Help in setting up wireless network router

nikhiltadsare

Hi All,

I have been reading a lot on this forum and that has resulted in me buying a decent AV system for my needs. However, my trouble today is not with the AV system but with my LAN network. I have tried google search to see solutions but nothing specific to my problem was found. I am absolute alien to networking and hence hope to get some help from forum members...

The problem is...
I have a BSNL ADSL router, this one is from year 2007 (i guess). The modem is Beetel - ADSL2+ 220BX1. It has input from telephone line (i am told that at the building the connection comes from fiber optic but in apartment it comes via normal telephone cable !) It has two outputs, 1 via LAN cable (currently connected to my desktop) and 1 for USB (currently idle).

I just came from Denmark where I was using a wifi router from Netgear Model CVG824G v3. This is a cable modem which has coaxial connection as the input.

I was planning to connect my netgear router to the bsnl modem and enable wifi at my home. However, since the input/output of these two modems are different (LAN/USB vs Coax) I am in a fix. I am short on funds right now and hence don't want to spend on buying another router. (I am also thinking of checking with BSNL if they offer wireless routers as a replacement or at subsidized rates)

Is there any way I can make use of existing wifi modem and connect multiple devices to the network?

Are there any wires with male/female connectors like LAN to coax or USB to coax which will solve the issue ?

Or is it too complex to solve due to different nature of modems (DSL vs Cable) ?

Thanx in advance for the help.

Best Regards,
Nikhil

You are trying to connect a modem to another modem. What you need is a wireless router with a Ethernet input. Alternatively BSNL can themselves give you a wireless modem cum router.

Cheers

Dear Venkat,

Thanx for your quick reply.
I thought netgear was a modem cum router and I cud utilise its router functions but anyways its clarified now that its not possible.

I will check with BSNL regarding the wireless modem cum router. However, I need a little more guidance regarding choosing the right device. Please can you guide me to a good router, I am not sure if I need g or n router.

The main purpose of the new router is >
1. enable wireless connectivity to my laptop
2. enable wifi surfing on my iphone at home
3. stream music and 720p movies to my PS3 (if N router is needed to stream my 720p movie collection & is expensive, i am open to connect my PS3 via cat5 cable).
4. Eventually am also planning to add a NAS (but thats in a bit distant future)

Thus am expecting the router to handle at least 2-3 devices/tasks simultaneously. I am not sure which router from BSNL / market is capable of handling these things. Any hints on the cost would be great help as well !

Thanx in advance !

Best Regards,
Nikhil

Dear Venkat,

I went to local market today to do some investigation on my own and found a D-Link N150 (DIR 600) model. Seems suitable for my requirements as its capable of trf 150 mbps (believe this should be enough to handle at least 2-3 functions simultaneously).

Am now figuring out the way to set it up... tried once and consequently lost complete net connection. Finally somehow i restored back the original settings :p and now hunting the net to find useful guide for setting it up.

Best Regards,
Nikhil

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back