Hello!

AV_aficionado

Hello everyone,

I have been thinking about joining this forum for quite some time and finally took a leap.

I was always fascinated by examples of amazing audio visual experience that could be achieved even in a small room.
I invested a lot of time in reading and learning new concepts and to understand the nuances of the AV world using this forum and others during the past couple of years and built a simple AV setup with the limited budget. The inputs and insights from the esteemed members has been of immense help in decision making and am grateful to that. I have just begun the journey.

The current setup is to enable movie watching on bluray, OTT and files from the hard disk and also music listening at times and I am quite happy with although it took a while for me to place and tune speakers and subwoofer to my liking.

My Current Setup consists of:
AVR: Denon X3700h
Speakers: Taga Harmony 606se LCR & rear surrounds, OWM3 side surrounds - 7.1.0
Subwoofer: Arendal 1961 v1
Screen: Vu TV 65" - supports Dolby vision, 60fps, ARC
Media player: nvidia SHIELD TV Pro
Bluray player: Sony Region Free UBP-X800M2 4K Ultra HD
Samsung CD player

Room setup: L shaped living room (acoustically untreated except for the carpet and curtains) brings in its challenges - room is mostly dedicated for AV experience
Dimension: LxWxH - 19'x10'x10'
MLP - 11' (close to 1/3rds rule) from TV and speakers - L shape extends on the rear right side of the MLP. Added another row of seats with no riser as of now which are at the rear end of the room against the wall.

I would like to take this opportunity to post my query and seek your inputs.

I understand based on numerous discussions that adding 4 ceiling speakers and another subwoofer improves the movie watching experience. I have tried the 5.1.2 setup and was quite impressed.

I would like to add 4 channels(I understand that 2 channels would require an amplifier) for atmos duty. Another thought is to upgrade my side surrounds and use the owm3 as 2 middle atmos speakers. The challenge is that there is no false ceiling and dont intend to get it done.
I have read through recommendations for on-ceiling speakers and also some members have built custom back box for in-ceiling speakers with mounts. I have a limited budget of 30k and was looking for simpler options to add 4 on-wall/ceiling speakers(with mounts) and an amplifier(50w-75w) to power either LR or atmos speakers .

I found these indoor/outdoor speakers with mount options but I couldnt find use cases for atmos duty.
TAGA HARMONY TBS-100 V.2, JBL CONTROL 1, BIC America RtR V44-2

Looking forward for your valuable suggestions and recommendations.

Welcome to the forum! Thank you for joining.
You have put down your requirements really well.

Good luck with your search!

A warm Welcome to the forum... And a very nice introduction 😊👍.

There is no reason why you cannot ceiling mount the shortlisted speakers. I think a lot of members are using bookshelves with wall mounts. Building a back box for a flush mounted driver can look like an eye sore in a living room. Not to mention the problem with hiding the wiring. But if you think you can get past the home minister with 4nos of 4 inch deep boxes on the ceiling. Then bigger Ahuja drivers 8 or 10 inch can do a better job. It will involve a bit of running around and a little DIY. And just maybe stretching your budget a bit more.

Hello everyone,

I have been thinking about joining this forum for quite some time and finally took a leap.

I was always fascinated by examples of amazing audio visual experience that could be achieved even in a small room.
I invested a lot of time in reading and learning new concepts and to understand the nuances of the AV world using this forum and others during the past couple of years and built a simple AV setup with the limited budget. The inputs and insights from the esteemed members has been of immense help in decision making and am grateful to that. I have just begun the journey.

The current setup is to enable movie watching on bluray, OTT and files from the hard disk and also music listening at times and I am quite happy with although it took a while for me to place and tune speakers and subwoofer to my liking.

My Current Setup consists of:
AVR: Denon X3700h
Speakers: Taga Harmony 606se LCR & rear surrounds, OWM3 side surrounds - 7.1.0
Subwoofer: Arendal 1961 v1
Screen: Vu TV 65" - supports Dolby vision, 60fps, ARC
Media player: nvidia SHIELD TV Pro
Bluray player: Sony Region Free UBP-X800M2 4K Ultra HD
Samsung CD player

Room setup: L shaped living room (acoustically untreated except for the carpet and curtains) brings in its challenges - room is mostly dedicated for AV experience
Dimension: LxWxH - 19'x10'x10'
MLP - 11' (close to 1/3rds rule) from TV and speakers - L shape extends on the rear right side of the MLP. Added another row of seats with no riser as of now which are at the rear end of the room against the wall.

I would like to take this opportunity to post my query and seek your inputs.

I understand based on numerous discussions that adding 4 ceiling speakers and another subwoofer improves the movie watching experience. I have tried the 5.1.2 setup and was quite impressed.

I would like to add 4 channels(I understand that 2 channels would require an amplifier) for atmos duty. Another thought is to upgrade my side surrounds and use the owm3 as 2 middle atmos speakers. The challenge is that there is no false ceiling and dont intend to get it done.
I have read through recommendations for on-ceiling speakers and also some members have built custom back box for in-ceiling speakers with mounts. I have a limited budget of 30k and was looking for simpler options to add 4 on-wall/ceiling speakers(with mounts) and an amplifier(50w-75w) to power either LR or atmos speakers .

I found these indoor/outdoor speakers with mount options but I couldnt find use cases for atmos duty.
TAGA HARMONY TBS-100 V.2, JBL CONTROL 1, BIC America RtR V44-2

Looking forward for your valuable suggestions and recommendations.

Hi,

Welcome to HFV.

I am sure you will find your experience here very enriching and enjoyable.

Make sure to visit the countless posts which is based on direct experience, technical knowledge and honest feedback.

Hope you have a great journey here!

All the best!

Thank you Nikhil, pavjamvj, manohar, efernand1. I am considering adding 2 more OWM3 and use all 4 as ceiling speakers and replacing LR surrounds to Wharfedale WH-DFS or Sonodyne Sonus 3540. The cost of OWM3 has skyrocketed by 6k/pair in the last 2 months.

I would like to understand what improvements can be made to my existing setup to get the best out of it. I do not have any reference to check how it actually sounds. Although I enjoy my current setup, I feel it can do better if calibrated well and if the room is acoustically treated.
Investing in the equipment such as the miniDSP, UMIK-2 USB Reference Measurement Microphone for calibration/correction is an expensive option since this may not be done often.

Is there anyone in the forum in Bangalore who can help me with this regards? If not, please suggest any sound engineers who provide services to measure the room acoustics and suggest improvements/acoustic treatments.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back