Help needed in getting my laptop sound on soundbar through TV's HDMI ARC

rvs800

Hello Folks,
Need your suggestions for my problem.
My initial setup is like this - Connected my laptop and TV via HDMI to watch movies stored on my laptop on the big screen.
Now i added a soundbar to the mix. So the connections go like this - Laptop to TV via hdmi cable and TV to soundbar via HDMI ARC.
Playing Youtube on my TV, the sound works fine on the soundbar but When i play a movie on my laptop, the video appears on the tv but there is no sound on the soundbar. So i connected a aux cable from tv to soundbar, then the sound works on the soundbar but it is analog and inferior sound (since it is playing through aux).
Any ideas on how to get hdmi arc to output the laptop sound to the soundbar (without going through aux route)

Hello Folks,
Need your suggestions for my problem.
My initial setup is like this - Connected my laptop and TV via HDMI to watch movies stored on my laptop on the big screen.
Now i added a soundbar to the mix. So the connections go like this - Laptop to TV via hdmi cable and TV to soundbar via HDMI ARC.
Playing Youtube on my TV, the sound works fine on the soundbar but When i play a movie on my laptop, the video appears on the tv but there is no sound on the soundbar. So i connected a aux cable from tv to soundbar, then the sound works on the soundbar but it is analog and inferior sound (since it is playing through aux).
Any ideas on how to get hdmi arc to output the laptop sound to the soundbar (without going through aux route)

Did you checked the Sound settings in your laptop? You need to select the appropriate playback device in sound settings. May be a screenshot of your Playback devices listed in your laptop would be helpful to suggest the solution.

When the TV is directly playing content, it may be defaulting to HDMI ARC as the audio device, but not doing so when the input is through HDMI. With the laptop playing something, just check the TV's audio settings to see the selected output device.

Also, giving model name of the TV, soundbar etc. And which OS being used on laptop are helpful informations to give. When asking for solutions about tech issues, always try to give as much information as possible to get better responses.

Hi

This is how this should be. I am assuming your soundbar has atleast 2 HDMI ports, one is for input another is eARC.

Connect laptop to soundbar hdmi input and connect soundbar eARC to TV eARC.

Now every thing should work,content played on laptop and you tube from tv itself.

Good luck.
Vivek

Thanks for all you suggestions guys. The TV is a Mi Horizon TV connected to a Boat Aavante 1198 sound bar which unfortunately has only 1 HDMI (ARC) port. Somehow after restarting all the devices, I am able to get the sound of the laptop through the TV's HDMI ARC on the soundbar. Only grouse is the sound is too low when compared to content played directly on the TV. Will continue investigating with the cables and if nothing works will try plex server or cast and see if it improves the sound

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back