Help me for upgrade

Bloom@83

Banned
Banned
Hello good people

After extensive auditioning (in Kolkata) with Polk Audio , KEFs, Tannoy , Wharfedale , Boston Acoustics , Q Acoustics & Dali bookshelves and researching deep on the web - I was finally blown away by a very unexpected brand - Elac Debut series designed from ground-up by Andrew Jones (of Pioneer & TAD fame ). I demo-ed the Elac B5 and it shattered away the sound of every other speaker in similar or twice the price bracket. Then & there I ordered the slightly larger B6 and I coupled it with the Marantz PM5005 along with DAC cables and interconnects.

Now here's the thing - the source is currently a very basic(read cheap) Samsung DVD player and although I'm highly satisfied with the sound I'm getting (all original CDs) I intend to upgrade my source.

However - a couple of more points here.

I also am using a FiiO X1 High Resolution player as transport which plays 24-96 files and above . Its currently connected via Line-out to my Marantz 'Tuner' RCA inputs.
Sound quality is similar or sometimes better than CD playing through Samsung DVD player.

Now the question is - should i upgrade to a Marantz CD5005 player costing 25K (best offered price) or do I have better options in that same budget?
The bulk of my audio is in Hi-resolution digital files, vinyl rips etc.

Please advise.

Last edited:
Hi,

You should look at players (CD/DVD/Blu Ray) which have good audio output (DAC) which fit your budget.

Marantz may work well for some, everyone has different tastes and expectations. For me a Pioneer Elite series seems to be a good choice within budget.

Thanks for your reply. I was initially thinking of getting the Pioneer BDP 180 - much more versatile but then I have absolutely no requirement for video. Its cheaper also.
However - the moot point is - as far as playing CDs is concerned - would the Marantz CD5005 beat the Pioneer (or any other blu ray player) in a blindfold test?

I haven't had the chance to find out.

Hello good people

After extensive auditioning (in Kolkata) with Polk Audio , KEFs, Tannoy , Wharfedale , Boston Acoustics , Q Acoustics & Dali bookshelves and researching deep on the web - I was finally blown away by a very unexpected brand - Elac Debut series designed from ground-up by Andrew Jones (of Pioneer & TAD fame ). I demo-ed the Elac B5 and it shattered away the sound of every other speaker in similar or twice the price bracket. Then & there I ordered the slightly larger B6 and I coupled it with the Marantz PM5005 along with DAC cables and interconnects.

Now here's the thing - the source is currently a very basic(read cheap) Samsung DVD player and although I'm highly satisfied with the sound I'm getting (all original CDs) I intend to upgrade my source.

I also am using a FiiO X1 High Resolution player as transport which plays 24-96 files and above . Its currently connected via Line-out to my Marantz 'Tuner' RCA inputs.
Sound quality is similar or sometimes better than CD playing through Samsung DVD player.

Now the question is - should i upgrade to a Marantz CD5005 player costing 25K (best offered price) or do I have better options in that same budget?

Please advise.

You can take another route, Rip all your CDs into digital files.
Then buy a good VFM DAC like Schiit Modi Multibit, and you will have better portability and Sound quality.

All IMHO :eek:hyeah:

If you are moving away from physical media then buying an outboard DAC makes perfect sense.
Schiit is value for money, if sourced directly from US and hand carried. Headfone zone adds about 30% to the US cost (customs etc)
There is also SMSL and O2 DAC, both affordable and will do the job quite well.
There may be one or two FMs owning the above products. Ask if you can audition them in your system and make an informed decision.

FYI, I have the Schiit M2U. Wonderful unit for the price (<11K landed price).

Cheers,
Raghu

If you are moving away from physical media then buying an outboard DAC makes perfect sense.
Schiit is value for money, if sourced directly from US and hand carried. Headfone zone adds about 30% to the US cost (customs etc)
There is also SMSL and O2 DAC, both affordable and will do the job quite well.
There may be one or two FMs owning the above products. Ask if you can audition them in your system and make an informed decision.

