HELP ME i was Stupid

Craberos

hi guys almost a year ago i did the biggest mistake of my life ......

i desperately wanted to have a good HT system so i went to sony world and i bought this doom stupid gadget

i bought a

Sony WEGA Trinitron KV-SZ29M80 CRT TV

Archived KV-SZ29M80 : 25 (64 cms) & above CRT TV : CRT TV : Sony India

DVD Home Theatre System - DAV-DZ120K

Archived DAV-DZ120K : DVD Home Theatre System : Home Theatre System : Sony Asia Pacific

now at the moment i want to convert this existing system to a HYBRID system ...... i want to connect a PC

My PC has a S-Video Out and a HDMI Out but my TV does not have S-Video In or HDMI in but my TV has RCA .......i was searching for some products i found S-Video to RCA

1.) I want to use the output from the PC Audio/Video and use the existing HT System and use the TV as monitor for the PC .......

is there any way i could connect an AMP to this system to sort My Problems ...... if so which is a good one for a start up cause i have a low budget :)

please help me

thanx
cRABEROS

Last edited:
the basic idea is

1..... i want to use the output from the comp to HT speakers and use the TV as monitor for the pc .......

2..... i want to use the DVD player to play on TV as it is

Craberos:

I am not sure I have understood what you were explaining and what your requirements are. Let me try my best.

1. You cannot connect a PC to speakers directly unless your PC has an amplifier built in. A PC generally send very little power and you need to use what are called active speakers. These have an amplifier built into the speakers. Another way is to connect through an external amp such as your HT system. Take the Audio Out from your PC and feed it into the Audio In of your HT system. That is all you have to do.

2. You cannot use a TV as a PC monitor. A monitor need special electronics that is not there in a TV. There are some PC cards available that convert the PC signals into a format that the TV can understand. This will be good for watching a video, but very poor for PC usage such as text, computer graphics, etc.

3. Connecting the DVD Player to the TV is simple. Most CRTs have what is called a Composite In. This will be a set of three RCA sockets colored Red, White, and Yellow. There will be a corresponding Composite Out on your DVD Player. You just have to connect the two using a Composite Cable.

This may sound stupid and you may already be aware of it. That is why I said I am not sure In understand your explanation and questions properly.

Cheers

well you made it complicated yourself dude - anyway you will be chucking out the HTIB - see if you can make use of the satellites somehow. Like remove the proprietary connections and use the naked wire for connection to a receiver (please check the impedance though). Chuck the sony amp and get a decent budget onkyo or a yammy 363. Feed the s video from pc to the amp receiver and the cable tv (composite I presume) to the amp and the sony dvd player (via component to the receiver) - voila you can now use this receiver (yamaha i assume) to the base of your HT system. You can even use the HDMI from the PC for better connectivity.

The sony amp sucks - chuck that out and you are good to go.

And next time please use propah English or English that makes sense - i read you post multiple times before replying.

And no buy is a good buy - something worth 1 lakh today may not be worth 50k tomorrow. You got a good TV - njoi.

Next step for good viewing - get a projector - viewsonic 15jd (forgot the model number for around 30-35k is great VFM - a lil noisy but great blacks and good for movies. I saw a dekho at a friends place)

well you made it complicated yourself dude - anyway you will be chucking out the HTIB - see if you can make use of the satellites somehow. Like remove the proprietary connections and use the naked wire for connection to a receiver (please check the impedance though). Chuck the sony amp and get a decent budget onkyo or a yammy 363. Feed the s video from pc to the amp receiver and the cable tv (composite I presume) to the amp and the sony dvd player (via component to the receiver) - voila you can now use this receiver (yamaha i assume) to the base of your HT system. You can even use the HDMI from the PC for better connectivity.

The sony amp sucks - chuck that out and you are good to go.

And next time please use propah English or English that makes sense - i read you post multiple times before replying.

And no buy is a good buy - something worth 1 lakh today may not be worth 50k tomorrow. You got a good TV - njoi.

Next step for good viewing - get a projector - viewsonic 15jd (forgot the model number for around 30-35k is great VFM - a lil noisy but great blacks and good for movies. I saw a dekho at a friends place)

thanx a lot for the suggestions i have made the thread simpler i hope u could help me out to clear the mess i have created and help me setup a goot HT system

thanx a ton

the 363 has composite out i presume apart from hmdi out. So you need only one connection from the receiver to the TV> You can connect your cable (composite in), dvd player(component in), computer (via s video) to the receiver through the back connections and the yammy will do the rest for switching inputs

So the connection is

DVD=>Yammy 363
PC=>Yammy 363
Cable=>Yammy 363
Others=>Yammy 363

Yammy =>TV

You should be good to go with this

the 363 has composite out i presume apart from hmdi out. So you need only one connection from the receiver to the TV> You can connect your cable (composite in), dvd player(component in), computer (via s video) to the receiver through the back connections and the yammy will do the rest for switching inputs

So the connection is

DVD=>Yammy 363
PC=>Yammy 363
Cable=>Yammy 363
Others=>Yammy 363

Yammy =>TV

You should be good to go with this

wat about the audio from the PC do i connect that also to yammy 363 ????

and will my TV work as a PC Monitor ????

and if i do that will i be able to play music on the PC and will the DVD HT System Speakers work ????

sorry about so many doubts ........ please do not angry with me :)

Last edited:
i am facing the same problem with the dav dz-120k. bought it around 3 years ago, and now since i am planning on connecting a pc to it, its useless for surround sound.

it only has rca inputs, so external audio works in stereo mode only. Or another option is to use the prologic-2 for creating a virtual surround.

