Hello from Bangalore

marsilians

Hi

I am new to this forum though not new to Home Theatre. I have dabbled in this for close to 10 yrs all the way from a mono cassette player (2-in-1) as they were called to a separates based HT system.

I have a sciene background and I work in IT department of a large pharmaceutical.

I currently run 2 systems.

1:
Samsung Plasma 50 in TV
Outlaw audio 990 pre-amp
Oppo 980 universal player
Parasound Halo 1 amplifier
Axion Audio M60 speakers
QS8 Surrounds
SV Sound PB13-Ultra

2: 2 Channel music system

Cary Cinema Pre-amp
Parasound 855a power amp
Martin Logan Ascents
Cary CD 303 CDPlayer

Sounds like a nice forum to hang around when time permits.

My interests are :

Fusion, Classic Rock, Blues, Jazz, Carnatic and Western Classical

Last edited:
Welcome. Pretty good setup you have. Which artists do you listen to in classic rock and blues?

BTW how would you compare the Axiom M60 to other FS say from Wharfedale if you have heard them? I have read good things about both of them, but am leaning towards the Wharfedale at present since they are available for audition locally with a friend who has them, but no such luck with the M60.

Welcome. Pretty good setup you have.

Thanks moserw. Appreciate your feedback.

Which artists do you listen to in classic rock and blues?
[/QUOTE=moserw]

Too many to list, heres for starters

Doors
Deep Purple
Jimi Hendrix
CCR
AC/DC
Sting
Eric Clapton
Ozzy Osbourne
Rainbow
Pink Floyd
Ten years After
Led Zeppelin
Whitesnake
Phish
Melissa Ethridge
Rolling Stones
Joe Cocker
Van Halen
Def leppard
Santana
Chuck Berry
Janis Joplin
Eagles
Elton John
U2

Blues:
B B King
Ray Charles
John Lee Hooker
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Eric Clapton (I consider him a blues man before anything)
Jeff Beck
Willie Brown
Bo Diddley
Buddy Guy
Albert King
Jeff Beck
Little Richard
Taj Mahal
John Mayall
Koko Taylor
Buddy Guy
Ali Tourke
T-bone Walker

BTW how would you compare the Axiom M60 to other FS say from Wharfedale if you have heard them? I have read good things about both of them, but am leaning towards the Wharfedale at present since they are available for audition locally with a friend who has them, but no such luck with the M60.

I audiotioned a fair bit before making purchases. One thing I don't change too much are the speakers while electronics move once every few years from my setup. I compared the Evo 30s, Opus 3 and M60s. I just fell in love with the sound of Axiom. The WFs are excellent too but I prefer the "fast" sound of Axioms. They are super HT speakers and the QS8s are the best in the world for surrounds. I notice that the WFs are very forgiving in the sense that they will mask the weasknesses in your electronics, however this was one of the reasons I did not buy them since I wanted to listed to the source as un-adultrated as possible.

Don't get me wrong, the WFs are amazing, its just my taste and choice that decided it. Both are amazing sets and as a bonus I got high gloss cherry finish for free!

One thing I am not a fan of is horizontal center speakers esp. if they ahve multiple tweeters and Axiom has theirs that way.

So I decided to go with a vertical setup and use a M22 (timbre matched with 60) as the center. Its vertically installed.

M80s - the best and most expensive model have an additional woofer compared to the 60. Thats all. but its overkill for most people though they ahve a dedicated owner list.

I would not go for M50s or M3s since they sounded muddy to me.

Hope this helps.

Too many to list, heres for starters

CCR
Ozzy Osbourne
Ten years After
Phish

Hey we have quite a lot that's common in music. Only artists I don't listen to from your list are the above. I am not much into blues myself... Always considered Clapton a guitarist's guitarist along with Knopfler!

Coming to the M60/M80 any place in Bangalore where I can audition them? Name of place and a number would help. I would be inclined towards the M60/M80 Home Theater package in totality if they are available.

Thanks a lot for taking the time out to reply. I will touch bases with you next time I am in Bangalore.

Absolutely great to hear moserw. I would love to have you audition my system.

Lately I listen to a lot of fusion, reggae and jazz though I throw in some classic rocks. Last week I heard the 24Karat Gold versoin of LA Woman by Doors. They felt like they were playing in front of me in all their glory.

I live in North Bangalore. Drop me a note when you come so I can make sure I am in town as I tend to travel a bit around the cities.

Welcome to the forum. Just curious on your choice of an HT processor and HT power amp for stereo applications ;). The Speaker and CD Player do seem stellar though.

Marsilians,

I am curious - where did you buy your Axiom speakers? Did you buy it online and get it shipped to Bangalore? If yes, then what was the Customs/Duty that you ended up paying?

I had explored this option (I too am in Bangalore) but abandoned it because I found the customs/duty would add about 37% to the price.
I went with the Paradigm.

Welcome to the forum. Just curious on your choice of an HT processor and HT power amp for stereo applications ;). The Speaker and CD Player do seem stellar though.

This system was built over many years (I travel a fair bit and save 75% of the cost before buying anything as this is a very expensive yet addictive hobby as we all know :) Also I bought them in pieces

The Cary Cinema is one fo the most musical processors around. It easily hangs out with the big boys Sim Audio or Krell without hesitation. I would not recommend it for HT though.

The parasound is a very musical amp and has a tight bass. Funny for me, it sounds like a hybrid tube amp i.e., for some classic recordings it sounds very dynamic and laid back. This will be the piece that will be replaced once I save up on funds. I may replace with either a Sim Audio moon or a Bel Canto. However its a 2011-2012 project :)

Marsilians,

I am curious - where did you buy your Axiom speakers? Did you buy it online and get it shipped to Bangalore? If yes, then what was the Customs/Duty that you ended up paying?

I audiotioned them a few times in States. Also when I travelled in Canada, I visited their factory (they have free tours). Axiom sells only direct via internet and I think lately they might have opened up an ebay store.

I bought the M22 & QS8s with me back while i had the M60s shiped. At that time I paid close to 72K just for the 2 of them including taxes and customs. (it came more than 39%)

Now don't ask me price about the MLs, just ask how they sound.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back