Help for Wharfedale diamond 9.2 configuration with denon 1610

meetpsush

I have recently bought wharfedale 9.2 from fellow FM and I am using these speakers with Denon 1610 AVR.

I already have 5.1 setup so only replaced front speakers with these diamonds.

I am not able to feel the punch of these speakers (bass) when running in stereo mode.
I am using sub of my existing 5.1 setup.

I tried various settings in AVR. (Xover freq, LFE+MAIN, Front set to SMALL/LARGE).

Any help/ suggestions would be really appreciated in case of I am missing something.

Thanks in advance

I have recently bought wharfedale 9.2 from fellow FM and I am using these speakers with Denon 1610 AVR.

I already have 5.1 setup so only replaced front speakers with these diamonds.

I am not able to feel the punch of these speakers (bass) when running in stereo mode.
I am using sub of my existing 5.1 setup.

I tried various settings in AVR. (Xover freq, LFE+MAIN, Front set to SMALL/LARGE).

Any help/ suggestions would be really appreciated in case of I am missing something.

Thanks in advance

if you have set the crossover frequency in sub then low frequencies will only be felt via the sub. Did you try to switch off sub option in AVR and try ?

with going back to old setup instead of diamonds, are you able to get enough bass from the front speakers with no sub ?

Hi Did you try running the audyssey again. Most probably the Eq is set for smaller satellite speakers.
Also try "Pure Direct" option. If it sounds better than "Stereo", it definitely may be the EQ issue.
Cheers
Sam

Yes i have seen the issue of little weak bass response because of auto eq or dynamic eq. Check that and i guess you should be fine with it. If you are looking to hit very low frequencies then i would suggest a sub would be essential.
However try playing with the tone control settings in avr which allows you to adjust bass and treble. Increase the bass a few notches and there should be considerable difference

Hi Did you try running the audyssey again. Most probably the Eq is set for smaller satellite speakers.
Also try "Pure Direct" option. If it sounds better than "Stereo", it definitely may be the EQ issue.
Cheers
Sam

It turned out to be this issue only. When I re ran Audessy it adjusted fronts to LARGE with no freq cut-off (FULL BAND). So speakres started sounding nice. Now I have one observation that after these new settings, SUB is not playing to its potential. I mean very low bass even if I increase SUB channel DB level to match/ 2 notches above FRONT channel DB level.

When using AVR for stereo playback, always use the pure direct mode... This will override all the functions on the AVR, and will treat your BS speakers as LARGE by default....

For movies, you can use Audyssey...

It turned out to be this issue only. When I re ran Audessy it adjusted fronts to LARGE with no freq cut-off (FULL BAND). So speakres started sounding nice. Now I have one observation that after these new settings, SUB is not playing to its potential. I mean very low bass even if I increase SUB channel DB level to match/ 2 notches above FRONT channel DB level.
Good. Set the front speaker to "SMALL" and set the crossover frequency to 80Hz( THX recommended) or 60Hz. Play around these 2 values here.
This is for movies setup. For exclusive music listening go full range(Large).

PURE DIRECT = 2 Speakers (Full Range)
DIRECT = 2 Speakers + Subwoofer optional.
Stereo = 2 Speakers + Subwoofer + EQ

I'm sorry I don't know what subwoofer you are using, to get more output use a Y-splitter to feed your subwoofer inputs (L-R). You can gain min 2-3db more output.
Hope this helps.

Cheers
Sam

Good. Set the front speaker to "SMALL" and set the crossover frequency to 80Hz( THX recommended) or 60Hz. Play around these 2 values here.
This is for movies setup. For exclusive music listening go full range(Large).

PURE DIRECT = 2 Speakers (Full Range)
DIRECT = 2 Speakers + Subwoofer optional.
Stereo = 2 Speakers + Subwoofer + EQ

I'm sorry I don't know what subwoofer you are using, to get more output use a Y-splitter to feed your subwoofer inputs (L-R). You can gain min 2-3db more output.
Hope this helps.

Cheers
Sam

Thats quite a good info. I am using Y-splitter for SUB input. As of now I am listening on STEREO mode with SUB ON. Somehow I am not able to switch to DIRECT/PURE DIRECT mode. I have Denon 1610 and I do not have original remote. If you could tell me how to switch it on from menu options OSD.

When I switch front speaker to LARGE, cross over freq for Front speakers set to 40HZ. Is it the same full range?
Thanks

Somehow I am not able to switch to DIRECT/PURE DIRECT mode. I have Denon 1610 and I do not have original remote. If you could tell me how to switch it on from menu options OSD.

When I switch front speaker to LARGE, cross over freq for Front speakers set to 40HZ. Is it the same full range?
Thanks
For 1610 I think Direct/Stereo is only available. You can access it from the main unit itself by toggle through the surround modes button on the front panel.
On most systems LARGE means full range.
When along with Large main speaker settings and Subwoofer = ON is used , the low frequency which needs reinforcement must be specified to the subwoofer.
In your case , all the frequency below 40Hz will be sent to the subwoofer.
If you set it to 80Hz both your Main speaker and Subwoofer will reproduce the frequency below 80Hz, thereby doubling the perceived bass output.
But for purists this may result in muddy bass response & requires careful tuning. Seamless integration is the key here.
So Just play around.
Cheers Sam

Setting cutoff freq to front @ 80 did work. But I am not sure if my front speakers will play any bass (as in double bass settings) or only freq above 80 will be played by front and sub will play < 80.

"fronts will play Full range and sub will play < 80"

When you set the fronts to SMALL, it will play all frequencies above 80hz and below 80hz the Sub takes over.
Cheers
Sam

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back