Now,the speakers are quite okay. i too wished they could be used with another AV receiver, but apparently they cant. These require high currents to operate on, as the sony is a class D amp system in it. These high currents can not be provided from a yamaha/onkyo htib . please do correct me if i am wrong.

i am facing the same problem with the dav dz-120k. bought it around 3 years ago, and now since i am planning on connecting a pc to it, its useless for surround sound.

it only has rca inputs, so external audio works in stereo mode only. Or another option is to use the prologic-2 for creating a virtual surround.

Now,the speakers are quite okay. i too wished they could be used with another AV receiver, but apparently they cant. These require high currents to operate on, as the sony is a class D amp system in it. These high currents can not be provided from a yamaha/onkyo htib . please do correct me if i am wrong.

i am ready to buy an yamaha receiver but i want to know will it work ...... if i but it for the purpose i want to use it as

wat about the audio from the PC do i connect that also to yammy 363 ????

and will my TV work as a PC Monitor ????

and if i do that will i be able to play music on the PC and will the DVD HT System Speakers work ????

sorry about so many doubts ........ please do not angry with me :)

yes you can make your TV work as PC monitor - but working on it for applications or surfing may not be ideal - you have to fiddle to fit it the right resolution. But yes it should work.

You can also connect sound out form the PC to the Yammy (what out put do you have? optical? or analog?) - they should work theoretically.

And what is the impedance of the sony speakers. if its between 4-8 ohm it should work on the yammy. Since i have not seen your HTPC so can't comment on the connectivity with total accuracy

yes you can make your TV work as PC monitor - but working on it for applications or surfing may not be ideal - you have to fiddle to fit it the right resolution. But yes it should work.

You can also connect sound out form the PC to the Yammy (what out put do you have? optical? or analog?) - they should work theoretically.

And what is the impedance of the sony speakers. if its between 4-8 ohm it should work on the yammy. Since i have not seen your HTPC so can't comment on the connectivity with total accuracy

this is the pic of my HTS connection and the jacks avaliable of the TV

dsc01279.jpg

15653d.jpg

15652.jpg

hi craberos,

Welcome to the forum, here you dont brief and mention you as a stupid first of all, just mention you as biginner or something like this (an audiophile from earth going to roar from under), its a love for movie and music, which makes you to take the decision to go for such stuff. Its ok you landed here to get any details, reviews, comments about any systems in which the experts here in this forum will all sure help you.

For sony, just strike it from your list. As it is a very complicated and problematic HTIBs available, coz its a in-built DVD player and AMPLIFIER model. Its paper specification may be well or it can sound good too for some one, who never heard the 5.1 sound. After some years or sooner the DVD player will show the big bizbang actions which you have not seen before like problems. After some services done for DVD player to work well and then the problem works very well repeatedly. Then, if you wish to connect a new DVD player to the sony AMPLIFIER, you cannot able connect it in the sony AMPLIFIER becoz it does not have any 5.1 analog inputs or any digital inputs or even a 2 channel stereo inputs to decode or receive any audio from the new DVD player or source palyer. And then your AMPLIFIER will also be useless to connect any external sources like DVD players or other source players. AND coming to the sony speakers its normally 3 ohms impedance speakers. You should not connect the sony speakers to the brand AVRs, bcoz most other brand AVRs support only from 4 ohms speakers to 8 ohms or 12 ohms only. So connecting the sony speakers will damage the other brand AVRs bcoz of lesser ohms, when used for very period. you landed here for the experts suggestions, so go for a better one.

For yamaha its like all are seperated. The AVR comes in the package YHT-195 is 5.1 channel a/v receiver. 5x110 watts rms at 8 ohms, 5x135 watts rms at 6 ohms, 5x150 watts rms at 4 ohms. Total Harmonic Distortion(THD) 20hz - 20khz is 0.06%. HDMI (2 inputs/1 outputs) 1080p compatible, Audio Digital inputs(optical-2/coaxial-1), weight-8kgs. The speakers all are 6 ohms impedance. So, its very easy to mixmatch with any brands AVR when you go for a upgrade. VFM go for a YHT-195. Its very good option for you as a bigginer.

cheers.

