Help: Need your Speaker & Preamp recommendations for pairing with a Luxman M-800A

virajsingh

Hi Guys,

Through some very good luck, a couple of months ago, I have manged to get my hands on a 2 year old Luxman's top of the line M-800A Power Amplifier (230Volt version) in fantastic condition. This is the first link in my chain to build a new hi-end system. Its a 60 Watt Class-A Amp and its specifications read as follows:

Solid-state, stereo power amplifier with the output stage biased into class-A, bridgeable for mono operation. Inputs: 1 pair each, unbalanced (RCA) and balanced (XLR). Outputs: 1 pair speaker binding posts. Rated output power: 60Wpc, both channels driven into 8 ohms (17.8dBW); 120Wpc, both channels driven into 4 ohms (17.8dBW); 240Wpc into 2 ohms (17.8dBW), 480Wpc into 1 ohm (17.8dBW); 240W bridged into 8 ohms (23.8dBW). Frequency response: 20Hz20kHz, +0/0.2dB; DC130kHz, +0/3dB. Input impedance: 67k ohms balanced, 51k ohms unbalanced. Input sensitivity: 773mV/60W (8 ohms). Voltage gain: 29dB. Signal/noise (IHF-A): 117dB. Power consumption: 492W (rated power).

I would like benefit from the advice of the more seasoned audiophile HFV members on what speakers they would recommend for this Power Amp. I have heard that Luxman pairs well with Harbeths and Harbeth M40.1 / 30.1 are on my shortlist. What do you think about its pairing with brands like Asendo, Focal etc.? Does the power amp have sufficient power to handle difficult speakers loads. I am sure that many of you have heard Luxman with a variety of speakers and would appreciate if you could let me know what else pairs well with Luxman. If there are speakers that are currently on sale which in your opinion mate well with Luxman please do let me know the link. My budget for buying used/demo speakers is about 5 lakhs.

I am thinking of pairing the amp with a Luxman C-800f preamp which i guess should match well. However do let me know if there are other preamps that you think I should consider. Budget is again about 4-5 lakhs for a used preamp. Are there any good CDPs/Digital front-ends with a built-in digital preamp that I should consider and thus do away with an analog preamp.

Really need your help guys as would like to get the system up and running quick and have it perform at its full potential.

Buying form anywhere across the world is not a problem as my organization has offices in almost all the capitals and I can request a colleague there.

Cheers and thanks for taking time to read (and hopefully respond to) this.

Viraj Singh
Delhi/Kabul

Get a decent DAC with a very good inbuilt pre and spend the maximum on speakers....the Harbeth 40.1 would be your last speakers with the Luxman Power amp...

60 watts of Class A power is more than enough to drive any speaker...

Hearty congratulations on your Luxman...I am sure it must sound sublime.

Thanks Rahul. How do you think will Luxman sound with Ascendo and Focal, which have a tremendous reputation. Saw some good deals on them in Europe.

Luxman M-800A power amplifier Measurements | Stereophile.com
Congrats on the Luxman Viraj. Anyways the specs are misleading in a positive way because if you read the stereophile measurement of the amp. it can output close to 160w at 8 ohm and 280w into 4 ohms both channels driven at clipping which is defined at 1% thd. This power will be adequate to drive most speakers, and to that end I would reccomend Ascendo's highly. I recently moved from the Harbeth Shl5 to Ascendo C8R. To me the C8R sounded significantly superior (mainly in resolution which is light years ahead of the ShL5). I have not heard the M40.1 (just casual auditions) so I cannot comment. If you are planning used there are quite a few Ascendo's higher series i.e system series in your budget available in Germany.
Regarding pre, I would recommend going in for a tubed pre. or if not at-least a tubed DAC, simply because I feel that having a tubed component in ones chain, especially high end really adds to the lushness and warmth which can sound very good. You can also get a Pre/DAC as a single component and reduce an additional component. A lot of digital volume control implementations now-a-days are very good. I myself have tried the Ayon Skylla volume control and to be honest it sounds excellent. I did not miss an analog volume control while using this. I would recommend the Ayon Stealth. Anyways good luck.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Never heard the Luxman with either of those speakers.... When you are in Delhi, contact Denny at Bass and Treble and see if you can hear your amp with any of the Ascendos he has in stock....

For listening to the Harbeths sound, you are more than welcome to come over with your amp...let me know when in town and we can catch up..

Thanks Rahul and Sid for taking time out to help me.

Rahul - I was in India earlier this week but only for 3 days and hence could not get in touch with you. May come again in early April and will then bother you with an audition. I have heard Soumen's Luxman 550 AII which is paired with Harbeth P3ESRs and they indeed sound great.

Sid - I have read a bit of the thread on your Speaker search which culminated in you acquiring ASCENDOs and will read it fully over the next few days. I have heard ASCENDOs briefly at Delhi AV Show a couple of years ago but not long enough to form an opinion (also I knew much less about good sound then :)). I shall revert with my queries once I have read more on ASCENDOs. I too noticed that they are available at a good price in Germany (and with no VAT to pay and shipping them with some colleagues personal items would make them even more reasonable) allowing me to even consider going for new ones. Would there be any other speakers that you have tried in you musical journey that you would recommend.

I am presently running the Luxman into my Dynaudio Excite-16 which has begun sounding so much better. Previously it sounded recessed as though the music was coming from way beyond.

Would also appreciate hearing from other HFV members if they think there are some other speakers that I could put on my shortlist.

