Mind the gap!

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
42 inches (+/- a few mm) front baffle to front wall works best in my room. This figure was arrived at after lots and lots of trials. Less than this and the room doesn't "lock". More than this doesn't bring audible gains.

Side wall to center of woofer/tweeter is one-fifth of the room width.

Pillows hung on the first reflection points of side wall focuses the sound. Without the pillows the sound degrades.
I am trying different positions too, haven’t got to the “lock” point yet.
Cushions/Pillows on the walls are on my list now. If it works, then acoustic panels?

42 inches (+/- a few mm) front baffle to front wall works best in my room. This figure was arrived at after lots and lots of trials. Less than this and the room doesn't "lock". More than this doesn't bring audible gains.

Side wall to center of woofer/tweeter is one-fifth of the room width.

Pillows hung on the first reflection points of side wall focuses the sound. Without the pillows the sound degrades.

What is the width of front wall?

Simplistically speaking:
Speakers have baffle step compensation (BSC) built in their crossover. The frequencies with lengths shorter than the width of the baffle radiate energy (most of it!) forward and those longer than the baffle wrap around the sides of the baffle which is a loss. This is compensated for in the crossover. Now this wrapped around energy is re-radiated back at the listener depending on proximity to room boundaries. Full BSC built in is typically 6dB. If 6dB, and if placed close to room boundaries then lower mids are b(l)oomy. If half BSC (3dB) is built in then placement close to boundaries sounds balanced. It's a balancing act. Manufacturers do not usually state how much BSC is built into their speaker - instead they (usually) recommend distance from boundaries. If not specified, one needs to correspond with them and ask them how much is ideal - they will always tell you. Then there is room gain - another animal!
Now all this is theoretical. I'm sure you guys know and understand this but I reiterate - whatever the speaker is, however well designed it be - your room WILL screw up the sound. :)

Last edited:
Damn this quest for audio perfection! How can I reconcile myself to the fact that perfect speaker placement, in my listening space, is an unattainable as my desire to travel to Mars in my lifetime!!

Latter is possible still
LOL !
Damn this quest for audio perfection! How can I reconcile myself to the fact that perfect speaker placement, in my listening space, is an unattainable as my desire to travel to Mars in my lifetime!!
Isnt that the fun in the journey ? often frustrating and sometimes infuriating..but fun :)

Last edited:
If I start with the speakers very close to the front wall and move them out bit by bit, then they sound best when the front baffle is 45 inches (115cms) from the front wall. Less than this they sound muffled, more than this they lose focus. Focus is regained at around 2.5 meters, but why should I pull them out so much at the cost of precious real estate?
In my case, I hit the optimum position only after trespassing the prohibited range of 1 -2.2m. So while the various recommendations may be fine in theory and good starting points, I think it is totally worth the effort, even if impractical, to do a speaker crawl.

Fiftyfity, 1-2.2m is a guideline. It’s not cast in stone. Nothing is in audio :)

But you also did lose focus between 1.15-2.5m. In some cases it could be 0.9 to 2.1m

I should probably rephrase it as 1-2.2m plus minus 20% :)

There are just too many variables at play. Any speaker placement methodology is just a guideline. Ultimately you will have to fine tune to your room and your personal preference

If I start with the speakers very close to the front wall and move them out bit by bit, then they sound best when the front baffle is 45 inches (115cms) from the front wall. Less than this they sound muffled, more than this they lose focus. Focus is regained at around 2.5 meters, but why should I pull them out so much at the cost of precious real estate?
In my case, I hit the optimum position only after trespassing the prohibited range of 1 -2.2m. So while the various recommendations may be fine in theory and good starting points, I think it is totally worth the effort, even if impractical, to do a speaker crawl.
@Fiftyfifty, do you have a cabinet or other solid object between your speakers?

Fiftyfity, 1-2.2m is a guideline. It’s not cast in stone. Nothing is in audio :)

But you also did lose focus between 1.15-2.5m. In some cases it could be 0.9 to 2.1m

I should probably rephrase it as 1-2.2m plus minus 20% :)

There are just too many variables at play. Any speaker placement methodology is just a guideline. Ultimately you will have to fine tune to your room and your personal preference
I agree 100 percent Prem. I wasn't even aware there was a 'no go' range, but have discovered there is one.

As for the many variables, our relative perception of SQ too is a big variable. When I move from my OB full rangers with their mid range clarity to my more balanced Spendors, the Spendors initially appear less resolving and it takes a while for my ears to adjust to the change.

@Fiftyfifty, do you have a cabinet or other solid object between your speakers?
Yes Sachin, I have my audio rack between the speakers.... can't avoid that. Fortunately no tv! I overcome the adverse impact of the rack by placing Rock wool panels across their front

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back