Heartburn on seeing prices at Richer Sounds

grunthos

Richer Sounds is a UK chain of hifi audio equipment. They have brick and mortar as well as online shopping
The prices listed on their website brings tears to my eyes

For example, Cambridge Audio's audio focussed Azur 551R, is listed for GBP 300 or Rs 31,000
Cambridge Audio AZUR 551R Black | AV Receiver | Richer Sounds

Lots of other sweet deals
Last years Yamaha V575 for GBP 230 or Rs 23,500
Yamaha RXV575 Black | AV Receiver | Richer Sounds

The new Denon X2000 for GBP 250 or Rs 25,500
Denon AVRX2000 Black | AV Receiver | Richer Sounds
(I got the X1000 for Rs 41,000 less discount :sad: )

Recently one of my friend who had been to UK, asked me for an suggestion for HT... His budget was approx 1,000 Pounds....So i suggested him an combined offer of Denon X4000 with Q Acoustics 5.1 speaker package for 1,000 Pounds (1 Lac)....

Unbelievable price.. Denon X4000 sells for 1.3 Lacs India & 65K in UK.....Same applies to speaker.....I think he saved more than 1 Lac rupees by buying there...

For the price you paid for Denon X1000, you could have got Denon X3000 in UK...

You know you are living in the 3rd world when you see prices on the Richer Sounds and it brings tears to your eyes :D

Here is something to bring you a smile.

Even people in UK have tears in their eyes when they see the price on American distributor sites. Go figure ;)

Pionner's AVR are modestly priced compared to other AVR In india....Something to cheer about....

Hope the govt raises the limit to 50K from current limit of 35K, so that we can bring really good electronics from abroad :eek:hyeah:

Richer Sounds is a UK chain of hifi audio equipment. They have brick and mortar as well as online shopping
The prices listed on their website brings tears to my eyes

For example, Cambridge Audio's audio focussed Azur 551R, is listed for GBP 300 or Rs 31,000
Cambridge Audio AZUR 551R Black | AV Receiver | Richer Sounds

Lots of other sweet deals
Last years Yamaha V575 for GBP 230 or Rs 23,500
Yamaha RXV575 Black | AV Receiver | Richer Sounds

The new Denon X2000 for GBP 250 or Rs 25,500
Denon AVRX2000 Black | AV Receiver | Richer Sounds
(I got the X1000 for Rs 41,000 less discount :sad: )

From the thread - Is it a good idea to get a Sub Woofer from London? one highly knowledgable FM quoted

Hi

As far as I remember, Electronics is expensive in London and am not sure if it is the right thing to do. Customs, Airline Charges etc and the most important warranty play an important role.

Is London part of UK ? AFAIK it was right??:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Ha! Probably because used equipment prices are even better. I was looking for a decent setup here, and richer sounds clearance deals were decent, but local classifieds deals were even more mindblowing!
For 25 Pounds, I ended up getting an amp and a pair of speakers, which are beyond what you could get for that price in india (even in the used market!)

Hmm.. Did you check the prices/sourcing the AVR from abroad before you finalised on Denon X1000 here ?

Yes I knew about Richer Sounds if thats what you are asking

However,
1) I did not have anyone travelling to the UK or US that time (dont trust shipping as I would have to be completely dependent on the third party - with all risks being borne by me)
2) I have had quite a few electronics which needed warranty support in the past few years. So I tend to ensure all expensive items have valid India warranty (the HUGE discount at Richer Sounds would override it, of course)

indian prices are unbelievably high. dont know why?

Some say that is because of the rupee weakening against the dollar.... Am not sure how this works....The best thing to do is plan your purchase when you friend/relative is coming back to india & if they accommodate any AVR as part of the luggage...

Yes I knew about Richer Sounds if thats what you are asking

However,
1) I did not have anyone travelling to the UK or US that time (dont trust shipping as I would have to be completely dependent on the third party - with all risks being borne by me)
2) I have had quite a few electronics which needed warranty support in the past few years. So I tend to ensure all expensive items have valid India warranty (the HUGE discount at Richer Sounds would override it, of course)

I was referring to Middle East/ Asian countries... Usually during Dubai Shopping festival, you get very good offers....Once you have a bitter experience with pricey electronic goods, it will make you think twice before you make next big purchase....

Oh, for the Chennai branch of Richer Sounds to open!

But, even they would probably face some horrible problems with the importing, duties, etc.

As to Cambridge Audio prices, some here might not know... Richer Sounds own Cambridge Audio.

But, even they would probably face some horrible problems with the importing, duties, etc.

As to Cambridge Audio prices, some here might not know... Richer Sounds own Cambridge Audio.

I think the cost of shipping an AVR to american/Europe/middle east countries would be more than the cost they ship it to india.... Most of the AVR's are produced in Malaysia/China....

I would like to share a link which discloses the price from the originating country & what they are selling in India MRP....Hope it is not against the forum rules...Please let me know......

Believe it or not, Richer Sounds is a shadow of its former self. They used to refuse to sell anything but audio components. No lifestyle units, no HT, not TVs ...and certainly no fridges! You'd be lucky to get the latest equipment there, because their method was excess stocks and last-year stuff. Best bargains possible!

Their original shop, on London Bridge Station, was a treasure trove, and, if lucky, one could find some fairly esoteric stuff there. My first system came from there. My "Superscope" 3-head portable cassette player came from there. Happy days! :D :lol:

You will not find any big showroom, nor will you find them in the malls or the high streets. They save on rent by using poky little places in side streets and alleys. Pokey places piled high with stuff! They are proud of the fact their turnover holds the record for the amount of space they sell it from. I don't know if it still holds true, but they used to still manage to make space for demo listening --- although you might have to sit on a pile of boxes.

They have the only decent-value extended warranty scheme (again, if still true). It includes a guaranteed buy-back value for your kit when you want to change or upgrade. I turned an amplifier into a mini-disk player!

good to be on the other side finally:

got the yamaha v675 for 379 USD (~22k). Have a sony STR 1040 lying unopened (would be sent back) from Amazon for 329 USD (~19k). beat that.

Only pioneers are okay priced in India. Onkyo and Denons are obnoxiously overpriced.

good to be on the other side finally:

got the yamaha v675 for 379 USD (~22k). Have a sony STR 1040 lying unopened (would be sent back) from Amazon for 329 USD (~19k). beat that.

Only pioneers are okay priced in India. Onkyo and Denons are obnoxiously overpriced.

22K is a Great price for Yamaha RX V675... I think they would be around 50K + in India....

the sony sounds better - more open broader soundstage but the yamaha beats with feature and convenience. the iOS app is fantastic for DLNA, vTuner, Pandora/Spotify, ISB playback and normal receiver control. Its a keeper for 22k (phir bhi dil hain hindustani)

as of now my setup here
Technics Sl1210 Mk2 (250) (no need to explain) - near mint
Sansui SR 222 Mk1 (25) (Belt drive, AC Synchro motor, S shaped tonearm) - Needs new needle
B&W Vision DS3 (15) ( 2.5 Way floorstander, 90W RMS, 89dB) One cabinet panel loose, needs some glue
Sony STR242L (10) ( 30+30W Stereo Analog Receiver) One bulb in front panel dead

It's the ultimate unbalanced setup eh? Looking for a brawnier amp now, but the speakers need some TLC before I can drive them hard.
Years of stalking and hunting for used stuff on quickr finally paid off :D

Was listening to Classic FM all night yesterday. It was divine :)

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back