[HELP!] BEST 3.1 for 1 lakh? - Polk RTI vs Jamo Concert vs B&W 685

JOSAIAH

Guys,

I am looking for the best 3.1 setup amongst the three mentioned here.
Polk RTI A7 + CSi A4 + Dsw pro 500 (Quote is 80,000)
Jamo Concert 407 + C400 + Sub 300 (Quote is 90,000)
B&W 685 + ASW 608 Subwoofer + HTM 62 Center (Quote is 1.38 L)

These are real quotes in Delhi/Gurgaon. Let me know if these are best prices and which dealer in Delhi/Gurgaon will give the best prices.

THE B&W looks pricey but are award winners and so I have considered them. Any one knows how to get the price down?

My budget is 1 lakh.

I have finalised on the Onkyo NR 708 (firmware upgrades + Net Radio + PC streaming advantages over 608)

The reason I dont want the 5.1 (since many will ask) is that I dont want the wires wound around the room. Besides I can do virtual 5.1 with the 708 :D

Room size is 18x12 + L shaped dining.

Fans of other brands can please stay away from recommending any of their "other" favourites so I dont get confused.

I would rank : Jamo > Polk > B&W.

what is ur choice : bs or fs?
thanks

Am I reading this right?. Jamo better than polk and polk better than B&W?.

I used to think the other way about. I have not auditioned B&W or Jamo
but from reading reviews I have that impression. If I have misunderstood,
do help. Thank you.

Am I reading this right?. Jamo better than polk and polk better than B&W?.

I used to think the other way about. I have not auditioned B&W or Jamo
but from reading reviews I have that impression. If I have misunderstood,
do help. Thank you.

The reason why stereo still exists is because it has certain qualities that are lost as soon as they are put through an avr and virtualized. The same reason why tube amps still exist at par with solid state amp.

You will be wasting your money buying an AVR and hooking up just a 3.1 and receiving subpar audio quality compared to something like a pure stereo two channel which can and will deliver far superior quality of detail and texture in sound than any avr can.

You need to decide your application before anything, movies or games or music.

However from my part with your budget, my suggestion is

A suitable 2 channel amp

Dali ikon 6x2 = 70k
A suitable sub thats run through the amp + crossover for left and right = 40k

My dilema is that the kids want to play games. I want to listen to music and my wifey wants to watch movies.

I know there is no utopian solution to this but the closest is best.

Any one knows why the B&Ws are so pricey?

My dilema is that the kids want to play games. I want to listen to music and my wifey wants to watch movies.

I know there is no utopian solution to this but the closest is best.

Any one knows why the B&Ws are so pricey?

B&W and BMW they are pricey why ? Oh well ................ ride them and see ;)

Serious note there are lot of members from delhi having some quality AV gear you shld check with them also visit as many AV outlets as you can before you make a purchase. Try out all the choices music, movies and not sure if you can play games during audition. But never know some might allow you to do that ...

Good luck.

Last edited:
The reason why stereo still exists is because it has certain qualities that are lost as soon as they are put through an avr and virtualized. The same reason why tube amps still exist at par with solid state amp.

You will be wasting your money buying an AVR and hooking up just a 3.1 and receiving subpar audio quality compared to something like a pure stereo two channel which can and will deliver far superior quality of detail and texture in sound than any avr can.

You need to decide your application before anything, movies or games or music.

However from my part with your budget, my suggestion is

A suitable 2 channel amp

Dali ikon 6x2 = 70k
A suitable sub thats run through the amp + crossover for left and right = 40k

ok,

But aren't these configurable to stereo that way you can have the two fronts working when music is playing?

If you use the same speakers and a receiver of the same quality (not price, the price of the 5.1 will be at least 2-4 times as much as the stereo for the level of music quality) then 5.1 is always better than 2.0, not because the sound quality is better, but because of the surround effect and overall immersive experience as found in a cinema theater or perhaps even some discotheques.

However, at a given price point, a stereo receiver is always much better than a 5.1 receiver.

So buying a 5.1 receiver for a given price will result in much lower sound quality than a stereo receiver for the same price, from the same category/brand.

Hence, a 2.0 would result into better sound quality while listening to music, within your budget constraints.

Unless of course you end up spending so much that you can't notice a difference btw the setup you use. :p

I checked out a Onkyo NR708 today and it blew up during the demo. Any one aware of similar issues with Onkyos?

B&W and BMW they are pricey why ? Oh well ................ ride them and see ;)

Serious note there are lot of members from delhi having some quality AV gear you shld check with them also visit as many AV outlets as you can before you make a purchase. Try out all the choices music, movies and not sure if you can play games during audition. But never know some might allow you to do that ...

Good luck.

Thanks mate,

any idea of the average discounts i should expect from the retailers?

Any one know a place to buy Onkyos (NR708, SR608) with best price?

Thanks mate,

any idea of the average discounts i should expect from the retailers?

Any one know a place to buy Onkyos (NR708, SR608) with best price?

Not really sure if any discounts available on these models. But you can save huge sum by sourcing these from abroad. Right now 608 retails between 40-45k. Same you can get 26 to 28 from abroad or may be less.... So you decide. :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back