HELP!!! Fungal Infection on the Speaker Front Gauze

tanmayj

Folks, monsoons have hit Mumbai in full force! As all Mumbaikars know, this means humidity through the roof and perpetually damp clothes for the next few months!

But this has resulted in another issue here. My Polk TSi 400 Floorstanders' front Gauze has been hit by a Fungal Infection! I wiped it clean once but it reappears in a few days!

Thankfully it's only hit the gauze, not the actual speaker; and the sound is not affected.

Anybody has any idea how to deal with this?

Now the front grille is a cloth-like gauze in a plastic frame, so I can remove it and wash it clean if required, but I'm not sure I wanna do that in the monsoon! I'd done that once many months ago in peak summertime.

I tried to search for Anti-Fungal treatments but it throws up Ointments that you typically use in your groin! :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Wash with detergent and water then dry in a dessicator with silica gel. Fungal spores are very difficult to kill.

RegeHA Do you have any anti fungal spray in mind?
Audiodoc what's a dessicator? Can u post some links or pics

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

RegeHA Do you have any anti fungal spray in mind?

Nothing specific in mind. Anything that treats Athlete's foot, Jock itch, etc. However, I'll let other FMs chime in/correct me if its not the right course of action specific to speakers. But I'm assuming it will be fine, as long as you spray lightly.

Another option is a dehumidifier or room heater. Anything that removes moisture and heats the room will work just fine.

Dessicator technically is a air tight vessel used in labs and factories and contains substances like silica gel which decrease the humidity of the air within to very low levels. You can make a DIY Dessicator with an air tight polythene bag and few packets of silica gel. Without moisture the chances of sporulation of fungi will be low.

Wash the grille with detergent and finally rinse with Dettol mixed in water. Blow dry with the heat setting on low or under a running fan.

Try vinegar. It does kill mold.
Use on a small patch first because vinegar may sometimes cause discoloration

Last edited:
perhaps a bit of all of the above - washing, dettol, drying, anti fungal spray...

Well I don't know how, but the infection has disappeared on its own!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I noticed the same thing on my Q Acoustics speakers yesterday. The front grilles of Q Acoustics are easily removable (they are magnetic). Hence I just removed them and cleaned them with a wet cloth and then again with a dry cloth.

I would advise not to use any other method for removing the fungus. I guess we Mumbaikars will have to bear this during the monsoon months. We may have to keep doing this on a weekly or a fortnightly basis based on how much more it comes back.

Using any harmful chemicals or abrasives may damage the finishing of the grille cloth, hence do not use them.

Regards,

Pushkaraj

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back