Help- Blu Ray Player

hi! just wanted to know if upscaling to 1080p or 720p is equal in terms of quality to say an original 720p or 1080p stuff.

Upscaling is a much misunderstood and much maligned technology.

It is a long story, but much of what we have on DVD have actually be scaled down from something like 2000P of an original movie on film. This was done to enable us to play the movies on a CRT that can accept a max of 480i.

As digital TVs became popular 720P, 1080P displays became possible, but movie owners did not deem it fit to reprint the DVDs with higher resolution. This would have meant selling DVDs for particular displays and that meant huge stocking and reprinting costs as well as confusion in the retail market. Most consumers have abysmal knowledge of technology, and one could very well buy a DVD meant for a 720P screen , play it on a 480 monitor, and scream. So the software owners stuck to the lowest possible resolution and expected technology to handle screens with higher resolutions. That is how the market for scaling was born.

You have original 1080P only on Blu-Ray media and that will not be scaled when you play on a 1080 screen. All other movies can be scaled for 720 and 1080 screens. Scaling uses complicated mathematics to fill subsequent pixels with information making the screen resolution larger and smoother. But, yes, if you have a Blu-Ray with original 1080 content, it will be better than a scaled version.

Cheers

Hi,

I have read in the forum that Tata Sky pictures look terrible on Full HD televisions. Is there a way to upscale the Tata Sky pictures?:)

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
If the DVDP with Divx 7 is cheap then great, but I don't think it will be cheap initially. Might be a while before they are available/affordable to all. Also, there is no guarantee Divx 7 will be incorporated into just DVDP. They might be incorporated into Blu-Ray players for all we know since Divx 7 plays HD rips.

Can DVD firmware (oppo)upgrade can play Divx7?

Upscaling is a much misunderstood and much maligned technology.

It is a long story, but much of what we have on DVD have actually be scaled down from something like 2000P of an original movie on film. This was done to enable us to play the movies on a CRT that can accept a max of 480i.

As digital TVs became popular 720P, 1080P displays became possible, but movie owners did not deem it fit to reprint the DVDs with higher resolution. This would have meant selling DVDs for particular displays and that meant huge stocking and reprinting costs as well as confusion in the retail market. Most consumers have abysmal knowledge of technology, and one could very well buy a DVD meant for a 720P screen , play it on a 480 monitor, and scream. So the software owners stuck to the lowest possible resolution and expected technology to handle screens with higher resolutions. That is how the market for scaling was born.

You have original 1080P only on Blu-Ray media and that will not be scaled when you play on a 1080 screen. All other movies can be scaled for 720 and 1080 screens. Scaling uses complicated mathematics to fill subsequent pixels with information making the screen resolution larger and smoother. But, yes, if you have a Blu-Ray with original 1080 content, it will be better than a scaled version.

Cheers

i wish i could create a catalogue of all ur posts! :) pure encyclopaedic knowledge there. thanks for the reply.

Hi,

I have read in the forum that Tata Sky pictures look terrible on Full HD televisions. Is there a way to upscale the Tata Sky pictures?:)

cheers,
sri

btw, i quit big tv and got tata sky plus. :) was an investment all right but worth it. :)

Hi frnd,

I think Tata Sky plus has component out for video and digital out for audio.
Does your PQ and SQ have improved after the upgrade.I will have to spend 6k for upgrading to Tata Sky plus.BTW do u have a Full HD TV?
cheers,
sri

Hi frnd,

I think Tata Sky plus has component out for video and digital out for audio.
Does your PQ and SQ have improved after the upgrade.I will have to spend 6k for upgrading to Tata Sky plus.BTW do u have a Full HD TV?
cheers,
sri

i have a HD ready tv (720p). but that doesnt make a difference simply bcoz tata sky's pic quality is nowhere near dvd quality (forget HD!)

well i had big tv earlier, so no upgrade for me. i had to spend 10 grands to get tata sky plus installed. the pic quality is better than most other dth, except for big tv. (big tv's pic quality is awesome, other than that, its absolutely pure and utter crap!)

sound quality in tata sky plus is awesome! i have to say this. very very impressed with sound quality. it almost makes up for the very average pic quality (even via component). although you might notice that some channels like animal planet etc. have better pic quality than the other channels.

