HELP! I've got a demo piece with IR and am not sure what do now!

Here's a pic of the TV showing IR. I clicked this after running two fullscreen movies and 2 hours of scrolling screensaver in run-in settings. I believe the piece has already been damaged irreversibly.

67959626.jpg

Note that I clicked this image with 4 second exposure time just to illustrate the IR. This IR is visible to the naked eye at perfect dark condition but it's not noticeable in daylight.

The TV you have got is a piece of junk!!
Not worth half the price you paid for..

Call Samsung and complain.

Other than this problem, I absolutely love this TV. Games, especially look mindblowing - they look sharper and better than blu ray movies! DVDs look great and surprisingly, they look much better than in my CRT. (Probably an effect of the neat upscaler in PS3? )

I've been telling the same thing so long. Not only the upscaler of the PS3, but the upscaler of the samsung plasma itself is good and since this requires only 720p upscaling, it is done to almost perfect amounts.

BTW, Did you set the upscaler to 720p in your PS3? Check by pressing info key in the TV remote.. If it is 1080p, change it to 720p. This will save the downscaling part being done by the TV and it will be still better..

But given the current complaints on samsung, Iam wary of recommending it to anyone!!

Will post a picture of my TV in dark soon if possible.

People need to be more informed/aware when they r buying expensive gadgets. the plasma model you have bought was launched 3 to 4 years back in global market and Im sure that Samsung have stopped its production long time back so this TV was not lying in the godown of manufacturer or dealer to eat dust of-course it was used for demo to get rid of it ASAP. Im pretty sure that if you return it back itll be sold to someone else. This is the common practice they follow. so be careful next time. Well here is the link for you to register your complain online and you can also discus you problem with Samsung India CC (live chat). SAMSUNG Live Chat

Sorry, You are badly ill informed on the whereabouts of the TV.
Don't spread incorrect information if you are not sure of it.
You are the one who needs to be more informed IMO.

The TV you have got is a piece of junk!!
Not worth half the price you paid for..

Call Samsung and complain.

Ok... To be honest, the IR certainly doesn't look as bad to the naked eye as it looks in the pic. The logo and the scorecard are certainly noticeable upon close inspection when the lights are off. But it daylight conditions, the IR is completely unnoticeable even in dynamic mode.

I've been telling the same thing so long. Not only the upscaler of the PS3, but the upscaler of the samsung plasma itself is good and since this requires only 720p upscaling, it is done to almost perfect amounts.

BTW, Did you set the upscaler to 720p in your PS3? Check by pressing info key in the TV remote.. If it is 1080p, change it to 720p. This will save the downscaling part being done by the TV and it will be still better..

But given the current complaints on samsung, Iam wary of recommending it to anyone!!

Will post a picture of my TV in dark soon if possible.

Yes, I have set the PS3 to output 720p. I tried the 480p output just to test the TV's internal scaler. The TV's internal scaler didn't output a satisfactory image. The PS3 upscaler was much better, especially when the noise reduction parameters were cranked up. I believe upgrading from the TV's scaler to an external upscaler would always give satisfying results.

And hey! I think my problem was the dealer and not Samsung. So it'd not be right to blame Samsung for the dealer's mistake. But I do think that Samsung B450 isn't the best choice for a 42" plasma. The yet-to-be-released C450 would be a much better choice, given that it costs $150 less and only misses out on the useless features like SRS surround mode and anynet.

Yes, I have set the PS3 to output 720p. I tried the 480p output just to test the TV's internal scaler. The TV's internal scaler didn't output a satisfactory image. The PS3 upscaler was much better, especially when the noise reduction parameters were cranked up. I believe upgrading from the TV's scaler to an external upscaler would always give satisfying results.

Well I was comparing apples to apples :D
Samsung upscales better than rival TVs. Sure my 6k worth WD TV player does a much better job of upscaling.
And people who depend only on the internal scaler (DTH viewers) cannot complain.
How I wish these TVs are 6k costlier and are fitted with dedicated upscaler chips from HD media players/ PS3.. :rolleyes:

And hey! I think my problem was the dealer and not Samsung. So it'd not be right to blame Samsung for the dealer's mistake. But I do think that Samsung B450 isn't the best choice for a 42" plasma. The yet-to-be-released C450 would be a much better choice, given that it costs $150 less and only misses out on the useless features like SRS surround mode and anynet.

