help in setting up HT

piyush608

although i have relatively ok HT gear but most of the time i feel that output is not upto its potential.there may be number of reason for that, like acoustics of the room and all ,but even then i have seen basic 5.1 setup performing way better than mine
i came to the the conclusion that it is definitely because of setup not being proper .having said that i request all you Av pundits especially ones living in DELHI NCR to help me setup the same at my residence
others can help too .i will provide the necessary info as per your queries .
thanks

Hi

IMHO most of us tend to get excited when we have a new system and enjoy it briefly....then there comes a time we tend to find flaws and crave for new updates which can be partial or complete.

I changed my system 6 times in a span of 12 years..the key is to trust your ears, judgement and decide on what you like and ur budget....all the best...make it happen!

This is going to be interesting. What is it that you are not happy about? Is it the SPL/loudness/slam-bam? Is it dialog intelligibility? Is it the physical slam from the subwoofer? What source were you playing when you felt this - blu rays? Is it a dedicated room or a living room?

sash, your answers
not happy about:sorround sound not upto the mark immersive feeling is not there
dialogue:perfectly fine
subwoofer:is fin too
source:bluray rips 6 gb files (DTS or DD) 720p
room:bedroom :)

Hi,

Check the speaker levels for each channel....if the avr has manual eq...adjust it....luckily Marantz has this and so one can fine tune further to adjust for optimal performance...

What scenes have you used to test surround? My fav scenes are the MI-Ghost Protocol sandstorm scene, rain scene in "Exodus-Gods and Kings", rain scenes in "Road to Perdition", "Behind Enemy Lines" missile scene etc.
Are your speakers are at ear level and toed in towards your listening position? Speakers can be very directional.
Are you sure the audio is being correctly decoded? Do you see all 5 channels highlighted in your AVR (in my Yamaha it shows clearly all the channels that are being used).
Please try with a proper blu ray disc for testing purposes

Maybe you can check the cables and try reconnecting them again....placement of subwoofer in a different location in the room may change dynamics to some extent...

although i have relatively ok HT gear but most of the time i feel that output is not upto its potential.there may be number of reason for that, like acoustics of the room and all ,but even then i have seen basic 5.1 setup performing way better than mine
i came to the the conclusion that it is definitely because of setup not being proper .having said that i request all you Av pundits especially ones living in DELHI NCR to help me setup the same at my residence
others can help too .i will provide the necessary info as per your queries .
thanks

Hello, you don't give any info on what you feel is not up to snuff so there isn't much clue to where to start with any advice. So what don't you like?

Best place to start before you start changing equipment is to see what can be changed in your HT room. If you have bare walls and floors than the first thing to do is to add some soft wall hangings and some carpets to cut down on reflections that can exacerbate distortion and noise and make the sound cold. This can be curtains, art that is on fabric (India has lots of choices), etc. along with carpets spread around the room covering as much area as possible.

But tell us more of what you perceive and are not happy with that you hear in other systems. Describe what it is about the sound you find lacking in your system.

Back