Help configuration speakers for rock and heavy with tube amp

andrex

Hi everyone, I hope to write in the right section, I would like to ask for help on some speakers, as I am a new entry and I love to listen to rock, hard rock, heavy metal, genres like Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Credence etc. etc. . Everyone recommends a solid state amp for this genre of music, but I wouldn't want to give up admiring a nice tube amp in the cabinet. I was looking at this amplifier produced by an Italian craftsman https://www.gabrisamp.it/prodotti/integrati/valver-ml-130/
with the data entered under the amplifier, which speakers in a budget of about 700-800 euros and a room of about 20sqm what type of speakers would you combine with an amplifier like the ML-130? I also add that as a turntable I still do not have one so I evaluate your advice on this too. Thank you

V1 - EL34​

ConfigurationPush & Pull
Stereo Output Power40w + 40w
Number of inputs3 Line (RCA)
Sensitivity Inputs0.7V
Impedance Inputs47 KΩ
Frequency Response20Hz - 50KHz 1w
Signal to noise ratio98 dB
Distortion ≤ 0,1% / 1W
Impedance Outputs4Ω - 8 Ω Selectable
Exit to Record0,35V / 47 KΩ
Dimensions LxWxH410mm x 300mm x 205mm
Weight19 Kg
BIASAUTOMATIC
Final ValvesEL34 (x4) Esterne
Pre Line Valves6N1P-EV (x4) Esterne
Operating voltage220v - 240v / 50-60 Hz
Electricity grid consumption160 - 240 Wh
Manufacturer Warranty5 years

Hi everyone, I hope to write in the right section, I would like to ask for help on some speakers, as I am a new entry and I love to listen to rock, hard rock, heavy metal, genres like Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Credence etc. etc. . Everyone recommends a solid state amp for this genre of music, but I wouldn't want to give up admiring a nice tube amp in the cabinet. I was looking at this amplifier produced by an Italian craftsman https://www.gabrisamp.it/prodotti/integrati/valver-ml-130/
with the data entered under the amplifier, which speakers in a budget of about 700-800 euros and a room of about 20sqm what type of speakers would you combine with an amplifier like the ML-130? I also add that as a turntable I still do not have one so I evaluate your advice on this too. Thank you

V1 - EL34​

ConfigurationPush & Pull
Stereo Output Power40w + 40w
Number of inputs3 Line (RCA)
Sensitivity Inputs0.7V
Impedance Inputs47 KΩ
Frequency Response20Hz - 50KHz 1w
Signal to noise ratio98 dB
Distortion≤ 0,1% / 1W
Impedance Outputs4Ω - 8 Ω Selectable
Exit to Record0,35V / 47 KΩ
Dimensions LxWxH410mm x 300mm x 205mm
Weight19 Kg
BIASAUTOMATIC
Final ValvesEL34 (x4) Esterne
Pre Line Valves6N1P-EV (x4) Esterne
Operating voltage220v - 240v / 50-60 Hz
Electricity grid consumption160 - 240 Wh
Manufacturer Warranty5 years
I would go for the KT-88 model. A little more power/headroom for you. Also do ask of the KT-88 model works with 6550, KT-120 or KT-150 tubes since it is auto-bias. If so use KT-120.

Another good brand on the same lines is Primaluna.

Being a dedicated 'metal-head' myself since the 1980s, and having heard bands play live both at smaller venues and large areneas, the listening experience with this genre is slightly different from almost all other genres. The vocalists (frontmen or women) are not singing with their natural voices and the guitar portfolio and keyboards (if used) are processed and amplified (even for acoustic guitar-work on metal ballads). To some extent, the drums are recorded acoustically but most bands equalize their bass drum and snare presentation, and some bands like Def Leppard for example, use fully wired drum kits or in other cases, partially wired drum and midi compliments are incorporated.

