Hello Everybody

Vidhu

Hello Everybody.

I am a newbie to this forum and thought that it would not be a bad idea to say hello and post my first message/request also to you guys for some guidance.

I am looking for a pair of floor standers which would necessarily cater to the following requirements.

Superlative mid-range, detailed well defined highs and extended bass response.
I own a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 and I am not happy with the mid-range reproduction. The highs and mid are rounded off. The bass is alright but that probably is because of the "warm/rounded off" mids and highs.
I listen to a lot of Hard Rock, Progressive Rock and Heavy Metal music and the wharfedales sadly do not measure up.
I have watched a lot of live concerts (Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Scorpions, Jethrotull, Megadeth, Seputura etc) and there is nothing rounded/warm or sweet about the live sound, so why should it be different with Hi-Fi?
I have a budget of approximately INR 100,000 ($ 2500). What could I possibly buy which would fit my tastes. Thanks in advance for the suggestions/advice. looking forward to your responses.

Regards

Vidhu

Vidhu:

You must audition a number of brands and decide which one you like. And please carry some hard rock CDs that your like and are familiar.

One option is the Yamaha Soavo 1. These speakers have a very low base and have won many awards. You must use a powerful amplifier, though.

I am sure others will recommend other speakers.

Cheers

Hi Vidhu,

I am listening to very similar music you like. Metal rules :D

listen to a lot of Hard Rock, Progressive Rock and Heavy Metal music

In the past I've tried i.e. Wharfedale, ALR-Jordan and B&W. All these "softies" having IMHO no idea how to reproduce such kind of music/sound. I would recommend Klipsch! The RF-7 is great, a guarantee for real live-feeling. Punchy, direct and will offer every little detail ad hoc. The RF-83 would also make it. Or a bookshelf like the RB-81 (which is also great for acoustical stuff, small kombos etc.). Or one of the new Palladium (ok, will exeed your budget). Another option might be KEF... Well, just my two cents here and enjoy Rock!

Brgds
nuRoXX

Vidhu,

If you had mentioned the rest of your gear, it would have been easier for any suggestions. IME, I have seen Naim doing well with Rock, so does Cyrus and Exposure.

With out knowing the details, few speakers which could be good for all types of music are Ikon 6, RS6, 603 etc.

All the best.

Thanks buddy for your reply. I am sorry that I did not give you any further info on the rest of my system (what an oversight).
Anyway here it goes:

Source used is a Marantz CD5001 powered by Rotel RB-1070 pre-amp coupled with the RB-1080 power amp.

Hope that will suffice. Do et me know if you want any other details.

Thanks

Vidhu

If you had mentioned the rest of your gear, it would have been easier for any suggestions. IME, I have seen Naim doing well with Rock, so does Cyrus and Exposure.

With out knowing the details, few speakers which could be good for all types of music are Ikon 6, RS6, 603 etc.

All the best.[/QUOTE]

Thanks NuRoxx, for the quick reply. " Rock will never die"
I have heard of the Klipsch RF series being very "rock" friendly. Recently I saw a review of Rotel RB-1080 (the same piece I own) with the B&W 800 series and the review was pretty flattering, but there is no mention of how these speakers sound with full-tilt Heavy Metal, besides B&W 800s are way too expensive.
Is it too much expect music to be replayed the way it was intended without the "warmth" on the high and mids???

Anyway, thanks buddy, let me see if i can check out the Klipschs.

Hi Vidhu,

I am listening to very similar music you like. Metal rules :D

In the past I've tried i.e. Wharfedale, ALR-Jordan and B&W. All these "softies" having IMHO no idea how to reproduce such kind of music/sound. I would recommend Klipsch! The RF-7 is great, a guarantee for real live-feeling. Punchy, direct and will offer every little detail ad hoc. The RF-83 would also make it. Or a bookshelf like the RB-81 (which is also great for acoustical stuff, small kombos etc.). Or one of the new Palladium (ok, will exeed your budget). Another option might be KEF... Well, just my two cents here and enjoy Rock!

