Help me to choose best CRT TV

Hello all
I have currrently SONY 25 Inch flat CRT TV ( Trinitron series), which I purchased in 2003. Till date I didn't face any kind of problem and I m satisfied by the picture quality of my TV. I have pair it with my Tata Sky HD+ . Inspite
of having HD set top box I m still not planning to buy LCD/LED , reason the picture quality of SD channels is better on my CRT TV as compare to LCD/LED Tv's. Ofcourse HD channels perform excellent on full HD LCD/LED. But this is also true that my CRT TV is capable of giving a good noticeable difference in HD channels and SD channels. So here are my questions:-

1. Are there any certain High End CRT Tv's better than my current Sony 25" trinitron ? If yes please share with me. I can go for used also if available

2. I m connecting my TV with Tata Sky set top box via component video connections cos there is no HDMI on my Sony CRT. And there is a noticeable difference in picture quality as compare to if i use normal composite video option. But I m using a very basic three RC cable ( Which is generally used for Audio Video cable). So my question is - will there any improvement in picture quality if I use a dedicated component video cable ?

3. So I want basically a better CRT tv which can do justice to HD channels and obviously SD channels ( which already are produced better)

Thanks

Ashutosh

Sony Super Trinitron is the best CRT ever (?) manufactured. I have not seen any TV that can match it. Even the current generation Sony CRTs are just 30% of the quality of the Super Trinitron picture tube of the late 90s, early 2000s.

Sony Super Trinitron is the best CRT ever (?) manufactured. I have not seen any TV that can match it. Even the current generation Sony CRTs are just 30% of the quality of the Super Trinitron picture tube of the late 90s, early 2000s.

Thanks for your useful information. Now pls also do tell me whether a good component video cable will improve picture quality on Sony CRT in comparison of my local cable which I m using for component video connection. And if the answer is not then there is only one option of going for a 32" LCD/LED which can give near quality of SD channels as on my CRT. So which one LCD/LED I should go for ?

Ashutosh

in my opinion dont invest as long as your triniton is serving you well.

if anyway you decide to buy one,its better to invest on a bigger at least 40 inch.

for 32 inch go for sony semi hd lcd any model whose picture is good to you after demo with SD channels.
in 40 inch SD look bad even in very costly TVs.
so if your main concern is SD chanlles,go for 32 inch semi hd.
dont waste your money on full hd 32 inch.
as the SD material is not full HD,plus if anytime you play a full HD material its impossible to diffrenetiate betwwen a full hd and semi hd screen with our bare eyes at a distance of say 5 ft in a 32 inch screen
dont trust me,trust your eyes and experiment.

I purchased a Samsung D650 29" last year. Latest model 100hz. I am not missing LCD for SD content it is better with crt.

Sent from mobile on a crappy keyboard. Pls excuse typos.

SD channels will definitely not look good on Full HD flat panels like LCD,LED,Plasma due to obvious resolution mismatch and your current CRT TV is the best for SD content, so stick with your current tv for SD content and later upgrade to a Full HD set when the no. of HD channels is increased or else buy a separate TV only for HD channels and movies.

As you have a trinitron..not sure there is any other crt tv to match its picture quality..got two of those..both are 8 yrs old..no difference in pic quality since purchase..outstanding picture quality.

Hi,

Me too have Sony Trinitron Wega 29".... Which is seriously holding me back for my PDP desire.. I would have almost booked Panny ST30... but the major SD content viewing in my home and the stunning picture quality of Sony Trinitron had turned down my PDP search as if now.

Us some good quality Component cables for enhanced picture quality and good black levels.

Regards,

Mangesh

Last edited:
There were 2 best CRTs available for India Market.
1) Sony CRT (few models) upto 34" with DRC-MF (Digital Reality creation- Multi Function)
Image processor similar to now a days 'X-Reality' engine with HD (Also called as Super Fine Pitch). Best Price in India for Sony KV-HR34M91-61

2)Philips Match Line: These could support HD till 1080i with Pixel Plus engine and was also known for superb PQ. Best Price in India for Philips 34PT8322-69R

Both were 100HZ for obvious reasons.
These TVs are outdated quite years back (Even before HD came to India) mainly because of price and non-availability of content. I am sure if some one use it now, it will simply blow away all flat screens in both SD and HD due to picture depth of a CRT

If you looking for stop gap arrangement, look if you get lucky from used classifieds.

Last edited:
Back