Help needed for choosing a stereo amplifier

arunr2009

Hi, I'm planning to buy a stereo amplifier, my budget is 20000 rs + 10000 rs for speakers.. can someone suggest me a good place to start.. thanks in advance.. forgot to tell you I'm staying in Madras...:licklips:

Is it going to be only for music and a 2.0/2.1 setup or are you looking to upgrade longterm to a 5.1/7.1 unit?

Instead of spending 20K on an amp and 10K on speakers I would do it the other way. For 10K (I think) you would get a Norge amplifier and for 20K you would get Wharfedales. Quite a few have the Norge on this forum so I would wait for them to give the correct costs involved and also what speakers would go well with it.

If you're looking for a 5.1/7.1 then start with HTIBs from Yamaha, Philips and Onkyo.

I'm a stereophile and not interested in surround setups... can you tell me something about the Norge and its availability in Madras.

Check and read up about them at Norge Audio. To my knowledge "murali_n" on this forum has a Norge and is very happy with it. Wait for inputs from him about how it performs, how much it costs and where it is available in Chennai.

get it directly from the owner mr bajaj in mumbai
the norge 1000 millenium amp at 9500rs

for a 20k budget you can get decent bookshelf speakers
there are a range to choose from
you need to audition to see which suites your tastes

you can start by looking for a thread called "budget speakers auditioned-a noobs take"

if you can take your budget to 40k
16-18 for speakers and 22k for an amp, you will have a very nice system
with that budget you should get a marantz or NAD amp too.

so what's the difference between 2000 reference and 1000 gold ... both are capable of feeding 250 watts..

the 2000 uses mosfet circuitry and is a more laid back amp.
ive heard both. i find the 1000 more lively and hence is a more flexible amp.

Also the 1000 amp has been preferred by most reviewers here too

You should also audition Craftel Amps and speakers from Audiocraft here in Chennai itself. For the price, these equipment good sound.

Cheers

Craftel sound familiar but haven't seen or heard one..So where in Chennai they are... I have no plans to extend the budget as I'm a budget conscious person... is it possible to get an amp and speakers within 20k

Craftel sound familiar but haven't seen or heard one..So where in Chennai they are... I have no plans to extend the budget as I'm a budget conscious person... is it possible to get an amp and speakers within 20k

Yes you can. Contact Mark at the following address:

Audiocraft
3rd Floor
37, Harris Road
Pudupet
Phone 2852 1243

Mark is opening a new showroom as well as releasing a new Mosfet based amp.

Cheers

Hi,

Mr.Muthusamy of our forum has a combo of floor standers and amp from craftel. This is what he has said about the setup.

Hi,

I bought floor stand speakers (150W x 2 RMS) and a 100Wx2 RMS amplifier (Model: STA 662) from Audiocraft on Oct '07. Price: Speaker units: Rs. 7,000; Amplifier: Rs. 6000.

Speakers are working good with soft bass, optimum mid range and good high frequency response. There is no rattling at maximum volume. Each box consists of a 12" woofer, 5" mid range, and 1" inch dome tweeter (Philips). Speaker and crossover components are procured from various sources and assembled by Audiocraft.

Dimensions of speaker units: 37" x 13.5" x 12" (HxWxD)

Speakers at various configurations are available at Audiocraft and they make according to your needs.
Muthu

Hope this helps.

cheers,
sri

Hi,
I have a Cambridge Audio 540A V2 amp and Mordaunt Short 902i speakers ....should be in your budget....fast, punchy sound...no thumping bass but quality of the bass is good... good with rock, pop,blues and country...give it a try...especially now that the CA amps are getting replaced....hopefully you can get a good discount...all the best,
Aku

Azur 550 A's thd is <0.05% 20Hz - 20kHz, @ 80 % of 60 watts....and norge 1000's thd is <.04% @ rated power...

Check and read up about them at Norge Audio. To my knowledge "murali_n" on this forum has a Norge and is very happy with it. Wait for inputs from him about how it performs, how much it costs and where it is available in Chennai.

Hai Moserw,

Thank u for referring my name. I welcome Mr.Arun to audition NORGE at my Place. I have also PMed my contact details to him.

Thanks,

N Murali.

Murali thanks for the info will let you know when I'm coming...Which Norge amp you have...just curious...

Hai Moserw,

Thank u for referring my name. I welcome Mr.Arun to audition NORGE at my Place. I have also PMed my contact details to him.

Thanks,

N Murali.

It's you who must be thanked for the willingness to open up your home and allow auditioning. Great to have such people like you on this forum.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back