Help - Bought a house, what next :)

madbullram

I bought a house in Velachery in Nov 2008. I had to travel immedialty so couldn't do the other transfers etc immediately. Now that I am back, wanted to get a hang of whats pending but i am getting varied feedback and sometimes scary scenarios in dealing with government offices so thought will ask the forum people if anyone can guide.

Now that have bought the house, whats pending (i think), Transfer of name:
1. Property Tax
2. Water Tax
3. EB Card

Have already changed by address in ration card.

q1: Is this all required to complete the legal formalities or am i missing something?
q2: Can I do this on my own if I take 1 or max 2 days leave (cant afford more) :argue:
q3: Agents are asking anywhere between 4k to 8k:annoyed: to do this for me. Is that the market rate?

Pls help :sos:p

Congrats... Party due next time I am in town!

You will need to update address for all like ration card, voter ID, etc. Also, registration of house in your name, etc. That's about I remember doing for my house. Water, telephone, electricity can be done at one place. Not sure about the market rate for agents though I had to pay the guys who came to setup the telephone, electricity wiring, etc., but those were small petty amounts like Rs. 200-300. Also, remember to have address changed for gas connection or maybe transfer to the local gas agency.

Congrats... Party due next time I am in town!

You will need to update address for all like ration card, voter ID, etc. Also, registration of house in your name, etc. That's about I remember doing for my house. Water, telephone, electricity can be done at one place. Not sure about the market rate for agents though I had to pay the guys who came to setup the telephone, electricity wiring, etc., but those were small petty amounts like Rs. 200-300. Also, remember to have address changed for gas connection or maybe transfer to the local gas agency.

Moserji, for you anytime a party is on :)

Have done registration, gas, and ration card formalities. Have just applied for Voters card :)

Here they are saying I have to goto Corporation office do the property name transfer which will takle 1 month, then take to EB office submit all proofs then an affidavit and get it changed, then goto metro water submit all proof etc and get it changed.

All in all will take around 30 to 60 days and too much running around. Thats why i though of an agent but these guys charge a lot. So wanted to know if anyone has experience in doing this.

If 3k for an agent is nominal dont mind paying and getting it done :)

Unfortunately no idea about the agent's fees. I did what I could. Of course dad was there to help more than anybody else. He did most of the running around since me being in private employment at that time could not take a lot of leaves.

Unfortunately no idea about the agent's fees. I did what I could. Of course dad was there to help more than anybody else. He did most of the running around since me being in private employment at that time could not take a lot of leaves.

Exactly, recession time cant afford too much away time

Were you induced to the deal as they offered you Focals for free? :)
Kidding MBR- Congrats on your new house.
The next time you are in Bangalore- do buzz me and I will be delighted to meet you.

Were you induced to the deal as they offered you Focals for free? :)
Kidding MBR- Congrats on your new house.
The next time you are in Bangalore- do buzz me and I will be delighted to meet you.

Wish they did and I am serious, now my focals are up for a change and the bill is kind of scary :lol:

Will sure ping you mate, mostly will be driving my Jeep to Bangy to get the audio system fixed. Have a good friend in bangy who is gonna make a stealth audio install in my jeep :)

Will sure ping you mate, mostly will be driving my Jeep to Bangy to get the audio system fixed. Have a good friend in bangy who is gonna make a stealth audio install in my jeep :)

Congratulations on the new house.
May I ask, whom are getting the ICE done from.

Have done registration, gas, and ration card formalities. Have just applied for Voters card :)

Here they are saying I have to goto Corporation office do the property name transfer which will takle 1 month, then take to EB office submit all proofs then an affidavit and get it changed, then goto metro water submit all proof etc and get it changed.

The most important is registration in your name. Once that is done, you are on solid rock. Secondly gas is important as we need it. Ration card is anyways useless as we cannot buy anything using that. But for id proof, it does make sense to get that also changed. If I remember right, this has to be done in the Mylapore office.

Don't worry about corporation or EB. Just find out who your corporation tax collector is, and he will most probably come home and finish all the formalities. They are desperate to collect tax and the tax collectors are most friendly guys. When we meet, I can get your address and ask my tax collector for the details. If you have to pay, it makes more sense to pay these guys.

Regarding EB, nothing needs to be done. My EB connection is still in the name of original owner even after 15 years. It does make sense to get it changed, but it is not a life and death situation. Nothing beyond registration, gas and ration card is important.

Cheers

Last edited:
The most important is registration in your name. Once that is done, you are on solid rock. Secondly gas is important as we need it. Ration card is anyways useless as we cannot buy anything using that. But for id proof, it does make sense to get that also changed. If I remember right, this has to be done in the Mylapore office.

Don't worry about corporation or EB. Just find out who your corporation tax collector is, and he will most probably come home and finish all the formalities. They are desperate to collect tax and the tax collectors are most friendly guys. When we meet, I can get your address and ask my tax collector for the details. If you have to pay, it makes more sense to pay these guys.

Regarding EB, nothing needs to be done. My EB connection is still in the name of original owner even after 15 years. It does make sense to get it changed, but it is not a life and death situation. Nothing beyond registration, gas and ration card is important.

Cheers

Venkat, I def need property tax to be changed to my name bcos I will get Tax Benefit under 80c. So its important. For that looks like we need go to corporation office and apply. I am not clear on the procedure :(

Congrats on the new house, Ram! I am sure others here are better in providing the other information you have requested.

And i thought this forum is for discussing audio & video.

Just joking.... Anyway congrats for the new house.

Rajneesh

And i thought this forum is for discussing audio & video.

Just joking.... Anyway congrats for the new house.

Rajneesh

LOL, Thanks. trust me I had this question for more than a month and refrained from posting it. Couldnt get any good help, so mustered the courage and posted it in chit Chat

Here is a list of things that may help
One-time activities
1. Registration of sale deed
2. Khata (land rights) transfer
3. Transfer of electricity
4. Transfer of telephone if any

Regular activities
5. Property taxes

In terms of importance - 1. is mandatory and has to be done asap the rest has to be done, but can wait.
Points 3 and 4 are good to do as you will get to know if there are outstandings with the old owner (also helps in building address proof)

In terms of bribe, if you are getting all these done in 3k Rs. go do it. In Blore, just the registration will take a lot more. The big 'bribe' items are 1 and 2.
Point 5 you need to do before March 31.

Hope this helps

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back