The objective of an audiophile listening experience is to generally achieve a sound presentation as close as possible to the original live sound or as close as possible to the original mastereing done while mixing and recording. For metal music, the more the impact, the more the thunder, the more the venom, the more the fury, always the better. For metal heads, very honest sound reproduction, especially in the mid-range spectrum, ends up killing the experience. Personally i have struggled to find a metal music rig which can play other genres and vice versa. Finally I figured out that it is best to set up a rig that can sound great for all the other genres but the moment I change the genre to metal, I my switch on my Behringer DEQ 2496 and create my own head-banding experience. So I would say, preamplification and eq are the key factors, coupled with a powerful poweramp and speakers that can take a pounding (tube or solid state does not matter actually)

Edit: for 70s rock, Glam Rock (not to be confused with 80s Glam metal), Surf Rock, AOR, etc, regular rigs sound great. For the other genres like Punk, Thrash, Groove, Glam metal, Power, NU, Death, etc, amped-up rigs are the way to go :)

Last edited:
Personally i have struggled to find a metal music rig which can play other genres and vice versa. Finally I figured out that it is best to set up a rig that can sound great for all the other genres but the moment I change the genre to metal, I my switch on my Behringer DEQ 2496 and create my own head-banding experience.
I echo the sentiment. I'm yet to find a setup that can play all genres "equally" well. The closest one can get to listening to decent metal is on a rig setup for electronic music. Poor recordings and masterings of obscure metal also don't help. Sibilance can get on your nerves.

Pish posh, a good system does everything well, yes you may prefer certain genres with certain DSP settings but the system itself is capable. I leave it at the same settings for everything, for video sometimes I will switch on my low bass subs but otherwise it's the same.

I honestly wouldnt bother with push-pull tube amps. They are neither here nor there, IMO - they lack the timbral accuracy of single ended tube amps, and they lack the power and precision of solid state amps. Just get a solid state amp and find speakers which have the right sound palette for you.

Hi andrex - sounds like you want a tube amp :) I know it's not what you want to hear (and we've been there), but the best reply is:

"What they said".

Get an economical decent SS amp and put the lion's share of the money toward speakers that will "play everything". This will save you time, money, and grief in the long-run (don't ask us how we know)--and you'll have good speakers that play your stuff.

If you still feel that you want to explore tube amps, choosing higher-sensitivity speakers (say 95-ish on up) will allow more choices in tube amps in the future.

good morning, unfortunately the budget is not very high, now I do not have sharp ears like yours looking for perfection from the sound, precisely because I am a new entry, I think that upgrades are always done in time I understand that for those who love perfection prefer a single ended to a push pull but I have no figures to be able to afford it a 300b, plus I don't know if it's a passion that takes hold over time, so I prefer to have something cheaper but still of quality and elegance without spending figures definitely out of reach, I know that gabris makes quality amplifiers, I humbly think I would be satisfied even with a system that does not border on perfection.

good morning, unfortunately the budget is not very high, now I do not have sharp ears like yours looking for perfection from the sound, precisely because I am a new entry, I think that upgrades are always done in time I understand that for those who love perfection prefer a single ended to a push pull but I have no figures to be able to afford it a 300b, plus I don't know if it's a passion that takes hold over time, so I prefer to have something cheaper but still of quality and elegance without spending figures definitely out of reach, I know that gabris makes quality amplifiers, I humbly think I would be satisfied even with a system that does not border on perfection.

That's why i am recommending a solid stage amplifer. Get something like a Marantz, which is easy to pair and works well with most stuff, and spend the bulk of your budget on speakers. Spending the bulk of your budget on speakers is what will give you the most bang for your buck.

I understand that the solid state amplifier is less expensive and versatile, but let's say that I like to see a tube in a piece of furniture at home, a good pair of speakers for a solid state amplifier is as good as for a tube one, maybe I could wait and put aside some money a bit more for the speakers but without sacrificing the idea of owning a tube, in your opinion with that tube version both el34 and KT88 which will have 10watt more which speakers would you like to approach them at the prices of a person who looks for first time in the audio world?

