Mind the gap!

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
I finally put granite bases below my Tannoys and removed the spikes placing them on the granite slabs.. Little bit of an improvement but it could well have been psychological..
Put half squash balls under the granite slabs and the bass has tightened surely with better clarity in the mids.. Also realised that my wooden floor tiles are uneven as the spikes on the granite slabs were not stable.. So yes, I think the squash balls have done their bit in improving the sound and minding the gap between the speakers and the floor..

Or the “gap” widens,.... above :)
@SachinChavan did you imagine this happening when you started this thread?
No. However I wonder whether unlike the X and Y coordinates there’s much leeway to adjusting the Z coordinate. It’s dictated by our sitting height (ear level) - there’s no option to move the speakers up without also levitating oneself. Room treatment is a possible approach, but that’s OT for this thread.

No. However I wonder whether unlike the X and Y coordinates there’s much leeway to adjusting the Z coordinate. It’s dictated by our sitting height (ear level) - there’s no option to move the speakers up without also levitating oneself. Room treatment is a possible approach, but that’s OT for this thread.

The height of ceiling at my house in Kochi is almost half time more than my flat in Pune and I do feel it made some difference at lows and low mid

Yes, of course it is possible to increase or decrease the height of the speaker stands. It's also possible to tilt the speakers up or down to adjust for the ceiling height.

Yes, of course it is possible to increase or decrease the height of the speaker stands. It's also possible to tilt the speakers up or down to adjust for the ceiling height.
There was this other thread about soundstage and imaging where the “height” was discussed. I can’t recall how it ended...

Off topic....are half squash balls able to take the weight of the speakers on granite...without getting squashed.

They are badly squashed as each speaker with the granite slab weighs almost 40 kgs. But then that's their job as they are used to getting a beating by the racket.
Even if they get squashed, I assume they are absorbing the vibration and make the granite slab balanced..

If you do that without changing your sitting height, the tweeters won’t match your ear level.

If you do that without changing your sitting height, the tweeters won’t match your ear level.
Sachin, maybe we are going ot here but I don't believe that tweeters need to be exactly at ear level. Tweeters can be positioned differently on different cabinets. In mine, the tweeters have the midrange driver above them and the woofer below, unlike the more common arrangement of tweeters at the top. Some speakers have multiple tweeters, all in different positions. Moreover, if one can be off axis horizontally then why not vertically? I've also observed dramatic effects on sound stage by tilting the cabinet. Like Prem said earlier, nothing is cast in stone.

Sachin, maybe we are going ot here but I don't believe that tweeters need to be exactly at ear level. Tweeters can be positioned differently on different cabinets. In mine, the tweeters have the midrange driver above them and the woofer below, unlike the more common arrangement of tweeters at the top. Some speakers have multiple tweeters, all in different positions. Moreover, if one can be off axis horizontally then why not vertically? I've also observed dramatic effects on sound stage by tilting the cabinet. Like Prem said earlier, nothing is cast in stone.
@Fiftyfifty, even then, for a given speaker the relative height between ears and the drivers is fixed. That’d leave no possibility to differentially change the height of the speaker and the listener without affecting the experience. Hope I am communicating this effectively.

Horizontally we have two speakers, so it’s possible to alter the distance between them. That freedom doesn’t exist vertically.

@Fiftyfifty, even then, for a given speaker the relative height between ears and the drivers is fixed. That’d leave no possibility to differentially change the height of the speaker and the listener without affecting the experience. Hope I am communicating this effectively.

Horizontally we have two speakers, so it’s possible to alter the distance between them. That freedom doesn’t exist vertically.
I'm talking about 'affecting the experience'. You may like it if you can try it without too much physical effort.

That's true, it does depend on the design. The Merlin's I owned earlier were recommended by the manufacturer to keep ear level between tweeter and woofer. . Some older monitors had tweeter below ear level as well

I finally put granite bases below my Tannoys and removed the spikes placing them on the granite slabs.. Little bit of an improvement but it could well have been psychological..
Put half squash balls under the granite slabs and the bass has tightened surely with better clarity in the mids.. Also realised that my wooden floor tiles are uneven as the spikes on the granite slabs were not stable.. So yes, I think the squash balls have done their bit in improving the sound and minding the gap between the speakers and the floor..
Sir, Get suitable Isoacoustics Gaia feet for your Tannoys, you'll never have to go through this experiments ever again, I've tried the Slabs, Smiley balls, Aptilig Boards, SF Cera pods, SVS Subwoofer isolation feet for my Focal Aria Floorstanders. Gaia 3s were the most rewarding ones as they improved the bass frequency resolution by few notches at the same time cleared the mids in realistic way. They're a must accessory for my speaker systems, SVS Subwoofer isolation feet are the next best economic upgrade in my experience.

I have tried the golden ratio principles in speaker placement with the following distance from the front walls - 53", 66" & 72". After 1 trillion+ hours of listening I finally settled with 66" distance from the front wall. Using golden ratio the woofer center is around 26" from side wall. The distance between left and right speaker center is also 66" and my room width is 118".

Sir, Get suitable Isoacoustics Gaia feet for your Tannoys, you'll never have to go through this experiments ever again, I've tried the Slabs, Smiley balls, Aptilig Boards, SF Cera pods, SVS Subwoofer isolation feet for my Focal Aria Floorstanders. Gaia 3s were the most rewarding ones as they improved the bass frequency resolution by few notches at the same time cleared the mids in realistic way. They're a must accessory for my speaker systems, SVS Subwoofer isolation feet are the next best economic upgrade in my experience.

The Gaia 3 cost quite a bit and maybe when my penny stocks trade in multiples of my buying price, i might try them. Till such time I am quite happy with my squash balls as I get to use them even after squashing them in the squash court..

It's a free hack and works quite decently for me..

Attached is a picture of my granite slab on squash balls ..

Attachments

• 1612456122934-253167693.jpg
    1612456122934-253167693.jpg
    769.5 KB · Views: 70
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back