help needed in selecting a tv. budget: 35k max

marX

Hi guys!

I'm a sports lover and am currently looking to replace my aging crt TV. I don't want any fancy features, just want good picture quality (ips screen preferred).
I would love to have at least two hdmi inputs and an analog audio out (stereo).

Please help me out.

Btw, I have visited a consumer electronics dealer already but to my eyes, everything look almost the same. :p

For sports u should get a plasma. In 35k..u can get a Samsung 43 inch h4900 or lg pn4500. Samsung one has 2 HDMI and dedicated sports mode.

For sports u should get a plasma. In 35k..u can get a Samsung 43 inch h4900 or lg pn4500. Samsung one has 2 HDMI and dedicated sports mode.

Thanks for the reply :)

A. About Plasma TVs in general:

1. How long they "live", I mean, I hear they have a short life span. So, people who have had plasma TVs are very much welcome to comment on this.

2. I'm planning to get a "normal" type PC UPS (quasi-sinewave, 600VA) to protect it if I do get it. Is it OK ?
Do they need pure sinewave UPS to function properly (like the APC Smart series UPS) ?
Does the quasi-sinewave output from the normal UPSes can damage them ?

B. Samsung H4900
1.The MRP of this model is 46K which is over my budget.

BTW, there are two other models which are almost within my reach, like the H4100 and F4100. But, they have very low resolution in 852 x 480.
My phone has good 720P screen and my PC have a FHD IPS LG monitor. So, I'm worried that this huge 40" screen's low resolution would be a bit underwhelming.

C. LG PN 4500
1. The resolution again, is low, 1024x768.

SO, I'm guessing Plasma is not the way to go for me ?

At that budget, you really need to go with the Plasma. You don't sit 2 feet away or Half feet away from the TV. If your eyes cannot differentiate the resolution difference, then go with the one which is cheaper or take some one from your home whose eyes can resolve the pixels better.

After all, you may not find anything, but people with better vision than 20/20 can resolve the pixels which a 20/20 person cannot.

What ever TV you buy now, after three years, you may not find parts for it. Just get extended warranty.

At that budget, you really need to go with the Plasma. You don't sit 2 feet away or Half feet away from the TV. If your eyes cannot differentiate the resolution difference, then go with the one which is cheaper or take some one from your home whose eyes can resolve the pixels better.

After all, you may not find anything, but people with better vision than 20/20 can resolve the pixels which a 20/20 person cannot.

What ever TV you buy now, after three years, you may not find parts for it. Just get extended warranty.

I'll try to get to a demo at our local TV shop but I worry that as they are so biased to sell the TVs they want, I might have to bring a usb drive with some hd videos and pics with me.
Last time I went there, they were pushing so hard to sell me a videocon tv.
When I asked about Panasonic which had some great offers, they said that the whole brand is on the decline and their warranty services are poor.

i got a panasonic LED for myself along with 2yr extended warranty,dont beleive in such non sense preached at different elctronic stores, panasonic is known to have manufactured the best of plasmas in the plasma days,many members can attest to that.coming to your selection, i think all the options have already been listed out by other members,what you need to do is to have a side by side PQ comparison of the sets,take videos on your pendrive and play it on the TV,i did the same and i am very happy with my selection

I too was looking for a basic led tv and i m a sports freak as well, by going through various check, i have finally settled for philips PFL 5758 which has motion rate of 240 Hz perfect motion rate.

I have ordered today only, will be able to give a better perspective when i get the delivery for the same.

I'll try to get to a demo at our local TV shop but I worry that as they are so biased to sell the TVs they want, I might have to bring a usb drive with some hd videos and pics with me.
Last time I went there, they were pushing so hard to sell me a videocon tv.
When I asked about Panasonic which had some great offers, they said that the whole brand is on the decline and their warranty services are poor.

Most chaps in shops don't know anything about Tvs. But in all my experience, one guy blew that away when I was buying a Sony in chennai. He exactly knew everything he needed to know and was ready to learn from me on things which he didn't know. Even though I know everything, I listened to him just to understand his knowledge level. He had never witnessed a Sony reading 1 Tb hard disk and hence he wanted to test that since I was carrying two 1 Tbs HDs with me,so that he can tell the facts to other customers when they ask. All half baked ones were telling me that Sony will read only up to 500 Gb HDs

But when we tested, it read two 1 Tb hard disk connected simultaneously. So do your homework and trust your decision and ask for help with knowledgeable persons.Trusting your eyes and testing with sample movies is exactly u need to do. But before that you need to keep certain things in mind. The movie u take should be very well known to you. see those scene in a CRT first if possible. U Need to know how the picture and motion will look in a CRT first so that u can compare it in shop.

Preselect the scenes from the movies. Take Dark night( starting scene where they zoom in on the building, then when they grapple from one building to another then the Legendary chase scenes - These will show you motion judders and Black levels), Avengers (Lots of scenes are there, try playing the scene before the ship lifts off when Bane, Captain and Romanov are there in the deck. These will show judders in a basic LED Tv with low refresh rates) legend of Guardians, Avatar for colour reproduction.

In my opinion, these movies are famous and common and will be easily available to you.

Get minimum a 720 p 40 inch Flat panel. A 720 P 40 inch panel will serve you better than a 32 inch full HD panel.

I too was looking for a basic led tv and i m a sports freak as well, by going through various check, i have finally settled for philips PFL 5758 which has motion rate of 240 Hz perfect motion rate.

I have ordered today only, will be able to give a better perspective when i get the delivery for the same.

I think you are referring to 5578 I guess ??? Guess the panel's actual native refresh rate is 60 Hz only. But did u ever visually compare it or just went ahead by reading the specs alone ?

Hi Marx,

A lot of brands available in the market, names who never manufactured TVs before are now seen manufacturing and selling TVs....tread carefully.....trust your eyes and ears as you are the end user and you should feel content with the money you put down for the TV.

See the below links I used before deciding on what TV to go for...it will atleast provide a high level insight for you to make an informed decision.

Plasma vs LED vs LCD TVs

LED vs LCD vs plasma TV - Which? Technology

Can LED LCD look as good as plasma? - CNET

Tv Buying Guide - CNET

Whats the Difference Between Active 3D and Passive 3D TVs? | eBay

4K TV vs. OLED TV - CNET

Some people are brand conscious while others are budget conscious and some really want to have a TV with the required features / connectivity ....for me personally I look out for features to fulfil my requirements and which is good overall value for money in performance and warranty......go window shopping and demo / audition multiple brands and decide wisely!

Thanks for the reply :)

A. About Plasma TVs in general:

1. How long they "live", I mean, I hear they have a short life span. So, people who have had plasma TVs are very much welcome to comment on this.

My brother owns a LG 42 inch Plasma, more than 4.5 yrs old... Works without a glitch... There were issues only with electronics & not with the screen...

Other FM have already replied yo your queries... Good luck on your TV....

I think you are referring to 5578 I guess ??? Guess the panel's actual native refresh rate is 60 Hz only. But did u ever visually compare it or just went ahead by reading the specs alone ?[/QUOTE]

hi, ya you got it it right i was referring to PFL 5578 only, however i have cancelled dat order as seller was having old stock.
sorry but what you mean by actual native refresh rate, nd i went ahead just reading the specs.

If possible plz guide me a good buy in this segment, i am planning about LG 32lb5610, whats your views about that and is their anything else worth looking for??/

Regards

Thanks guys for the reply.

I had to postpone the buy to December due to other problems but please keep the suggestions coming.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back