Agree that the whole 'sound' related stuff of the B450 is bad and SRS is no exception. Is C450 launched already? My gut feeling is that the C450 will be costly initially than B450 atleast to dispose off the B450 stock.

Can you enquire with the dealer whether he can replace your TV with a C450 if possible (after paying the balance if any) :p

I personally feel the yet to be released 5 series TV is the one to look for . A 50" C550 (assuming the naming) with full HD and perfect colours @ 60k is a mouth watering proposition. Given the B550 sold for ~70k last year, This could be very much a reality..

50C550 FHC plasma is the one to look for this deevali.. :eek:hyeah:

Last edited:
And hey! I think my problem was the dealer and not Samsung. So it'd not be right to blame Samsung for the dealer's mistake.

As far as you are concerned as a end user, there is no difference. The warranty and service is provided by Samsung. The dealer is only a via media. If the dealer has given you a dud, it is Samsung's responsibility to service you and then deal with the dealer in their own way. That is an internal matter between the company and the dealer.

Cheers

in that case few dealers will spoil the reputation of a company's brand image. Like a demo car/test car, which is sold to employees or known persons with a good rebate by car manufacturers. TV dealers are expected to give a decent discount on demo TVs. But some greedy dealers, pass of a demo piece as a new one.

Except to the forum members, how many are aware how to check the usage time of TV before buying? They will get ripped off. change in attitude from the dealers' and customers' awareness only will change things.

cheers.

Well i have gone through the entire thread and see the bashing Samsung is getting.

Personally i don't agree with the same. I believe the dealer is at fault here and he is playing smart here. He would not have the set in stock and is trying to give demo model to the customer.Poor dealer won't know how to check usage hours, otherwise he would have found a way to reset that also.

My Samsung dvd players have worked great and same is with my Q9 plasma.

Personally i feel the quality of sets couple years of back was more solid and better compared to the current ones.

Prices dropped quality control has dropped . Panasonic plasmas losing black level is a classic example of this.

Contact the company or dealer get a refund buy a Pana or the same set but from some other dealer.

Samasung and Dealer both are at fault.

I am sure that by now a complaint would have been logged with Samsung for this issue. Unless Samsung quickly replaces this piece, it is at as much fault as dealer.

Can you enquire with the dealer whether he can replace your TV with a C450 if possible (after paying the balance if any) :p

I personally feel the yet to be released 5 series TV is the one to look for . A 50" C550 (assuming the naming) with full HD and perfect colours @ 60k is a mouth watering proposition. Given the B550 sold for ~70k last year, This could be very much a reality..

50C550 FHC plasma is the one to look for this deevali.. :eek:hyeah:

Yeah! It'll be an awesome set. I guess I'll wait for a couple of years and buy the 50" C550 for 40K. :D

As far as you are concerned as a end user, there is no difference. The warranty and service is provided by Samsung. The dealer is only a via media. If the dealer has given you a dud, it is Samsung's responsibility to service you and then deal with the dealer in their own way. That is an internal matter between the company and the dealer.

True! I thought I'll give the dealer a second chance before contacting Samsung. Dealer->Samsung->Consumer Court - That's the escalation order
in my mind.

in that case few dealers will spoil the reputation of a company's brand image. Like a demo car/test car, which is sold to employees or known persons with a good rebate by car manufacturers. TV dealers are expected to give a decent discount on demo TVs. But some greedy dealers, pass of a demo piece as a new one.

Except to the forum members, how many are aware how to check the usage time of TV before buying? They will get ripped off. change in attitude from the dealers' and customers' awareness only will change things.

Seeing the 10s of TV on display at showrooms, I am sure all the demo pieces would be passed off as new. I actually wouldn't care if my LCD/CRT was a demo piece. But can't say the same about a plasma.

Contact the company or dealer get a refund buy a Pana or the same set but from some other dealer.

