Hello and need AVR+Speaker Advice

Marsilians; appreciate your inputs! :)

So here goes....would it be enough to start with:

Speakers: KEF KHT2005

AVR: Yamaha 463

DVD: Sony PS3

Thanks for your inputs!

For a budget of 100K for speakers i would suggest you to go for bookshelf/floorstanding combination of speakers rather than KEF KHT2005.
No matter what, size does matter in speakers and KEF's have satellite speakers.

Thanks,
Prakash

Guys, at the outset, thanks for all the inputs and ideas. In the last few days I have visited enough shops around (and in Bangalore where I visited for business), I have come around the following decision:

AV Receiver:
Yamaha 863. I think I am getting a good deal at 57K.

Speakers:
Seem to be tricky, as I see too many options in the market, but not too many dealers having demo kits available. And none of the demos is with the Yamaha AVR. So I have to depend more on reviews and advice on this forum.

I have short listed
Paradigm CT 110 5.1 (for about 45K)
or
Dali Motif 5.1 (for about 90K...it is definitely stretching my budget)

Any alternatives, that are wall mountable and within 50K are still welcome, specially, if I can hear them before spending....

DVD Player:
Sony PS3

Questions:
1. How do I know if the impedence rating of the Speakers and Amp will match. For example, I cannot find the impedence for CT110 in its literature on web.

2. How critical is peak RMS for speakers? For example, Paradigm CT110 is rated at 100 Watts per channel and the Yamaha AVR 863 is rated at 105 per channel (total 735W). Will it be ok??

Thanks again for all your inputs!

Cheers!

Guys, at the outset, thanks for all the inputs and ideas. In the last few days I have visited enough shops around (and in Bangalore where I visited for business), I have come around the following decision:

AV Receiver:
Yamaha 863. I think I am getting a good deal at 57K.

>>>>>good choice

Speakers:
Seem to be tricky, as I see too many options in the market, but not too many dealers having demo kits available. And none of the demos is with the Yamaha AVR. So I have to depend more on reviews and advice on this forum.

I have short listed
Paradigm CT 110 5.1 (for about 45K)
or
Dali Motif 5.1 (for about 90K...it is definitely stretching my budget)

>>> As Venkat and Myself pointed out for your budget you can go for bookshelf setup rather than satellite/subwoofer combo.

>>>If you have shortlisted these two then audition and finalise by yourself.

Any alternatives, that are wall mountable and within 50K are still welcome, specially, if I can hear them before spending....

>>>> Acoustic energy classic 5.1 is good. try that/

DVD Player:
Sony PS3

>>>> good choice

Questions:
1. How do I know if the impedence rating of the Speakers and Amp will match. For example, I cannot find the impedence for CT110 in its literature on web.

>> I saw in the company web that it is rated at 8 ohms.
Paradigm ::: Models :::Cinema? 110 L/R

2. How critical is peak RMS for speakers? For example, Paradigm CT110 is rated at 100 Watts per channel and the Yamaha AVR 863 is rated at 105 per channel (total 735W). Will it be ok??

>>>> perfectly Ok.
Thanks, Prakash

Last edited:
Thanks, Prakash

>>> As Venkat and Myself pointed out for your budget you can go for bookshelf setup rather than satellite/subwoofer combo.

>>>If you have shortlisted these two then audition and finalise by yourself.

>>>> Acoustic energy classic 5.1 is good. try that/

Prakasse; thanks! Given the looks of book-shelf speakers, are there any reasonably priced alternatives? thanks.

Could you send me contact details of dealer for Aoustic Energy in North India?

Thanks and Cheers!:)

Fols; need your ideas on the following:

I have decided to go with Yamaha AVR 863 + Dali Motif 5.1 speakers (with Dali SWA8 Sub) + Sony PS3

The prices I am getting are:
AVR: RS 57K tax paid, or Rs 44K (grey mkt)

Speakers: 95K tax paid

PS3: 24K

Would you say these are fairly reasonable prices?

Thanks.

any idea if there is a PS3 hardware upgrade due? PS4 or something like that?

regards

There are always rumours around the next gen launch as with any other manufacturers. Grapevine pickings suggest a timeframe of 2010 or 2011 (going by prev. years quality concerns). One thing is for sure, Sony is not getting out of gaming console business. So time will tell.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back