1)wat about the audio from the PC do i connect that also to yammy 363 ????
2)and will my TV work as a PC Monitor ????
3)and if i do that will i be able to play music on the PC and will the DVD HT System Speakers work ????
4)sorry about so many doubts ........ please do not angry with me :)

yes you can connect the audio from the pc to the yamaha AVR, which the AVr has V-AUX input and DVR input/output, you can choose any of these two.

For this, im not sure , becoz your TV should have computer VGA or RGB input for using it as a pc monitor / TV.

3)and if i do that will i be able to play music on the PC and will the DVD HT System Speakers work ????
For this, u dont have to be sat sorry at all......................just askk your doubts till you get cleared and finished.

4)sorry about so many doubts ........ please do not angry with me
Just ask your questions clearly bcoz i cant able get you correctly.

Last edited:
yes you can connect the audio from the pc to the yamaha AVR, which the AVr has V-AUX input and DVR input/output, you can choose any of these two.

For this, im not sure , becoz your TV should have computer VGA or RGB input for using it as a pc monitor / TV.

For this, u dont have to be sat sorry at all......................just askk your doubts till you get cleared and finished.

4)sorry about so many doubts ........ please do not angry with me
Just ask your questions clearly bcoz i cant able get you correctly.

these questions was a reply to suprateep answer .........

i know the love of music made me buy sony .... but i have realized not i should buy separated units ....... i have learnt my lesson

the question is i have the above mentiomed tv and dvd from sony .....

my tv has rca input my dvd has rca output on the whole its working fine but the complication is when i want to attach my PC cause my graphic card has svideo out and for audio stereo jack both of which i could not connect to my dvd player and use it ......

i want to use my tv as a monitor , play music from my pc and use the existing dvd HT setup ......

cause when i want to listen to the tv on my dvd speaker system it works

so i thought my pc output could be used ........

so could u help me how can i do this if it is possible using the same setup !!!!

hi craberos,

You connot able to connect your pc for audio output from it to the sony dvdp, becoz your sony dvdp dont have audio input. you can only just use sony only for HT sound and for output the video to the TV.

For audio output from the pc, you should have to buy another amp to connect it for listening the audio from pc. Its the only way possible to hear the audio output from your pc.

dude i searched don the net - the speakers should be 8 ohms.

So can be used as surround speakers - you might have to split the wires at the connection end to get naked terminals to connect to he AVR.

Chuck out the sony receiver - it has no audio out. Plus from the specs its a class D amplifier - not worth it.

Get a Yammy. Get a pair of good fronts (go for Norge or maybe missions - these will serve you for a long long time- unlike the silly HTIBs)

Archived DAV-DZ120K : DVD Home Theatre System : Home Theatre System : Sony Asia Pacific

From the specifications of the sony, the speakers rated impedance is 2.7 ohm or 3 ohms. It is not suggegted to connect the lesser rated impedance speakers to the AVR rated from 4 ohms to 8 ohms or 12 ohms, it will damage the AVR when used for long period by connecting the lesser rated impedance speakers. Please see the pictures of the sony specifications printed in the sony manual. The specification is for the sony DAV-DZ550 model. Also the impedance specifications is same for the DAV-DZ120 model.

Attachments

• DSC02828.jpg
    DSC02828.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC02829.jpg
    DSC02829.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC02830.jpg
    DSC02830.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC02831.jpg
    DSC02831.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

From the specifications of the sony, the speakers rated impedance is 2.7 ohm or 3 ohms. it is noted suggegted to connect the lesser rated impedance speakers to the AVR rated from 4 ohms to 8 ohms or 12 ohms, it will damage the AVR when used for long period by connecting the lesser rated impedance speakers. Please see the pictures of the sony specifications printed in the sony manual. The specification is for the sony DAV-DZ550 model. Also the impedance spacifications is same for the DAV-DZ120 model.

thanks man - i searche don the net and someone mentioned the same speakers on a onkyo - and that it has the needed impedance.

Thanks for correcting me.

And yes - i second that the sony needs to be chucked out - even a budget 363 can give it a run for its money.

Cant even YAMAHA RX-V363 should be compared to sony DAV-DZ series amplifiers, becoz yamaha AVR has way ahead compatibile and has enough power to handle a 300 watt Rms floorstanders. It has many features like speaker A/B or A+B options and many audio inputs and outputs for different types of source connectivity. Sony it should be a considered as a very bad entry level HTIBs in the market.

thanx a ton guys ......

ok if i chuck the sony and buy the yammy 363 what is the speakers should i buy in the budget range good enough

and my doubt regarding can i use the yammy 363 for s-video in from my PC can i use the TV as a PC monitor ....... and play movies/music from my PC

thanx a ton guys ......

ok if i chuck the sony and buy the yammy 363 what is the speakers should i buy in the budget range good enough

and my doubt regarding can i use the yammy 363 for s-video in from my PC can i use the TV as a PC monitor ....... and play movies/music from my PC

First whats your budget for the speakers ?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back