Pana has the reputation of having the worst customer service here in India. That was one of the reasons I chose Samsung B450 over Pana X1, despite X1 having an edge in picture quality.

Right now, I'm having fun experimenting with the demo piece I've got. :) I'm trying some extended online gaming on it. I'll post my findings in a new thread if I find anything useful.

Arrrgh!!!

I'm still waiting for the TV to be replaced. :-(

The dealer maintains that new stock is yet to arrive and I'll be the first one to get a new piece once stock arrives. I actually checked with about 10 dealers in Chennai and 8 out of them did not have stock for Samsung B450 plasma. One dealer quoted 49K for the 42"! Another dealer had 50" in stock (but not 42" )and he quoted 67K for the 50"!

Now I can't ask for a refund from my dealer with confidence because I might risk waiting for a long time or paying a higher price for the same TV.

I'm now considering the Panny X1 too. Panny X1 is known to have quality issues (according to internet reviews) with some pieces showing green tints and some showing static lines on the screen. Also, the Panny has poor customer service in India I believe (according to dealers ).

Should I switch from Samsung to Panny ? Or is it wiser to wait till end of month when stocks usually arrive and go with a replacement Samsung piece ?

Any suggestion would be appreciated. I am kinda unable to decide on what to do next.

Btw, what's going on with the plasma TV market ? Is the demand so thin that manufacturers are supplying very few pieces each month ?

wait for the replacement as you are on the better side and can go for the new tv now..till that time u can chk what ever u want to in this tv.. tips and tricks..lol

Wait..
With some luck, you can get the C450 instead. :)

BTW, what happened to the IR now? Is it diminished?

ok i have carefully seen the attatched picture and believe me this is a used piece for a long time.Just maintain ur stand with the dealer and be firm about a new piece.Ask him to give u the serial no. before delivery and go personally to the dealer's godown before loading.Tell him that if he is not replacing then u would take him to consumer court.For next time before leaving the store make sure u have the serial no.

Wait..
With some luck, you can get the C450 instead. :)

BTW, what happened to the IR now? Is it diminished?

Maybe, the shortage of B450 is due to C450 being launched. I don't know. Still kinda apprehensive about C450 since it's priced much lower than B450 in the US.

The IR left by the dealer is still there. It's got permanently burned in.

ok i have carefully seen the attatched picture and believe me this is a used piece for a long time.Just maintain ur stand with the dealer and be firm about a new piece.Ask him to give u the serial no. before delivery and go personally to the dealer's godown before loading.Tell him that if he is not replacing then u would take him to consumer court.For next time before leaving the store make sure u have the serial no.

Yup, me too thinks the same. Otherwise from what I've seen till now, it's nearly impossible to get burn-in. Ok, I have a question here - why do you think getting the serial number will help ?

Some more updates on this...

Bottom line - In my case, Samsung customer service was poor. Shah's was not a reliable dealer. Both Samsung and Shah's expect the customer to run behind them to avail service. My advice to all is to exercise caution when buying from Shah's or from Samsung.

Here's a detailed chronology of events that had happened...

30/3 - bought Samsung B450 42" plasma TV from Shah's, Anna Nagar, Chennai.

Next day - TV got delivered in the evening.

2nd Day - Complained to dealer about burn-in prob. (Detailed in 1st post)

4th day - Took pictures of TV showing burn-in and visited dealer. Dealer acknowledges issue and promises me a replacement within 3 days.

5th day to 44 days later - Kept calling dealer asking for replacement while being given a response like 'You'll surely get a replacement after we get new stocks. We'll get new stocks within a week.'

45 days later - Called dealer from a different number enquiring about C450. Was given a price of 44k. Called from my number and asked for a C450 replacement for my defective B450. Dealer tries evading the issue.

46 days later - Visited dealer for the 3rd time and enquired about my problem and the replacement promised. Dealer says C450 plasma was still not available and on the phone the attendant confused between C450 LCD and C450 plasma. Store manager talks to me and promises me a B450 or C450 replacement (yet again). Store manager shouts at employees for not raising a case with Samsung. I ask him politely why this must be reported to Samsung as it is an issue created at the dealer's side. Manager says everything must be reported to Samsung, even cases where the TV was broken in transit and reached customer in broken condition. I finally warn them that I'll wait for no more than a week and will not leave the store without getting a refund by next week.

