Help in Purchasing a New Amplifier

cyber_cat

Hi,

I want to buy an integrated amplifier/pre-power ~50 K.

I have short listed 2 so far.

1. Sonodyne Pre/Power combo:
Amplifier: SPA 202 (Bi-AMP): Price = ~18K x2
Preamp: SP 203R ~ 9K
Total Cost: ~45K

2. Advanced Acoustics: MAA406 x1 (power) with MPP206 (Pre)
Amplifier: MAA406 (Will later go for biamping with the same amp)
Preamp: MPP206
Total Cost: ~60K

My Current setup:
Source: Marantz CD-7300
Amplifier: Alesis RA-100
Speakers: Sonodyne Towers (Sonus 306A) :eek: will be upgrading after I purchase the amp
Room size: 12 x 10 feet

Please kindly suggest which would be ideal and opinions regarding them. I have not auditioned the advanced acoustics combo, so that will be a blind purchase. heard the sonodyne, seems okay for the asking price.

Also, please kindly suggest any other integrated amplifiers/ pre power combinations at this price range, Even if it means spending 50K on the power amp is no problem, I can go in for a temp preamp as of now.

I am put up in Bangalore, addressess of showrooms, etc. would be also helpful.

Thanks.

hi cyber cat!
the advance acoustic pre-power combo is a good one. i think it is 150 W rms per channel, this i think is great for the price. dynamics, clarity etc is also good for this amp. the best part with advance acoustic is that you get your money's worth, or probably sometimes more than that.

Hi cyber_cat

The budget you have for a new pre-/power is a bit low and you will end up buying components that you may be left unhappy with later on. Since this is up the audio chain, a mediocre component will jeopardise everything downstream even if you end up getting a great set of speakers and good cables.

My suggestion is to go with a good AVR at this time with this budget and then get a matching set of speakers.

Hi,

I want to buy an integrated amplifier/pre-power ~50 K.

I have short listed 2 so far.

1. Sonodyne Pre/Power combo:
Amplifier: SPA 202 (Bi-AMP): Price = ~18K x2
Preamp: SP 203R ~ 9K
Total Cost: ~45K

2. Advanced Acoustics: MAA406 x1 (power) with MPP206 (Pre)
Amplifier: MAA406 (Will later go for biamping with the same amp)
Preamp: MPP206
Total Cost: ~60K

My Current setup:
Source: Marantz CD-7300
Amplifier: Alesis RA-100
Speakers: Sonodyne Towers (Sonus 306A) :eek: will be upgrading after I purchase the amp
Room size: 12 x 10 feet

Please kindly suggest which would be ideal and opinions regarding them. I have not auditioned the advanced acoustics combo, so that will be a blind purchase. heard the sonodyne, seems okay for the asking price.

Also, please kindly suggest any other integrated amplifiers/ pre power combinations at this price range, Even if it means spending 50K on the power amp is no problem, I can go in for a temp preamp as of now.

I am put up in Bangalore, addressess of showrooms, etc. would be also helpful.

Thanks.

Hi
Am from bbay and am sure someone from bglore should be able to assist u better.
Rotel is distributed by AVI or A2V , the guys who distribute B&W and am sure they have a dealer in bangalore. The pricing of Rotel is on the higher side and a marantz/denon will be cheaper and as good.

Rgds

Hi,

Apart from already mentioned stuff I'd like to suggest you to look at Odyssey electronics, A bit costly but well worth the money ;)!! we have many members in this very forum using various models and should be able to tell bout the quality :)!

Next up is Magnet, very decent and Top notch VFM product ! must try before you can take a call ;) !!

If you are looking for some used gear then I happen to know a few guys in the trade,also some dealers of various brands ! if you need any help will be glad to do so !! please PM if you need any assistance.

Regards.

Yup the basic Odyssey Audio integrated should fall in that price bracket. Other options are the Jolida Hybrid amp, Lyrita Audio Tube Pre-Power and the standard Marantz/NAD/Rotel. Sonodyne is best avoided for that price point.

Never heard advance acoustics but its in the same price range as NAD/Marantz/CA.

Last edited:
Thanks every1 for replying.

Krauss: read the review and specs about advanced acoustics seems good on paper, but not heard. :confused:

marsilians: I dont want to go in for AVR, ;), i am basically looking for 2 channel.

soundsgreat: Point noted. Yeah i will be PMing you :)

reignofchaos: any idea about pricing of Jolida dude :rolleyes:

from what i can gather. pre and power is out of question in ~50k. so i will be spending this budget only for a power, and later on go for the pre.

had a look at Odyssey website. must say they are very cool.

Cyber cat. I suggest you audition the amps as well as specs is only one part of the story & may be misleading at times.
IMO for 50k get a new integrated & stay for pre power or Ht receivers if you are looking at a stereo set up.
All the best.
Cheers

Cyber cat. I suggest you audition the amps as well as specs is only one part of the story & may be misleading at times.
IMO for 50k get a new integrated & stay for pre power or Ht receivers if you are looking at a stereo set up.
All the best.
Cheers

Yeah, will audition an amp before buying, btw did u mean " IMO for 50k get a new integrated & stay away from pre power or Ht receivers" ? :confused:

A pre power is more expensive to make, so most likely you would find a better built integrated for 50k.
Also i'm yet to come across a good pre power arnd 50k,Advance Acoustics included.
The gurus will def chip in with more info.
All the best.
Cheers

Is this the amplifier you have ?
Kutmaster Beat - Alesis RA-100 Reference Power Amp
Alesis has a studio monitoring pedigree and are quite capable and clean sounding amplifiers. I have seen them being used in quite a few studios.
Buying an AVR will be a great step down from what you have. Amplifiers like Rotels are not much of an upgrade over the Alesis.

My hunch is that the weakest link in your chain is the speaker.
Why dont you try and upgrade the speakers instead of the amp ?
Audition your amp with some decent speakers in the 50k range. You will be surprised to hear what you are missing.

That amp is not available in India. I ordred via ebay. It is risky but i am prepared to take it at the moment!! I have already ordered my Bada amp. UPS says that it is in Hongkong port at the moment !!

Oh, was looking for ones available locally, will be waiting for your review about the amp then then :)

Is this the amplifier you have ?
Kutmaster Beat - Alesis RA-100 Reference Power Amp
Alesis has a studio monitoring pedigree and are quite capable and clean sounding amplifiers. I have seen them being used in quite a few studios.
Buying an AVR will be a great step down from what you have. Amplifiers like Rotels are not much of an upgrade over the Alesis.

My hunch is that the weakest link in your chain is the speaker.
Why dont you try and upgrade the speakers instead of the amp ?
Audition your amp with some decent speakers in the 50k range. You will be surprised to hear what you are missing.

you are right :eek: the speakers are no match for the amp. The amp is indeed very clean sounding. way too good for the price. highs and mids are neat. bass is bit on the leaner side, but what bass u get is very detailed.

actually i am searching for a second alesis any idea where i can get these, dont want to import them tough

i will try to audition for speakers too. can u recommend some good ones for this amplifier :D

Back