Help me choose a projector

ayushwas

I own a optoma hd 141x which is ceiling mounted. I can get the room dark enough. Don't care much about input lag and game. Planning to get from amazon.com with global shipping. In India there are mostly old models and insanely priced. Amazon ships all the optoma models. Options are
  1. Optoma hd146x - don't think will be big improvement.
  2. Optoma hd28 hdr or 39 hdr- both will cost around same with shipping and customs deposit. Have advantage of hdr.
  3. Optoma 30 or 50x - new 4k models but bit pricey. Don't care about gaming.
  4. Optoma uhd 52 alv - costly but best 4k with hdr and hlg support.

Optima 39 is a great projector. I am also looking at 52 alv, but no place to put it :D.

Ya I am thinking to get the optoma 39. Thanks. 52 alv you can mount it, you mean you don't have provision to mount? Ya in that case it's difficult to place.

Actually projectors are one item where you may want to sell with local distributors.
For many models, local distris will in fact offer you a better price than amazon.com

Ya I am thinking to get the optoma 39. Thanks. 52 alv you can mount it, you mean you don't have provision to mount? Ya in that case it's difficult to place.
No I mean I do not have a place for a projector at all :D I just keep warming my eyes and burning my heart. I used to have a projector setup earlier, but moving to Goa, changed a lot things. I have a 65 inch 4K TV right now, but it is just not the same.

No I mean I do not have a place for a projector at all :D I just keep warming my eyes and burning my heart. I used to have a projector setup earlier, but moving to Goa, changed a lot things. I have a 65 inch 4K TV right now, but it is just not the same.
Ya I too watch my projector mostly instead of my 4k tv due to the immersive experience. One option you can try is UST projector with bottom up or floor rise screen. Costlier but Less footprint.

Actually projectors are one item where you may want to sell with local distributors.
For many models, local distris will in fact offer you a better price than amazon.com
Thanks @superczar but I am not getting much leads on recent projectors with local dealers. They usually have older models and priced pretty high. Like the ones I listed, i couldn't find. I was able to find benq 3550 and 5550 equivalent models but they are priced high. I will try to look more online before finalising.

Thanks @superczar but I am not getting much leads on recent projectors with local dealers. They usually have older models and priced pretty high. Like the ones I listed, i couldn't find. I was able to find benq 3550 and 5550 equivalent models but they are priced high. I will try to look more online before finalising.
Projectors are more of a B2B sales channel item in India - which is why difficult to find good deals on B2C portals
Check on indiamart and call some distributors.. I know it's a PITA but worth it.
The gross price will at least be comparable or a bit higher than US but will certainly be a lot lower than the US prices + shipping and customs

As an example, Epson 5050UB that costs ~2900 + taxes USD in US can be obtained for 1.8L locally (same model is called Epson 9400 in APAC)
Similarly Sony HW45ES that is 2000 + taxes in US will be around 1.5L locally

From what i've seen, Projectors, atleast the native 4k one are very insanely priced in India.

I enquired about 3 Projectors, Sony 295ES, JVC NX5, NX7 and the pricing is wayy off.
Sony seemed to be okay in pricing but that's just it. The US price is very cheap, it would be cheaper even if you go there specially for buying and pick up one.

Update on this, I checked with local dealers on IndiaMART. Thanks to @superczar. I am getting some quotes around 1.75 including taxes for benq 3550/2700. also optoma uhd 50x around same range.
Is this a decent deal?
Which among the two? Anything else in same range?

Update on this, I checked with local dealers on IndiaMART. Thanks to @superczar. I am getting some quotes around 1.75 including taxes for benq 3550/2700. also optoma uhd 50x around same range.
Is this a decent deal?
Most people consider TW9400 to be the best in this price range. You will get it for the same price as US in India (~1.8-1.9 Lakhs.)
The negatives are compared to DLP:
1. Color uniformity in B&W content.
2. Pixel alignment
3. Don't expect HDR to work on projectors.
4. It is not fully 4K. It is only half the pixels than 4K.

I had HD131xe and am blown away by 9400 except in B&W content (where some parts of the picture have a different hue than the other)

TW9400 is the same as 6050UB not 5050UB.

Is this a decent deal?
Spend little more and get the Epson 9400,believe me its worth every penny and has better PQ than the dlp projectors.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. i got the Benq w2700/ht3500 last saturday for 1.6L. i agree Epson TW9400 might have been better but i think it would have cost me above 2L. This was already a bit of stretch for me. However, the picture quality has been amazing for HDR and SDR content. Even netflix from my shield looks great. the brightness is good too. Even in slight ambient light, content is bright. i can get the room completely dark and the black levels are nice. Here are some pics i took in hurry but i will upload more pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20200802_0059242.jpg
    IMG_20200802_0059242.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20200804_184047.jpg
    IMG_20200804_184047.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20200802_115354.jpg
    IMG_20200802_115354.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20200802_015914.jpg
    IMG_20200802_015914.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 100
Congrats on the purchase. How much was the Epson 6050 UB ?

You are losing a lot of image quality in that white colored room. Paint it black if you care about the image.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. i got the Benq w2700/ht3500 last saturday for 1.6L. i agree Epson TW9400 might have been better but i think it would have cost me above 2L. This was already a bit of stretch for me. However, the picture quality has been amazing for HDR and SDR content. Even netflix from my shield looks great. the brightness is good too. Even in slight ambient light, content is bright. i can get the room completely dark and the black levels are nice. Here are some pics i took in hurry but i will upload more pics.
Congrats on your purchase. What is the distance from projector to screen and what is the size you are getting. What type of screen you are using and how much did it cost you. As the other FM suggested, try painting the walls with darker shades to avoid reflection.

You didn't state your budget.

Anyway, I think you cannot go wrong with native 4k projectors like Cinemax P1.

DLPs gave me headache. This is completely my problem. I use Epson 6600 (3500 in USA). My preference would be Epson 9400 (5050 in USA - It's not a native 4k but it's on my wishlist)

Currently I have a elcor motorized screen in ceiling. It's a 4:3 screen to have that extra space on top for drop. No recliners in living room currently. So, 110' inch for 16:9. The projector is mounted at 12 feet distance.
Thanks for advice on painting the walls, might be difficult though. Since, it's in Living room. Can I use a ALR screen instead. I had tried one earlier but it was for UST. The light needs to come from bottom and it needs to be viewed from bottom. I turned it upside down. It would accept light from top but I was still viewing from bottom so it didn't work. Is there any ALR that comes for mounted projector?

@ayushwas ALR screens for mounted are available but they are expensive and have narrow viewing angles. You need to sit at in the middle of the screen width to get its real advantage. The people sitting adjacent to you can experience ALR advantage only if you have a good distance from screen thus allowing them to be in screen's permitted viewing angles

Thanks @rshri , I have 12 feet + distance from screen. You think it's not worth getting ALR? What are these Alr screens called and where can I get?

@ayushwas AT 12 ft ALR may work for you and people right adjacent to you (depends on the particular screen really). Call up projector/screen dealers, they will know what ALR means and will let you know whether they can procure it for you. To be frank you should not be buying it unless you can get a demo at 12 ft, but that may not be possible in these times. Search for "Black Diamond" in this forum.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back