FYI, I have the Schiit M2U. Wonderful unit for the price (<11K landed price).

Cheers,
Raghu

I will suggest the new Modi 2 Uber Multibit.
This has different chipset and better implementation.

The Modi 2 Uber costs 15K at headphonezone which is in my budget.
I guess the multibit is much higher priced.

So let me get this straight - since I'm comparatively new to this :
i. I can hook it up with my FiiO X1 with the X1 acting as transport via line out .
ii.I can also plug the Modi to my laptop using the USB and play high res files directly from laptop.
iii. I can also place it in between my cheap DVD player and my amplifier (using what ?)
iii.Is there any specific software that needs to be used while playing these files from laptop?

The Modi 2 Uber costs 15K at headphonezone which is in my budget.
I guess the multibit is much higher priced.

So let me get this straight - since I'm comparatively new to this :
i. I can hook it up with my FiiO X1 with the X1 acting as transport via line out .
ii.I can also plug the Modi to my laptop using the USB and play high res files directly from laptop.
iii. I can also place it in between my cheap DVD player and my amplifier (using what ?)
iii.Is there any specific software that needs to be used while playing these files from laptop?

i. No u can't, Modi only accept digital input.
ii. Yes you can play all high res files except DSD
iii. You can connect to you DVD played via Coax/Optical cable, depending upon your DVD player's digital audio out.
iv. No need of any softwares, you just need to change some setting in Audio control panel of windows.

Please let us know, if you have more queries :)

Thank you.

Just one more query - if the Modi 2 can't accept analog signal , it's useless to plug it with my current DVD player as it has not digital out.

Thank you.

Just one more query - if the Modi 2 can't accept analog signal , it's useless to plug it with my current DVD player as it has not digital out.

Check again. DVD players these days don't have analog outs. Either OPT or COAX is generally present.
Unless your specific model is HDMI out only.

Cheers,
Raghu

I am misunderstanding here probably.My DVD player (a very cheap Samsung one) has a RCA output only.
Can it connect to the Modi2 Uber?

Also , the previous person mentioned - 'No need of any softwares, you just need to change some setting in Audio control panel of windows.' . I currently have a FiiO Andes E07 DAC+Amp. What settings change do I need to make in my Windows laptop to use it in my stereo system?

Last edited:
I am misunderstanding here probably.My DVD player (a very cheap Samsung one) has a RCA output only.
Can it connect to the Modi2 Uber?

Also , the previous person mentioned - 'No need of any softwares, you just need to change some setting in Audio control panel of windows.' . I currently have a FiiO Andes E07 DAC+Amp. What settings change do I need to make in my Windows laptop to use it in my stereo system?

No. You cant connect a DAC to analog.You need a Digital(Optical,Co-axial or HDMI to connect to any DAC.
The windows audio panel will list all the devices connected to the system. You have to switch it to the particular one that you intend to use. Also if a DAC is connected to a digital out, the SPDIF needs to get checked in the appropriate Audio/Video Player so the media is bit streamed and the DAC decodes it.
In your case with the Samsung DVD player, You are out of luck if you do not have digital outputs. Upgrading your current DVD player seems to be the only option.

No. You cant connect a DAC to analog.You need a Digital(Optical,Co-axial or HDMI to connect to any DAC.
The windows audio panel will list all the devices connected to the system. You have to switch it to the particular one that you intend to use. Also if a DAC is connected to a digital out, the SPDIF needs to get checked in the appropriate Audio/Video Player so the media is bit streamed and the DAC decodes it.
In your case with the Samsung DVD player, You are out of luck if you do not have digital outputs. Upgrading your current DVD player seems to be the only option.

Thanks very much for resolving all my queries

Hello good people

Please advise.

The cheapest way to get digital audio to your amp is to use airport express via toslink or your Mac headphone jack output.

Bloom@83 ... Can you suggest me where can I audition Elac speakers in kolkata? I you can give any contact then it would be helpful..

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back