Help needed in connecting my Denon receiver with multiple displays.

rush2samy

I just received my denon AVRx1400h. Since I am new to using receivers have some questions about its connectivity.
How should I connect my LED TV and projector together. I have both settled in either direction in hall. For cable TV I will be using LED TV. For movies will use projector. My question is how to connect both of them together and keep selecting outputs. Not sure if this is possible. For now I can see one HDMI out which I have used it to connect TV and atleast I am now able to play music through USB in receiver.

My guess if I connect HDMI set top box to CBL/SAT. It should work.
Not sure though lets hear answers then I will fire additional questions.

Does the receiver have multiple HDMI out? If not, you could use a HDMI splitter. I was using one such device to connect to my TV and projector. Both get signal in parallel. I had all my sources connected to the receiver.

MaSh

1400 has only one hdmi output. Connecting both TV & projector directly to the AVR is not possible. The AVR can accept multiple inputs though - you can connect your set top box HDMI out to the HDMI in labelled CBL/SAT

Since denon x1400h has only one HDMI out, by default you can connect only one output...either your TV or projector. Only workaround is to use HDMI splitter as suggested by @MaSh above. You can search for good HDMI splitter in this forum or do an online search and select one which has good review. One with remote will make your life easier.
With regard to inputs, you can use any of its 5 HDMI inputs. HDMI labelling (cbl/sat, Bluray etc) are for convenience and easy identification.

If you are planning to use your tv's smart apps (YouTube Netflix etc), do enable arc on your TV, to get sound from your TV to receiver.

Enjoy your new receiver...

Another multiple queries.
1. I am not able to tune into FM Radio even though I have connected the FM antenna. Not sure which setting am I missing. No sounds comes through speakers not even hissing sound. Can anyone please help me on this one.
2. When I switch to HD channel it moves to dolby digital but sound only comes from front and center speakers and not from surround speakers. Surround only works in Multi Stereo mode. Can some one explain me this.

Hi...
1. Press the tuner button to get into radio. Then press option to select am/FM. You can press up and down arrow to search next channels. There won't be any hissing. Once it gets radio, it will start playing..
2. Multi stereo is not surround. Once you are playing hd channels, press the info button on your remote to check input signal and output signal....the active speakers at input and output will be highlighted...

The surround speakers and input signals are highlighted still there is no audio. What could be the issue. Will I have to use specific surround speakers to make it work. Connection if fine since Multi stereo is giving sound.

Since multi stereo is giving sound, connection and level should be fine...and also you don't need any specific surround speakers.

Try playing a true 5.1 content. If possible do share a pic of your info screen when you are playing the content.

Also try a full shutdown by taking out the plug and plugging it back after 10-15 sec.

Is it happening sometimes or everytime...

I tried setting up the speaker configuration. Here is my understanding.
1. I have 5.0 setup with no sub woofer. I have connected Front Left Center and Front right to respective speakers. For surround speakers I have used Surround Left Back and Surround Right Back. Notice I have used BACK ones. My question: Is this right approach or will I have to connect to just surround jacks?
2. Now if I open Denon speaker Wizard it doesn't give me options to set only Surround Back Speakers. It first asks do you have surround speakers if I say NO then it comes out and goes ahead. Only if I say Surround speakers Yes then only it asks Do you have surround back as well and number of speakers.
I am confused here. Please help me on this.
I want to make sure that my speaker configuration are correct in first place before checking Dolby surround sounds.

Hi bro...since you have 5.0 setup, connect the speakers to surround L and surround R, irrespective of where you are placing your speakers. Don't use surround back L and surround back R. It is only applicable for 7 speaker setup. Then in the setup, when it asks if you have surround speakers, select yes and select no for surround back speakers. This should sort out the issue.

For reference you can refer to the connection layout in the manual.

Hope this helps...

Cheers
Siju

Ok so now I am connected properly. Still I don't hear any sound from surround speakers. May be during Dolby Surround the speakers goes on demand. Not sure. Here is my info screen shot from HD channel.File_Info.jpeg

What source are you playing from ? Surround speakers will produce sound only if the source has something in that channel. Stereo source will only play from the fronts. Try playing a 5.1 demo video from YouTube.

Could you please attach the screenshot of entire info screen including the top left portion. Just wanted to see what the AVR is receiving and what decoding is applied by AVR.

Also try some content which is very active on surround channels...via different source like usb...

USB is only playing audio files like mp3 and flac. Not sure if these are capable of Dolby surround. Is there any specific codec file which I can play. Denon is not detecting and playing mp4.

Denon cannot directly play video files. You need a source - like Nvidia Shield, or Apple TV , or Amazon Fire stick. Use one of those, and play a YouTube video with 5.1 sound.

If your TV has usb and it supports it, you can play some 5.1 content. Does your TV has Netflix and do you have Netflix account....Netflix does give one month free trial...you can use the free trial for testing...

Thanks Guys, now I was able to hear little sounds from surround speakers in Dolby Digital mode. I guess only when they receive audio signal they play. Now I will connect Auddysey mic to calibrate all of them.
Now my next query @sijusid I have Netflix in my TV now how to test it using TV. I also have youtube but how to play audio from receiver. I have connected the HDMI into TV ARC .What are the next steps to configure? I am still getting audio from TV only.

hi....first confirm in your TV, which HDMI port support HDMI ARC. it should be highlighted besides the port. check and confirm with your TV manual. some TV has only one port with ARC, while some TVs has ARC enabled on all ports. better to confirm this first.
Then use the HDMI cable between the ARC port on your TV and AVR.
Then on your remote control, select source as TV Audio. Also on your AVR, go to HDMI Setup (under Video settings) and enable HDMI control, ARC and TV audio switching. If there is no sound, you may have to dive in to your TV settings to enable ARC. some TV disable it by default. .

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back