Help on getting 1080P projector from US below 600 USD

arnprasad

Hi,

I have used an Acer 720P which I was pretty impressed with and currently using a 15K INR Akey 1080P Projector. After a lull, have few relatives and friends coming from US and there is a possibility they might get me a projector if I beg and since the duty free limit is 50K INR, a projector around the 600 USD mark shouldn't attract too much attention at the airport.

I usually visit slickdeals.net for deals and offers and in the next month or two when the folks might be coming in - I will check the site daily for good offers that can knock off 1-200 USD from the normal prices and I am ok to buy certified refurb models as well.

I am not a nitpicker and most of the content will be downloaded pirated movies as I prefer them over movies from Netflix/Prime/Hotstar...etc. Within our family we have subscriptions to all OTT platforms and we mostly watch Indian content on these. English movies I prefer to download with DTS soundtrack. I have an Excitel 300mpbs connection with unlimited data for around 650 a month and it works great.

The main criteria to decide between these is not whether its DLP or LCD or whether I can see rainbow and all that.....I did see rainbow occasionally on my Acer and I can live with it. But I would want the projector with most flexibility in terms of where it can be placed within a limited range ( Say I want a projector that can be placed at 13 feet from screen or 15 feet from screen and it should have enough features both hardware wise like Zoom in/out and also software wise to be flexible enough to fill the 120 inch screen. Ultra short throw is obviously out of my price range since we only watch 2-3 movies a month and I dont want to splurge on USTs nor am I interested in 4K projectors.

I am doing my own research, but any inputs from the experts here would also be greatly appreciated.

Models below the customs duty free limit with good ratings are:

(a) BenQ TH 585, 2050A, 671 ST which is refurb UST, 2050A
(b) Viewsonic PX701 HD
(c) Epson Cinema 880
(d) Optoma HD 28HDR

Just to reiterate, this is for family viewing most of the time and we just need a decent projector..No HDR, no 4K, no Dolbyvision, no minimal input lag....etc

A bad URL of dead deals...but you get the picture

Hi,
Iam on the same boat like you looking for a projector under 1000$ and zeroed in optoma uhd 35
Since reading these forum iam in little bit hesitant to buy projectors from outside.
as projector is thing which needs maintenance and without warranty its bit tedious.

Hi,
Iam on the same boat like you looking for a projector under 1000$ and zeroed in optoma uhd 35
Since reading these forum iam in little bit hesitant to buy projectors from outside.
as projector is thing which needs maintenance and without warranty its bit tedious.
I bought view sonic px-700 hd from US 4 year back. Still running without issue. I guess for view sonic we can get paid service from service centre. Just call and check with them.

Hi,

I have used an Acer 720P which I was pretty impressed with and currently using a 15K INR Akey 1080P Projector. After a lull, have few relatives and friends coming from US and there is a possibility they might get me a projector if I beg and since the duty free limit is 50K INR, a projector around the 600 USD mark shouldn't attract too much attention at the airport.

I usually visit slickdeals.net for deals and offers and in the next month or two when the folks might be coming in - I will check the site daily for good offers that can knock off 1-200 USD from the normal prices and I am ok to buy certified refurb models as well.

I am not a nitpicker and most of the content will be downloaded pirated movies as I prefer them over movies from Netflix/Prime/Hotstar...etc. Within our family we have subscriptions to all OTT platforms and we mostly watch Indian content on these. English movies I prefer to download with DTS soundtrack. I have an Excitel 300mpbs connection with unlimited data for around 650 a month and it works great.

The main criteria to decide between these is not whether its DLP or LCD or whether I can see rainbow and all that.....I did see rainbow occasionally on my Acer and I can live with it. But I would want the projector with most flexibility in terms of where it can be placed within a limited range ( Say I want a projector that can be placed at 13 feet from screen or 15 feet from screen and it should have enough features both hardware wise like Zoom in/out and also software wise to be flexible enough to fill the 120 inch screen. Ultra short throw is obviously out of my price range since we only watch 2-3 movies a month and I dont want to splurge on USTs nor am I interested in 4K projectors.

I am doing my own research, but any inputs from the experts here would also be greatly appreciated.

Models below the customs duty free limit with good ratings are:

(a) BenQ TH 585, 2050A, 671 ST which is refurb UST, 2050A
(b) Viewsonic PX701 HD
(c) Epson Cinema 880
(d) Optoma HD 28HDR

Just to reiterate, this is for family viewing most of the time and we just need a decent projector..No HDR, no 4K, no Dolbyvision, no minimal input lag....etc

A bad URL of dead deals...but you get the picture

I suggest view Sonic px-701 4k its around 900$

Thanks everyone..Since I need a basic projector outputting a nice 1080P image, spending anything more than 600 USD is overkill plus it will also lead to customs problems at airport

My friend confirmed he is coming in May and is ok to get anything. I want both a projector and a receiver to upgrade what I have.

I am also buying a new sofa this week and since I dont want to have the projector on my ceiling - There is a wooden plank on the left bottom corner of the Sofa set. Do all the projectors I listed around the 600 dollar mark output a 16:9 image if the projector is not kept in middle of the room but in the left corner? it has the necessary picture change mechanism to output a rectangle image when projected from a corner? I will do some research today on this.

If I dont want the projector on the ceiling, the only other option I have is temporarily place it on a Centre table everytime we watch and keep it back inside afterwards. I want to avoid this and hence if it can output a nice image from a corner - I can keep the projector in that corner full time

Thanks again for all your help!

Hi..I have been watching review of TH 585 and it is not that bad. Few of the reviewers were mentioning a price of 60K with fire TV. But online price is now closer to 70K. Any idea if we can still bag this for 60K today? rather buy it here for this price than paying 600 USD and asking someone to get it plus customs hassles...etc.

Not sure if any other projector is available at below 70K for 1080p

Hi..I have been watching review of TH 585 and it is not that bad. Few of the reviewers were mentioning a price of 60K with fire TV. But online price is now closer to 70K. Any idea if we can still bag this for 60K today? rather buy it here for this price than paying 600 USD and asking someone to get it plus customs hassles...etc.

Not sure if any other projector is available at below 70K for 1080p
Recently got this for 66k. You may get it for 64-65.

Hi..I got a response from the Benq customer service and they have given me their ASM number and will contact him today.

Meanwhile Optomo 146X is down to 495 dollars which if I pay through my Indian Amazon ICICI card comes to 42K including taxes and shipping and am trying to have relative who works in Amazon to pay so that 50 dollar taxes can be waived off. Also this model on Amazon India is 80K. Doesnt seem like it is its normal price. Maybe shortages are driving these crazy prices!

Meanwhile came across this listing. Would you by it? seller ratings are good but number of ratings is that not large. tempting price though

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back