47 days later - A manager from Shah's corporate office calls me and politely tells me that my replacement is guaranteed and I'll only have to wait till new stocks arrive. And he is not sure when new stocks will arrive as that is not under his control. Samsung customer service calls me and asks about the problem.

48 days later - A person from Samsung comes home and inspects the TV and confirms the burn in problem. He tell it can be easily rectified by repairing the panel. I insist I don't want repairs as I did not create the burn-in problem and that I want a replacement. He promises the TV will be surely replaced as and when new stocks arrive.

48-59 days - I keep waiting for replacement.

2 months later - A woman from Samsung calls me and tells me that I will be given a full refund because new stock won't arrive for the next 3 months. She confirms my name and initials and says a DD will be sent within a week.

2 months and 10 days later - No contact from either Samsung or the dealer. I try contacting the dealer and asking him about the refund. He says refund will come directly from Samsung and asks me to give him a day's time to update about the progress of the refund process.

Next 5 days - Dealer doesn't call back and update about progress. I try contacting Samsung customer care and enquire about refund progress. The CRM call centre guys have no idea what they're talking about and give a standard robotic reply - 'Your issue has been escalated and you will be contacted by our service manager.' And then no one calls back.

Today, after 2.5 months - I get frustrated with Samsung customer care's zero response and contact the dealer instead and for the first time, get angry and shout on phone. Dealer says Samsung will directly deal with the refund and gives me the personal mobile number of Samsung's service manager. I talk to Mr.Vijaykumar from Samsung and he tells me my refund has been approved and I should get my DD within 4-6 days and apologises for the delays as the process requires approval from 4 people and hence the delay. I ask him for an email from his official mail ID confirming the approval of my refund and he replies he doesn't have an official email ID! I ask him for an sms from his personal mobile confirming the refund approval. He first hesitates and asks me to wait, then agrees. After a reminder SMS from me, he finally sends an SMS saying 'Your DD will reach you in 4 days.'

Now, I am sitting at home staring at my defective Samsung B450 which is still sitting on my oversized TV stand occupying lots of floor space and obstructing my wall-mounted centre speaker, 2.5 months after I had complained about the burn-in problem.

Some more updates on this...

Bottom line - In my case, Samsung customer service was poor. Shah's was not a reliable dealer. Both Samsung and Shah's expect the customer to run behind them to avail service. My advice to all is to exercise caution when buying from Shah's or from Samsung.

Here's a detailed chronology of events that had happened...

30/3 - bought Samsung B450 42" plasma TV from Shah's, Anna Nagar, Chennai.

Next day - TV got delivered in the evening.

2nd Day - Complained to dealer about burn-in prob. (Detailed in 1st post)

4th day - Took pictures of TV showing burn-in and visited dealer. Dealer acknowledges issue and promises me a replacement within 3 days.

5th day to 44 days later - Kept calling dealer asking for replacement while being given a response like 'You'll surely get a replacement after we get new stocks. We'll get new stocks within a week.'

45 days later - Called dealer from a different number enquiring about C450. Was given a price of 44k. Called from my number and asked for a C450 replacement for my defective B450. Dealer tries evading the issue.

46 days later - Visited dealer for the 3rd time and enquired about my problem and the replacement promised. Dealer says C450 plasma was still not available and on the phone the attendant confused between C450 LCD and C450 plasma. Store manager talks to me and promises me a B450 or C450 replacement (yet again). Store manager shouts at employees for not raising a case with Samsung. I ask him politely why this must be reported to Samsung as it is an issue created at the dealer's side. Manager says everything must be reported to Samsung, even cases where the TV was broken in transit and reached customer in broken condition. I finally warn them that I'll wait for no more than a week and will not leave the store without getting a refund by next week.

47 days later - A manager from Shah's corporate office calls me and politely tells me that my replacement is guaranteed and I'll only have to wait till new stocks arrive. And he is not sure when new stocks will arrive as that is not under his control. Samsung customer service calls me and asks about the problem.

