days. It was well and securely packed. The packet had a bill from HPZ which I can use for warranty claim.

Headphonezone have the product catalog just what's in their name. Maximum products related to headphones. Like Headphone amps, Earphones, Audio players, Dacs, accessories, cables etc. They do have speakers too but have no product related to HT like AVR, Integrated amps and all. They do have high end expensive headphones, players and DACs.

Conclusion: After Amazon I can trust them for buying audio equipments.

About Schiit Audio: The company is not arrogant as I thought. Their customer care person give answer in one line only. They seems very strict to their rules and regulations. No offers, No fancy packaging, No self praise. When you ask them something they provide you link to their company's terms and faqs :D , according to them they invest 100% in the product and therefore no offers, no advertising, no fancy packaging. what the customers gets is a solid piece of well tested equipment, 100% worth the money.

Hope this will help you all :thumbsup:

:signthankspin:
Dinesh.

Attachments

• snip_20170224213731.jpg
    snip_20170224213731.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 122
Yup please review it since I am also in the verge of buying but confused between uber and multibit ...your advise might help me decide...

Hi friends,

I've posted some pics and a short review of Multibit here in my another post.

http://www.hifivision.com/dac/66058-waiting-my-new-dac.html

Beside this I'm very firm that it has improved the Sound Quality to a great extent. Using it with PM5005 and PolkAudio RTI A3. Every morning when I sit on my desk for work I started these guys to run for hours and they dissolve music to my ears without hurting :)

One more thing I forgot to mention that when I set up it first time it became very hot for few hours. I shot an email to HPZ and Schiit, however I didn't get any reply from HPZ, think they are not technically versed.
Received an e mail from Nick a Schiit customer support guy and he told me that Multibit runs a little bit hot and it's very normal and it doesn't make the performance lag by any means.

But now I can see after running it several hours it's running not that hot. Being an electronic device its nature is to run a little hot but not that much. I'm OK now.

I've connected Modi Multibit using Belkin Optical cable to my PC and listen to songs from iTunes with payed membership of Apple music. Have some lossless flacs too.

The front push button has a very smooth tactile feedback and doesn't wobble like in many reviews on the Internet and YT.

When you powered it on all the three LEDs start blinking for searching for an input type either of USB, Coax and Optical.

For the built quality I must say it's a SOLID device with brushed aluminum built. Slightly bigger in size than my previous Audioengine DAC D1. However it doesn't equipped with any volume control as the DAC D1 has.

Multibit is powered by a power adapter and not with USB as in the case of D1 and Modi 2.

Multibit has 2 years warranty from the date of invoice. Schiit says if you think you are in need to avail the warranty contact them first than contacting your distributor.

What you receive in the box is just DAC, Four rubber feet, 16VAC wall-wart with 100% linear power supply.

Now how you compare Multibit with the Modi2 and Uber.

Modi 2: USB Only and no input selection switch.
Modi 2 Uber: USB, Toslink SPDIF, Coaxial SPDIF ,has an input selection switch.
Modi Multibit: USB, Toslink SPDIF, Coaxial SPDIF, has an input selection switch.

This is what schiit says about Modi Multibit:

"Modi Multibit is the most affordable multibit DAC with a modern architecturefrom any manufacturer, from any country in the world. Featuring Schiits unique closed-form digital filter, and using the same Analog Devices AD5547 multibit DAC as Bifrost, Modi Multibit smashes the high-price barrier in multibit DACs."

Here are few lines from Schiit's site for Modi Multibit:

How about the Modi Multibit?
Modi Multibit has exactly the same inputs, finish, and controls as Modi 2 Uber (and also a large, stylized M screened on the top that looks kinda like a space invaderand helps designate it as a Modi Multibit.) But its profoundly different from the Modi 2 Uber inside:

Architecture: Instead of a conventional delta-sigma architecture, the Modi Multibit uses our own, entirely new multibit architecture.
Digital Filter: Instead of using the digital filter embedded in the AK4490 DAC, the Modi Multibit features our own unique closed-form digital filter implemented on an Analog Devices SHARC DSPthe same filter used in the Bifrost Multibit.
D/A Converter: Again, instead of using a delta-sigma audio DAC, the Modi Multibit uses an Analog Devices AD5547 medical/military-grade D/A converterthe same D/A converter used in the Bifrost Multibit.
Bottom line, Modi Multibit is by far the most sophisticated DAC available anywhere near this price, and it is based on an entirely new architecture (rather than using NOS or soon-unavailable old-style audio multibit D/A converters.)

Sounds like youre pretty proud of the Modi Multibit.
Not that thats a question, but yes, we are. Only a little more than a year after the introduction of the Yggdrasil, you can now get a DAC that includes derivatives of its unique technology for only about 1/10 of the price. Has anyone else done that? Would anyone else do that? Are we insane? Only you can tell.

Hope this helps. I know it's not a very technical review but for a general user perspective. I think Multibit has an edge over Uber and so I bought it. Also I don't want to regret my decision later and so spent few bucks more on Multibit.

Thank you all!
Dinesh.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back