Thanks and Cheers

Sid - I have read a bit of the thread on your Speaker search which culminated in you acquiring ASCENDOs and will read it fully over the next few days. I have heard ASCENDOs briefly at Delhi AV Show a couple of years ago but not long enough to form an opinion (also I knew much less about good sound then :)). I shall revert with my queries once I have read more on ASCENDOs. I too noticed that they are available at a good price in Germany (and with no VAT to pay and shipping them with some colleagues personal items would make them even more reasonable) allowing me to even consider going for new ones. Would there be any other speakers that you have tried in you musical journey that you would recommend.

Viraj,
Prior to acquiring the Ascendos, the speakers I considered were:
1. Rockport Mira 2
2. Evolution Acoustics Mini one
3. Magico S1
4. Wilson Sophia 2
5. Marten Django XL
6. Raidho D1
7. Dynaudio confidence c2
Reason I settled for the Ascendos was very simple, I was able to listen to their smaller siblings the C6 in my room with my equipment and the dealer was extremly helpful and/or accomodating. All these others were either at dealers without a home audition or in some case dealers did not even have them, available only upon order. 2 things I have learnt in my search for high end speakers (and it is my advice to you as well - don't get me wrong):
1. I will spend thousands of $ or lakhs of rupees only if the dealer makes an effort, by trying to earn my business, either by a home demo or extended showroom demo. That is the least we can expect as consumers and customers.
2. It is pointless to pursue higher end speakers (especially larger floor standers) based on reviews, recommendations etc. without first hearing them most preferably in your own listening room with your own equipment - and if this is not possible then an extended demo at the dealer showroom. Speakers are the most critical component that will interact with room acoustics and are likely to sound different in different rooms based on acoustics and this effect will be much larger and significant than matching electronics to the speakers. So at these price levels it is criticial to get something that will work with your room rather than some big brand name. I rather get a cheaper speaker that will couple well with my room rather than a whiz bang high end brand that will just overpower my room, which I have seen many people making the mistake of. In my case even with ascendo, I had the option of going with the new D9 or even the system series of-course at almost double the cost, but I realized that these speakers can easily overpower my small room, so I stuck with the C8R which is working superbly with my room.

Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
one of the better speakers i have heard over an extended audition session is the Wilson Audio Duette. This can work close to a rear wall and has fantastic sound.

The Vivid Audio Giya series is very nice too.

But i think for the powerful amp you have, it need a good load to drive which would imply a lower sensitivity speakers. It would be nice to sweat the amplifier without making it either too easy a load to too hard.... i hope you get what i am trying to say.

Since you already have the Dynaudios... why dont you look at a higher series from them.

or possibly you may consider the higher end Usher series as well. The best part here is they have an Indian distributor.

I am assuming budget and logistics is not a problem for imports etc..

good luck !

mpw

Very good amp bro!!

Ascendo, Vivid, Focal Utopia, Rockport are all great choices and will mate well with your speakers. If you want something more interesting, check out a Tannoy Canterburry GR. There is Tannoy dealer in Delhi too (if I remember).
Tannoy | Home

Hi Guys,

A distributor in Europe has quoted Tannoy Turnberry for Euro 3900 (after VAT refund); Kensington GR was quoted for Euro 7000 again after VAT refund. The rates in some European countries are quite competitive and now with the Euro depreciating it is even more so. Guys let me know how do these speakers do with various genres of music ... from classical to Rock.

Also how do you think this Luxman Power Amp will pair with an EAR 868 Pre.

Thanks

Hi Viraj,
I have heard the Luxman with EAR 912 driving Tannoys. It did sound fabulous. What I know us that the 868 is basically a version of 912 minus the meters and additional connectivity.

On the speakers I would recommend giving the Rethm Saadhnas a listen. Although I have heard only the version 1, there latest iteration V3 is definitely said to be leauges ahead. Another note is that they have ideally been paielred with tubes nut with the designer now having a hybrid amp, my guess is that it would be a good combo.

Regards

The distributor for Tannoy has changed and is now KEI in Mumbai

Tannoy | Home

I checked the Turnberry GR pricing and got a quote of 6.5 lakhs which is way to expensive for me....Sunny @ Acoustic Arts does not have any in stock..

Thats crazy pricing Panditji!! It is available for about 50% of that amount in the rest of the world:rolleyes:

Hi Guys,

A distributor in Europe has quoted Tannoy Turnberry for Euro 3900 (after VAT refund); Kensington GR was quoted for Euro 7000 again after VAT refund. The rates in some European countries are quite competitive and now with the Euro depreciating it is even more so. Guys let me know how do these speakers do with various genres of music ... from classical to Rock.

Also how do you think this Luxman Power Amp will pair with an EAR 868 Pre.

Thanks

Tannoy Prestige are one of the best all rounders I have ever heard. They can do Metallica and Ella with equal ease but they need to be powered well. That Luxman amp of yours is serious stuff.

Thats crazy pricing Panditji!! It is available for about 50% of that amount in the rest of the world:rolleyes:

And that is the reason why people buy abroad when we have to double prices for equipment which we cannot audition...For that amount, you can get a mid size luxury sedan which you can even test drive nicely....

Yes Rahul, We all had indeed heard the Guru together, and I was sufficiently interested in buying the demo piece of Guru Junior we had heard. But at that time Rs. 60K asked for it seemed like a lot of money ....:)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back