48 days later - A person from Samsung comes home and inspects the TV and confirms the burn in problem. He tell it can be easily rectified by repairing the panel. I insist I don't want repairs as I did not create the burn-in problem and that I want a replacement. He promises the TV will be surely replaced as and when new stocks arrive.

48-59 days - I keep waiting for replacement.

2 months later - A woman from Samsung calls me and tells me that I will be given a full refund because new stock won't arrive for the next 3 months. She confirms my name and initials and says a DD will be sent within a week.

2 months and 10 days later - No contact from either Samsung or the dealer. I try contacting the dealer and asking him about the refund. He says refund will come directly from Samsung and asks me to give him a day's time to update about the progress of the refund process.

Next 5 days - Dealer doesn't call back and update about progress. I try contacting Samsung customer care and enquire about refund progress. The CRM call centre guys have no idea what they're talking about and give a standard robotic reply - 'Your issue has been escalated and you will be contacted by our service manager.' And then no one calls back.

Today, after 2.5 months - I get frustrated with Samsung customer care's zero response and contact the dealer instead and for the first time, get angry and shout on phone. Dealer says Samsung will directly deal with the refund and gives me the personal mobile number of Samsung's service manager. I talk to Mr.Vijaykumar from Samsung and he tells me my refund has been approved and I should get my DD within 4-6 days and apologises for the delays as the process requires approval from 4 people and hence the delay. I ask him for an email from his official mail ID confirming the approval of my refund and he replies he doesn't have an official email ID! I ask him for an sms from his personal mobile confirming the refund approval. He first hesitates and asks me to wait, then agrees. After a reminder SMS from me, he finally sends an SMS saying 'Your DD will reach you in 4 days.'

Now, I am sitting at home staring at my defective Samsung B450 which is still sitting on my oversized TV stand occupying lots of floor space and obstructing my wall-mounted centre speaker, 2.5 months after I had complained about the burn-in problem.

On a lighter note,
Considering you get the DD, You get to enjoy the TV for 2.5 months for free and I dont see any communication on when they will take the TV back. :eek:hyeah:

@ vramak - I feel bad for u man...for all the trouble u r going thru. That being said...once u get the DD and if u plan on getting the C450..u would actually end up saving 2.5 / 3 k on ur purchase...assuming u got the B450 for 44/45k which was the mkt price then, compared to the C450 which is at 41.5k now :yahoo: Yeah - u also get the newer model :yahoo: Guess it would bring in some cheer back in u, post this horrible period. Till then try out all possible combinations with the B450. I do sincerely hope that you come out of this situation asap !!!

@ Blasto...I am comtemplating picking up the 42C450....but not yet confident over the B450 due to the price drop.....leaves me a bit apprehensive about any quality reductions...etc accounting for the price drop. Were u able to compare them both ??

@ Blasto...I am comtemplating picking up the 42C450....but not yet confident over the B450 due to the price drop.....leaves me a bit apprehensive about any quality reductions...etc accounting for the price drop. Were u able to compare them both ??

In the quest to demo the C550 and PK550, ended up demoing the C450 and PJ560 instead. No side by side review of B450 and C450 as the shop did not have the B450 but Iam almost sure both had atleast same PQ. Any black level improvements in C450 could have been eaten away by the shop's lighting. The imaging engine is exactly same (meaning no improvements). Same flaws in same places in the DTH (channel logo etc). Has USB movie support but did not have material to test. The speakers seem to be very very bad.

So USB movie addition + slim design + weight loss = lesser price? Rings a bell in me too. But they did remove some useless features. C450 has no 100 Hz and no headphone out.

Side by side comparison with PJ560 (I think) is more interesting. It is an improved set from PQ series. Sound is great for a flat panel but still black level is not impressive. Looks like 2 generations behind C450 in side by side comparo. It is brighter than C450 though lacks contrast. This produces a LCD like washed out feel. Colour reproduction is also not as impressive as the C450. The PK550 as I hear should be far better then.. Not on display.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back