Brgds
nuRoXX[/QUOTE]

Hi Vidhu,

Recently I saw a review of Rotel RB-1080 (the same piece I own) with the B&W 800 series and the review was pretty flattering...
of course as both brands using the same disposal... they recommend each other at every opportunity...

Is it too much expect music to be replayed the way it was intended without the "warmth" on the high and mids???
No it's not. I do not know about the Ikons unleash_me did recommend, give it a try. Also, beside of the Klipsch and should youcan, try Dynaudio and Canton.

Btw, your Rotel is a straight forward going amp. IME perfect for a lot speakers.

Well, much success and please keep us posted ...

With metal regards
nuRoXX

if you're amp is the rotel dont go for the rs6 (monitor audio) they dont match. infact i;ve heard that there are quite a few speakers that dont match with the rotel - the often are bright and harsh. im not a fan of klipsch or polk audio. i;ve heard that the jbl L880 / L890 are a good match on the rotel. i owned a pair of the l890 and theyre good speakers. very good detail, tight bass (if matched with the right amp), forward presentation - they'll play rock like a dream. i suggest you take the rotel amp with you when you audition the speakers.

Hi afj,

my experience, and not only from hearing from others is: a good amp, like the Rotel, doesn't sounds. It is just amplifying. Amps, which are sounding are either miss-constructions or are not capable driving speaker properly (clipping, uncontrolled bass etc.). I would not put that weight on amp-sound :D But glad to discuss this further...

I feel Dynaudio is one of the better options, but i have no idea how their new entry level series sounds.
Klipsch can also be one option, i would prefer it over the JBL's

How are you goin to place the spk? What is your room size?

NuRoXX i guess we rock guys have a similar beliefs.

Last edited:
Hi,
Somebody's forgetting the Definitive Technologies BP Super Towers...
:rolleyes: Yes the 7000 series...:)
Thumbs up for Klipsch RF series.The Klipsch speakers are high sensitivity speakers and if paired well will reproduce realistic sound pressure levels.And when the kick drum kicks, you can really feel it in your stomach.(If thats the level you like to listen to).

Heavy Metal & Klipsch Speakers:eek: Enjoy.
Regards,
Sam

hi nuroxx
havent heard the rotel series myself, but from vidhu's perspective thats what he/she has so will have to work around it.

from an amplification / sounding point of view, am not sure i clearly understand what you mean. but in an ideal world, amps should just amplify and present the sound fed to them. thats the only way it would present the music like you would hear it live. from a sounding point of view, most of the lower to mid priced amps come with 'character' - warm, bright, etc etc. they're often spoken of as characteristics one looks for in an amp, but in effect they're defects of the amp itself. once you go into the higher priced amps - brystons, classe, mark levinson:) these characteristics arent really there anymore. theres very little difference in sound. the difference often exists in the pre amp (which again is minimal in that range) and also in it being a good match with the cdp and speakers. it simply amplifies what it is being fed and projects it to the speakers. the bass is always tight because thats what its being fed. the highs are clean and extended, because thats what its being fed (assuming you have a good cdp). so imo you need an amplifier that amplifies the sound that is presented to it with good clean power. i hope that i understood what you meant and not off the track:)

Hi vidhu,
Check out the Polk Audio Rti A9 and the LSi 15.
I've not heard the LSi 15 but I've spent a good time with the RTi powered by Denon 3803 AVR.
I've listened to Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Linkin Park & then some...in this setup.
This song by "Linkin Park-Reanimation (Alchemist feat. Chali 2na)" and "what i've done (soundtrack transformers)" played thru the RTi really changed the type of music I listen to.The distortion guitar sound literally came out of the speaker.
And when I listented to Andrea Bocelli live at Tuscany dvd ...I was hooked.:eek:
This speaker can produce large scale sound with excellent Imaging and soundstage.
So don't forget to audition this amazing but underrated speakers.

