Help needed for TV audio output through HTS

anuragb

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a LG 50PJ650R Plasma, a Philips HTIB 5530, and got a Airtel HD STB free with the TV. As of now, my DVD player is connected to the TV through an HDMI cable(the free one with the Home Theatre) and the Airtel STB is also connected to the TV through an HDMI cable(this came free with the STB). Since I am not a technical person, just wanted to know how to get the audio output of my TV(the satellite channels) through the Home Theatre? The Philips guy who had come to install the HTS said I needed to get a component cable, which I have now purchased from the market(MX Brand), but haven't been able to figure out what to connect where. Will be really grateful if someone can help me out.

If your PHILIPS HTS has hdmi in then you can connect using the hdmi cable .

Airtel HD settopbox should have a coaxial or optical digital out (also called SPDIF) where you can connect this using the digital coaxial or optical cable to your philips HTS. Check with your backside of settop box.

Component cable is meant for video only... This is not required since you are already connected using the HDMI cable. Replace it with either coaxial or digital optical audio cable.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a LG 50PJ650R Plasma, a Philips HTIB 5530, and got a Airtel HD STB free with the TV. As of now, my DVD player is connected to the TV through an HDMI cable(the free one with the Home Theatre) and the Airtel STB is also connected to the TV through an HDMI cable(this came free with the STB). Since I am not a technical person, just wanted to know how to get the audio output of my TV(the satellite channels) through the Home Theatre? The Philips guy who had come to install the HTS said I needed to get a component cable, which I have now purchased from the market(MX Brand), but haven't been able to figure out what to connect where. Will be really grateful if someone can help me out.

Hi anuragb,

You need an 2RCA to 2RCA Stereo Audio Cable for this connection. Check out at the back of LG TV in connectivity area, where you can find a option for connectting audio output RCA PINS marked as RED and WHITE, use the 2rca to 2Rca cable to connect your LG tv and an external Amplifier or Home Theatre or you can use this option same from the Set-Top Box audio output to the Home Theatre.

Hi anuragb,

You need an 2RCA to 2RCA Stereo Audio Cable for this connection. Check out at the back of LG TV in connectivity area, where you can find a option for connectting audio output RCA PINS marked as RED and WHITE, use the 2rca to 2Rca cable to connect your LG tv and an external Amplifier or Home Theatre or you can use this option same from the Set-Top Box audio output to the Home Theatre.

2RCA will not give you proper 5.1 surround. The Philips has a digital co-axial in port at the back (normally orange in color). Keep your connections as they are for now, get a digital coaxial cable from the market, and add a coaxial cable which connects the Coaxial Out of your Airtel HD box to the Coaxial In of the HTIB. That should give you surround from your HTIB. You can turn off your TV speakers since the DVD sound as well as the DTH sound should be coming from your HTIB.

Thanks guys, the coaxial cable(which I was confusing with a component cable) that I have got has 3 colours(RGB), which one should I use to connect my STB to the HTS?

Thanks guys, the coaxial cable(which I was confusing with a component cable) that I have got has 3 colours(RGB), which one should I use to connect my STB to the HTS?
Defnitely only coaXIAL DIGITAL CABLE.

The cable you got is component video cable used only for video..not for Audio.

Ask in the same electorincs shop for replacement of coaxial digital audio cable .. and give them back componenet cables.

First option is, and it is the best option with regard to sound quality:- If your Set Top box has digital out connection, connect the HTS through a digital coaxial cable. Philips HTSs invariably have "digital in" socket at the backside and the color code of this RCA type socket is black. The cable you have to purchase from market if not provided by Philips.
Another option is connect using left right RCA cables. color code of these cables and socket red and white. Connect "audio out" of the STB to "TV In" or "Aux In" it the HTIB.

Thanks guys, ended up connecting the STB and HTiB through the red and white cables, it's working fine now. Returned the component video cable to the store! Btw, getting the component cable was a recommendation of the Philips technician who had come to install my HTiB. He wanted me to buy the cable that he was carrying, for 1K. I bought it from a neighbourhood store later, for 750 bucks. Will call the Philips service center up and blast them now, for fooling me. Thanks a lot once again.

Thanks guys, ended up connecting the STB and HTiB through the red and white cables, it's working fine now. Returned the component video cable to the store! Btw, getting the component cable was a recommendation of the Philips technician who had come to install my HTiB. He wanted me to buy the cable that he was carrying, for 1K. I bought it from a neighbourhood store later, for 750 bucks. Will call the Philips service center up and blast them now, for fooling me. Thanks a lot once again.

The way you have made audio connections will only give you 2 channel sound or pseudo 5.1 via your HTiB..

To enjoy the real 5.1 audio, you need to connect S/PDIF audio output of STB to S/PDIF audio input on HTiB using a digital coaxial audio cable.. :)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back