{Help} Is it the projector or the screen ?

abinav555

Greetings,

I have been a proud user of the Sony VPL-HW55ES for about 2 years now. It was paired with a fixed Stewart 120" screen(Grey) with a viewing distance of around 16-18 feet.

But that wasn't the problem. I recently shifted to a new place where a fixed screen was practically impossible and had to go for a motorized one. I asked my Home Theatre guy who previously installed the Stewart to give me a motorized screen that would provide atleast 75% of Stewart's quality.
What he suggested was the Liberty Grandview screen(white) and so I went ahead with it with the same Sony Projector.

Once everything was setup, it was utterly disappointing to see the quality. The blacks weren't even close to what I previously experienced with the Stewart,or let alone videos on Youtube where the Sony projected on a white wall. The colors weren't rich with absolutely no contrast at all.

I tried every possible setting with the remote provided and finally lost hope.

The size of the screen is 133" with a viewing distance of around 16'.

What would like to know is if there's something wrong with the screen or the projector ? Or is this the best I can get with a screen like this ? Even if so, then why do images on a white wall look better than the images on a screen ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Greetings,

I have been a proud user of the Sony VPL-HW55ES for about 2 years now. It was paired with a fixed Stewart 120" screen(Grey) with a viewing distance of around 16-18 feet.

But that wasn't the problem. I recently shifted to a new place where a fixed screen was practically impossible and had to go for a motorized one. I asked my Home Theatre guy who previously installed the Stewart to give me a motorized screen that would provide atleast 75% of Stewart's quality.
What he suggested was the Liberty Grandview screen(white) and so I went ahead with it with the same Sony Projector.

Once everything was setup, it was utterly disappointing to see the quality. The blacks weren't even close to what I previously experienced with the Stewart,or let alone videos on Youtube where the Sony projected on a white wall. The colors weren't rich with absolutely no contrast at all.

I tried every possible setting with the remote provided and finally lost hope.

The size of the screen is 133" with a viewing distance of around 16'.

What would like to know is if there's something wrong with the screen or the projector ? Or is this the best I can get with a screen like this ? Even if so, then why do images on a white wall look better than the images on a screen ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi abinav,

1. one reason may be mainly because of the quality of the screen,as you know stewart screen are the worlds best so compared to liberty grandview certainly will leave them way behind in terms of quality.
since u had the initial taste of the former certainly your eyes will not compromise with the picture quality the grandview gives.

2. try to adjust the picture calibration aids settings like the cinema film1,cinema film2 or Ref and also the settings for contrast (80%),brightness (50%),colour (50%),hue (50%) adjust according to our likings see if any changes.

3. what source are you connecting to the projector to get the HD (1080p) output.

r/s

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestions. I knew that I would not get what I used to get with the Stewart but to my eyes, something didn't just seem right.

I got my HT person to bring a demo projector to see if there was something off with the PJ,so he got in an epson 8200 and before switching it on,he wanted to see what the problem might be, and when he observed closely there was a lot of unwanted red and green everywhere and he said there's something wrong with the optics to which I agreed upon.
Once he connected the Epson,I was immediately stunned to see what had gone wrong with the Sony.
The quality was as good as I previously experienced with the Stewart screen.

I might even consider buying the Epson 8200 now.

Thanks a lot.

hi abinav,

if you are gettings unwanted red and green colour then why dont you
correct the RCP settings (Real Colour Processing) Here you can calibrate the primary (red, green and blue) and secondary (cyan, magenta and yellow) colours by adjusting Colour (saturation), Hue (tint) and Brightness (luminance).

just for the above corrections why you want to change your projector???.

Or get it checked with the sony service center,if its still under warranty much better.

i am also providing a link which can be helpfull to correct your problem.

http://www.avforums.com/review/sony-vpl-hw55es-hw55-3d-projector-review.10108

I found out that it's not just the colors and even the blacks get messed up with patches of pixelated grey here and there.
Unfortunately, it's been over 2 years since i got the projector so warranty is out of the question.

Hi I have been using Epson 8200 with 106 " motorized screen of Grand View for the past 18 months (about 2 hours every day - not using my 52" tv at all ). I am very pleased with the performance of the projector. So just go for it.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back