Cheers,
Sam:cool:

Last edited:
imo polk hasnt made anything ground breaking in the past few years. and neither has klipsch. they both used to be good, but they lag behind right now. polk being a little dull in its presentation, and klipsch being bright (and thats why heavy metal listeners like them). unless you really like that particular characteristic of klipsch its not an easy speaker to fall in love with. but the best thing to do is go out there and listen to a few speakers, if possible.

Hi afj,

I agree with you totally that no decent amplifier (in whatever price range) should ever colour the sound (assuming that people listen to music with tone controls set flat)

I am very happy with the Rotels (the RC-1070 & RB-1080). Let me fill you in on the details.

1. 200 Wpc is a whole lot of power at 8 ohms.
2. How many amps have a damping factor of 1000
3. I have a lot of respect for the B&W 800 series and it truly sounded awesome with the Brystons (when I heard them in Dubai). (the Cds I auditioned with were Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here, Dark side of the moon, The Wall, Dream Theater's Awake & Alice In Chains Unplugged)
Although the Bryston was certainly awesome, the difference in sound was hard to justify the yawning diffence in price between it and the Rotels.

In my opinion, I don't think there is a pre-power amp combo in the market at even twice the price that can compete with these guys and they are built like tanks.

My issue once again.

The Wharfedale 9.6s are pretty timid on the midrange and treble front.
What good is it if the drummer (for eg: YYZ/Neil Peart's drum solo on Exit Stage left) is hammering to kingdom come on the snare or the crashing of the cymbals and what we get to hear is an excuse for that sound.
I no longer understand the terms used by most audiophile like "bright", "warm", "subtle" etc.
Anyone who wants to disagree with me on this are free to do so, but for heaven's sake go listen to any rock concert and then tell me if the treble is not bright, drums not pounding and the guitars loud.

I am looking for a sound similar to that. Let me reiterate. The wharfedales have a great soundstage and good bass, but at the expense of mids and the highs. It might be the sound suited for classical music and the like. But I would rather listen to a Malmsteen's improvisation of the masters rather masters like Mozart, Beethoven, Bach etc.

B&W 800 series is what I would have preferred, but I cannot afford them as of now. However, I want to try the Klipschs and Polks. I prefer Floorstanders only.

Vidhu:

I yet think you are looking at the wrong set of speakers completely. None of the speakers that have been discussed will deliver the effect you are looking for. The Dynas, in particular, are what you will call 'warm'. The Klipschs, Dynas, Polks are all competing in the same market segment. Yes, you might find a particular speaker with heavy bass, but that will not satisfy you.

For your kind of music, you must look at different kind of speakers. Speakers with large woofers, maybe with built in amps that can deliver the punch you are looking for. There are a number of professional speakers that can deliver the goods. In the consumer market, the closest I can think of are speakers from Yamaha and JBL.

Cheers

hi vidhu
wasnt commenting about the rotel. was replying to nuroxx in a general discussion on amps. the rotel is definitely a good amp. if youre looking at speakers audition the jbls L890s. the really are good. you get everything from it. brilliant highs, tight bass which makes rock sound really good. i listen to a lot of rock as well. floyd, gnr, aerosmith, scorpions, jovi, zepplin etc etc. sounded really amazing. apart from that it had clear and very forward mids and very good sound separation which made listening to softer music very pleasing as well - very all round. the only reason i sold mine was that i had paired it with the nad and it wasnt a good match (heard it on other amps and it was much better). i was either looking to get rid of the nad and buy the rotel or sell the jbls and buy the ma rs6. sold the jbls first. not saying dont audition polk and klipsch. but audition the jbls as well

Not that I am any kind of expert in Metal or Rock music.

But would the Wharfedale Xarus series fit the bill here? Based on what I have read, this is what they have been built to reproduce. Live concert ambience. The Xarus 5000 is quite a bit friendly on the pocket too, I think.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back