Heard a small TICK noise in Denon AVR 1713, stopped working

Sorry, idid not login for some days, hope your issue is solved.

I just read ur article and I'm Surprised. Im in ur place right now, After opening the AV yestreday realised the Same IC601(TOP258MG) blown as illustrated in pic above. Your article was very helpful to me, glad I found it. I stay in B'lore too (Near RT Nagar). I would be really happy if u guide me get the AV Fixed.
Thank You

I have the same issue ,my Denon AVR 1713 is not working ,heard a small sound and then it just shut off .Is there a service center close to Commercial Street or any technician avaliable to do a home service for the same .
Thanks

I had the same problem with my Denon AVR 1912, gone through service manual TROUBLE SHOOTING section, checked and founded that this TOP258MN was faulty. Bought TOP258MG (as TOP258MN not available) from Aliexpress and replaced.

I had the same problem with my Denon AVR 1912, gone through service manual TROUBLE SHOOTING section, checked and founded that this TOP258MN was faulty. Bought TOP258MG (as TOP258MN not available) from Aliexpress and replaced.
Seems this is a common problem. I found this thread as I faced this issue of sparking and shutting down of the AVR and the IC is blown almost identical to what was posted.
Based upon a search in this forum, I could find the contact of a freelance hi-fi audio equipment technician here in Pune, who seemed to be well appreciated and recommended and contacted him. After sharing the issue he himself told me the IC number without even having a look at the pics and said that it'll cost @ 8-10 k to repair it!!!
Beware of getting fleeced by these folks.
Would appreciate if anyone can recommend any good and honest technician / service center for me to get this IC replaced and the avr repaired.

Seems this is a common problem. I found this thread as I faced this issue of sparking and shutting down of the AVR and the IC is blown almost identical to what was posted.
Based upon a search in this forum, I could find the contact of a freelance hi-fi audio equipment technician here in Pune, who seemed to be well appreciated and recommended and contacted him. After sharing the issue he himself told me the IC number without even having a look at the pics and said that it'll cost @ 8-10 k to repair it!!!
Beware of getting fleeced by these folks.
Would appreciate if anyone can recommend any good and honest technician / service center for me to get this IC replaced and the avr repaired.
I think, i have one spare TOP 258MG. If it useful for you i can spare it for you at free of cost.

Last edited:
These TOP ICs are the SMPS controller ICs by power integrations from China. The max DC that they can operate is 375 volts. Now you will get 375 volts when the mains voltage becomes 265 volts (dc voltage = ac voltage multiplied by sqrt of 2).

This country that we live in has upgraded the mains voltage to 240 += 10% from 230v += 5% so that cheaper power equipments can be installed by the private players who have got into electric supply business.

Many time you will find that the voltage has crossed 265 volts. I have voltmeters in every room and after the covid lockdown I have lost quite a few SMPS (computer, RO water purifier, Yamaha AVR, etc). I have now put stabilzers in each and every room. Each time the SMPS has blown I have found it to be the TOP 2xx series ICs. In my case it was TOP 254PN which wasn't available anywhere. So after studying the specs I replaced it with 258PN. Cost of the IC was just Rs 59 and that is what it costed me 2x of that amount bring back the AVR back to life. Out of the 2 ICs I ordered, one turned out to be bad. So if you order, get 2-3 of these ICs. My repair journey is recounted below.

What is the voltage rating written on the back of your avr. e.g. My Yamaha avr is rated 110v - 240 volts. Going to 265 volts is way beyond the max tolerance. This is the current voltage in Pune. In my society many many people have lost tv sets, microwave oven, RO watter purifier, laptop chargers (including macbook chargers) after the lockdown period when the mains voltage has been increased from 230v to 240v. Do yourself a favour. Get some kind of stabilizer or voltage cutout switch and protect your equipments. There are quite a few threads on hifivision on this topic.

BTW @SriniN I see that you are from Pune. The problem I have highlighted is from Pune. My society even complained to MSEB. But the MSEB insist that 240v +- 10% is normal and if equipments blow then it is the equpment fault.