Don't believe this is going to happen long term. All Blu-Ray devices are built to get on the internet and update themselves, content, firmware, etc. Such updates will nullify any hack or workaround unless its done at the chip level in which case updates will not work and the device will not be recognized or will be termed as hacked and as such out of warranty. This live updating feature was incorporated into Blu-Ray for such measures. Just as hacked s/w on the PC will be termed illegal and locked from further usage the same might happen with Blu-Ray too. My PS3 updates/checks itself on a regular basis.

The only solution to this is to prevent internet access altogether but that will hardly make sense since you do want the latest firmware updates, security patches, and so on. Also Blu-Ray discs when inserted in the player will update with the latest subtitles, commentary, behind the scenes action, footage, etc. making the entire medium of Blu-Ray a more interactive one so not getting online defeats the entire purpose.
Don't be so confident on the predictions, Moser.
History is witness to the fact that any lock finds a key-how many times has Microsoft tried to prevent illegal copies of thier OS from working & how often has that been circumvented?
Would you be happy to be tied down to a player that recognises only a particular region code?And if a hack is developed, how many people would be OK with not getting the latest subtitles/directors comments/making of...?
Mark my words,this will happen-lets bet a bottle of beer!

Hi frnd,

I have a Panny CRT 29 TV. I am very satisfied with the PQ of Tata Sky on it. I wont be exaggerating to say this Panny CRT has awesome PQ. I am looking for improvement in sound quality from Tata Sky. The SQ has slightly improved after i changed the audio cable from Tata sky to Onkyo with Bandridge and upgrading my speaker cables to DAC 14AWG. But since the Tata sky plus has digital out, the SQ will improve considerably i think.Your experience also confirms it.

cheers,
sri

Don't be so confident on the predictions, Moser.
History is witness to the fact that any lock finds a key-how many times has Microsoft tried to prevent illegal copies of thier OS from working & how often has that been circumvented?
Would you be happy to be tied down to a player that recognises only a particular region code?And if a hack is developed, how many people would be OK with not getting the latest subtitles/directors comments/making of...?
Mark my words,this will happen-lets bet a bottle of beer!

Oh I hope you are right. I have DVDs from all over in fact and would welcome it very much. Just that I know Sony's history too and the very reason they have this live updating feature incorporated is to combat piracy. In fact you will come across tons of games for every console and even the PC. Check how many cracked games you will come across or get on the internet for the PS3. That will only speak for how determined Sony is.

Also Microsoft never failed. In fact initially when XP was cracked/hacked the auto updates from MS would recognize it as an invalid serial and the system OS was locked from further usage requiring the user to purchase a valid XP licence. This was MS's initial stand and they went ahead and blatantly blocked all invalid licences. What this did was everyone on every forum began to say not to go for live updates saying it was not important. This in turn led to an increase in viruses and systems getting hacked and a lot of public outcry against MS and so MS backtracked. MS as such did not fail. I'm not too sure Sony will backtrack in the face of public outcry like MS did though. Sony in fact incorporated a rootkit virus on MJ's Invincible CD, that's the lengths Sony will go to protect their own interests.

I just don't trust Sony. They've learnt from their past mistakes. They had a better product in Betamax and yet lost to VHS in the 1980s. This time around they absolutely decimated HD-DVD even though it had Microsoft's backing and everyone said HD-DVD could not lose, yet see what happened. In a while they may be the only ones left with a proprietary format in Blu-Ray (if and when DVDs are phased out) and us customers without any choice.

Yeah let's bet a beer and lunch/dinner along with it and I hope I will lose for sure.

Hi frnd,

I have a Panny CRT 29 TV. I am very satisfied with the PQ of Tata Sky on it. I wont be exaggerating to say this Panny CRT has awesome PQ. I am looking for improvement in sound quality from Tata Sky. The SQ has slightly improved after i changed the audio cable from Tata sky to Onkyo with Bandridge and upgrading my speaker cables to DAC 14AWG. But since the Tata sky plus has digital out, the SQ will improve considerably i think.Your experience also confirms it.

cheers,
sri

If you have the Panasonic Tau 29" CRT then you are right. It's an awesome TV. In fact I got one just for the bedroom to watch Tata Sky on it.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back