I understand that the solid state amplifier is less expensive and versatile, but let's say that I like to see a tube in a piece of furniture at home, a good pair of speakers for a solid state amplifier is as good as for a tube one, maybe I could wait and put aside some money a bit more for the speakers but without sacrificing the idea of owning a tube, in your opinion with that tube version both el34 and KT88 which will have 10watt more which speakers would you like to approach them at the prices of a person who looks for first time in the audio world?

Re. which is better - the type of tube is probably less important than the plate/bias voltage of the design and the quality of the output transformers being used. Everyone has their own preferences with regards to topology - some try for max power, others design for clean specs, others design with reduced feedback, etc. So without knowing that information, it is impossible to guess which amp will sound better to your ears - certainly, the tube type wont tell you that answer.

A rough analogy for this question is asking whether Restaurant A's chicken biryani is tastier than Restaurant B's chicken biryani because A uses Uncle Ben's rice and B uses Aunt Jeminah's rice. There is no answer to that, except that i now have a hankering for biryani.

A rough analogy for this question is asking whether Restaurant A's chicken biryani is tastier than Restaurant B's chicken biryani because A uses Uncle Ben's rice and B uses Aunt Jeminah's rice. There is no answer to that, except that i now have a hankering for biryani.
Its the weekend…go and get yourself a plateful or two or three……😂
I am going into my kitchen to see if I have all the ingredients and make some……

If you need tube flickering, get a tube buffer (realtively cheap) with SS integrateds or go for a hybrid (tube pre and SS power ).

Hi andrex
I can see why you’re so enamoured with the ML 130; it looks stunning! :)
@manek has given you the best advice here - go with the KT88 option. Not just because it has more power, but the ‘88s will work much better for classic rock. They have far more bass and top end extension than the ‘34s, which are sweeter in the midrange.
Regarding speakers in your budget, I’d look at the Magnat Transpuls 1000 or 1500. With their larger bass drivers and higher sensitivity, they should provide all the rock and roll you need.
Finally, as both you and the amp makers are located in Italy, why not get in touch with them? I’m sure they can provide you with the best advice when it comes to their amp with different speakers.
Happy listening!

Its the weekend…go and get yourself a plateful or two or three……😂
I am going into my kitchen to see if I have all the ingredients and make some……

Ha, as it turns out, i did do just that. Hope you had all the ingredients as well :)

Now post-meal coma on my recliner, with some music....

another curiosity, for the rock and heavy genre, you prefer a speaker box in reflex or closed case, for example I imagine when I hear a live drums have a very dry, decisive and fast sound I think a closed box box is more suitable for my feeling.

Ha, as it turns out, i did do just that. Hope you had all the ingredients as well :)

Now post-meal coma on my recliner, with some music....
Oh yeah ! Found them. Its on the stove an hour to go on a sloooooow burn. 😃

My time for post biryani coma will be post 9.30 pm.

👍

another curiosity, for the rock and heavy genre, you prefer a speaker box in reflex or closed case, for example I imagine when I hear a live drums have a very dry, decisive and fast sound I think a closed box box is more suitable for my feeling.
A closed box is more suitable for
everything ! But I am in the minority sadly.😕

But some klipsch speakers with their horn loaded drivers maybe just the thing with a tube amp for this application.

KLH, Klipsch (Yeah with 10/12 '' Full range drivers and Horns) are best for Metal , Rock . As few members mentioned Closed box can bring big magic compared to Ported one's.

Since you have started the journey, Better to try speakers in per-owned section to grab some decent one to start with.

Oh yeah ! Found them. Its on the stove an hour to go on a sloooooow burn. 😃

My time for post biryani coma will be post 9.30 pm.
KLH, Klipsch (Yeah with 10/12 '' Full range drivers and Horns) are best for Metal , Rock . As few members mentioned Closed box can bring big magic compared to Ported one's.

Since you have started the journey, Better to try speakers in per-owned section to grab some decent one to start with.
Yes KLH would be also a very good option !
But are they available here ?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back