This is the current input voltage

IMG_20220812_192701.jpg

What is the voltage rating written on the back of your avr. e.g. My Yamaha avr is rated 110v - 240 volts. Going to 265 volts is way beyond the max tolerance. This is the current voltage in Pune. In my society many many people have lost tv sets, microwave oven, RO watter purifier, laptop chargers (including macbook chargers) after the lockdown period when the mains voltage has been increased from 230v to 240v. Do yourself a favour. Get some kind of stabilizer or voltage cutout switch and protect your equipments. There are quite a few threads on hifivision on this topic.

BTW @SriniN I see that you are from Pune. The problem I have highlighted is from Pune. My society even complained to MSEB. But the MSEB insist that 240v +- 10% is normal and if equipments blow then it is the equpment fault.

This is the current input voltage

View attachment 71167
@mbhangui ...thanks for your detailed explanation. I just caught up with these messages. Very insightful. Thankfully we didn't have any other incident like this with the other gadgets, am sorry to know that you and your neighbours had such issues with so many gadgets at home. I'll surely get a voltage stabiliser asap. Thanks again

Last edited:
@mbhangui ...thanks for your detailed explanation. I just caught up with these messages. Very insightful. Thankfully we didn't have any other incident like this with the other gadgets, am sorry to know that your neighbours had such issues with so many gadgets at home. I'll surely get a voltage stabiliser asap. Thanks again
After the spate of incidences, I did a lot of reading. This country's voltage standards have been revised to 240 +- 10% from the earlier standard of 230 +- 5%. This makes power generation cheaper. You can take a guess the private businessman who has entered power generation in a big way. So having a voltage stabilizer is a must if you have equipment manufactured before 2020.

These TOP ICs are the SMPS controller ICs by power integrations from China. The max DC that they can operate is 375 volts. Now you will get 375 volts when the mains voltage becomes 265 volts (dc voltage = ac voltage multiplied by sqrt of 2).

This country that we live in has upgraded the mains voltage to 240 += 10% from 230v += 5% so that cheaper power equipments can be installed by the private players who have got into electric supply business.

Many time you will find that the voltage has crossed 265 volts. I have voltmeters in every room and after the covid lockdown I have lost quite a few SMPS (computer, RO water purifier, Yamaha AVR, etc). I have now put stabilzers in each and every room. Each time the SMPS has blown I have found it to be the TOP 2xx series ICs. In my case it was TOP 254PN which wasn't available anywhere. So after studying the specs I replaced it with 258PN. Cost of the IC was just Rs 59 and that is what it costed me 2x of that amount bring back the AVR back to life. Out of the 2 ICs I ordered, one turned out to be bad. So if you order, get 2-3 of these ICs. My repair journey is recounted below.

@mbhangui ...the IC's as you point out don't cost more. To my surprise, I could find the IC in Pimpri electronic market but it had 8 terminals whereas mine had 9. Then he sent it to someone and said it could be made available - Rs.100 for the 8 pin IC and 200 for the 9 pin one. However the bigger issue than the availability of the IC is the availability of reliable, genuine repair / service providers. The one I had called initially, highly recommended on this forum, was trying to fleece me for 8-10k for replacing the chip!!!
So need to have information on this built here so that it helps anyone needing repairs. I am assuming that you have someone who has done all these repairs for you. Unfortunately I couldn't find anyone and I had to take it to my town (very cumbersome, something came up there for me to visit), and get this repaired from a friend of mine who is into repairs and making new, custom designed amplifiers and sound systems. But we need someone locally to quickly resolve matters

@mbhangui ...the IC's as you point out don't cost more. To my surprise, I could find the IC in Pimpri electronic market but it had 8 terminals whereas mine had 9. Then he sent it to someone and said it could be made available - Rs.100 for the 8 pin IC and 200 for the 9 pin one. However the bigger issue than the availability of the IC is the availability of reliable, genuine repair / service providers. The one I had called initially, highly recommended on this forum, was trying to fleece me for 8-10k for replacing the chip!!!
Exactly. The ICs don't cost much. You should get the 9 pin one and not the 8 pin one.

So need to have information on this built here so that it helps anyone needing repairs. I am assuming that you have someone who has done all these repairs for you. Unfortunately I couldn't find anyone and I had to take it to my town (very cumbersome, something came up there for me to visit), and get this repaired from a friend of mine who is into repairs and making new, custom designed amplifiers and sound systems. But we need someone locally to quickly resolve matters
Things like these are just soldering job. Even a mobile phone technician should be able to do this.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back