Help me build a Media PC

DevS

Hello all!

Need help in selecting the right components for building a media PC, which would be used to play Audio(Lossless) and Movies(later when I buy an additional TV) as well.

I would be using an USB DAC, probably an Audio GD (under $500 DSD) ESS Sabre based.

Please suggest a VFM PC components for the purpose. My budget is around 15-20K

Will have a hard disk(min 2TB) on the PC to store media files. Don't want a NAS ATM.

Should I build a PC or would a pre-built compact unit from Intel, Gigabyte, Zotac or likes be a better option?

Kindly give your invaluable inputs.

Thanks

Should I build a PC or would a pre-built compact unit from Intel, Gigabyte, Zotac or likes be a better option?

I must confess before I type anything else, that DIY (for me) is a last resort option.

I did try and put together a parts list that would hopefully work together well - HFV was my starting point.

The process was quite frustrating and fun.

Getting a cabinet proved to be very difficult. A small one like I wanted was kind of killing my budget (rather similar to what you mention). I wanted S/PDIF output.

I went and got the Zotac because it ticked a whole lot of boxes - excepting the budget one :rolleyes:

The parts list I put together came up to a rather similar cost - and that was without the remote

ciao
gr

@sound_cycle, I have read about fanless CPU and PSU. Is Zotac ID88 a fanless built? Albeit, I am not sure whether fanless is a necessity.

Not fanless. But the fan is inaudible and does not bother me. It is barely audible when very close in a quiet room. I understand there is a bios setting to control speed but I have not found any reason to look up that setting or change it, so far

ciao
gr

Hello all,

I am not a geek.

Would appreciate it if you could guide me in assembling a suitable media player for my home theatre. The present components are :
1) LG 32LM6410 TV
2) Yamaha YHT-299 and 3)an old DVD player, Mitashi Strom 5.1 Ch.

I want to replace the DVD player with a reasonably priced media player for the above
combination.

The source of the components and the pricing would be of help, as most of the required
items might not be available where I stay.

Thanks in advance,

N Manikoth

Try the raspberry pi 2. I have recently used it for a music player and another forum member is using for a media player with good results.

I have recently built a htpc with AMD 5350 processor.

Used a Zebronics Cube cabinet which is designed for htpc.

The total cost came around 14500inr.
below are my components.
AMD 5350 quad core processor
Ausu AM1a mini itx board
4GB cosair Ram
1tb HDD seagate
Zebronics CUBE including power supply its very silent.
Wireless usb adapter for network

I decided on buying the Intel NUC 2820 with 4GB RAM and 500GB HDD
It's extremely compact and it does a decent job. So far playing just the audio media.

I would be using an USB DAC, probably an Audio GD (under $500 DSD) ESS Sabre based

I went and got the Zotac because it ticked a whole lot of boxes - excepting the budget one :rolleyes:

I decided on buying the Intel NUC 2820 with 4GB RAM and 500GB HDD.

I got a Asus VivoPC in December
https://www.asus.com/in/ASUS_VivoPC/VivoPC_VM40B/

Sales Model Name VIVOPC-VM40B-S025M
Intel Celeron 1007U
Chipset Intel HM70
RAM 2G DDR3
HDD 500GB
Graphic UMA (HD4000)
Wi-Fi/BT 802.11 a/b/g/n; Bluetooth V4.0
Wireless Keyboard + Mouse
Operating System DOS
1xHDMI; 1xD-Sub, 1 x S/PDIF Out; 2 x USB 3.0, 4 x USB 2.0
In built with Asus Sonic Master technology
Warranty 3Yr. On-site
Quotation (inclusive of taxes) INR 19,900/-

Hello all,

I am not a geek.

Would appreciate it if you could guide me in assembling a suitable media player for my home theatre. The present components are :
1) LG 32LM6410 TV
2) Yamaha YHT-299 and 3)an old DVD player, Mitashi Strom 5.1 Ch.

I want to replace the DVD player with a reasonably priced media player for the above
combination.

The source of the components and the pricing would be of help, as most of the required
items might not be available where I stay.

Thanks in advance,

N Manikoth

Try the raspberry pi 2. I have recently used it for a music player and another forum member is using for a media player with good results.

Thanks Amarendra for pointing me.

Its a budget media player.And I'm happy with kodi on it.

I got pi 2 from ebay @ 2700.
(10% ebay off coupon and 10% cashback).

Also you need to spend for
1) power adapter/ powered usb hub,
2) micro sd card,
3) wireless usb adapter( not necessary ),
4) case. ( I build mine) Its mentioned in the thread.

If the TV is compatible with the HDMI CEC then you can use the TV remote to control the Pi which the Openelec has default settings for the same. Also when you power off the Pi the TV also gets automatically powered off.

Hoping your TV has CEC ( may be named as LG - SimpLink)

HDMI-CEC standard: How to find out if your device is HDMI CEC capable?

Sorry for hijacking the OP's thread.
regards
girish:)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back