HELP needed in setting up Home Theatre System

sumanh

Hi,
Just joined this forum a few minutes back. This is Suman from Kolkata. I was going through different threads of this forum for past 2 weeks and was quite impressed with the valuable informations shared. Last, I decided to join, hoping to get some help in setting up my HT system at my home.
Guys, I am a bit confused in selecting the AV Receiver & Speaker. I got a Samsung Full HD LCD. For past 2 weeks I was auditioning some AV Receiver & Speakers as follows...
1. Cambridge Audio 540R V3 Receiver & Wharfedale Speakers(Floorstanding 9.5, Centre 9CS, Surround 9 DFS & Sub SW150).
2. Yamaha RX V 463 Receiver & Sonodyne genie 2 speaker system.
3. Denon 1909 Receiver & Polk Audio TSi speaker series.

My room is of 140 sq. ft. But I want a very good set of Receiver & Speaker with incredible clarity, depth & all...My budget is around 1 Lakh for speakers & receiver. Also please suggest on the DVD player. I heard Appo is the best.
Please help me out as I am confused & lost in this market.

Thanks in advance.

Suman, of the three that you auditioned, which one did you like best? Based on that we can see which one you have to buy.

The DVD Player is Oppo and the model available in India is 981. That is indeed a very good player for both movies and music. You can also look at Pioneer's 810 which is also a good player.

Cheers

First, thanks a lot for such a quick reply.
I liked the combo of CA audio and Wharfedale, but Polk is very loud. But u know I am confused. The two systems are not available in a single place and I auditioned them in a gap of a week. So it is very hard to decide. Is there any other speaker or receiver brand which will make a good HT system. Please suggest.
Besides, how is Cambridge Audio 640R. Is it capable of upscaling and all?
Also suggest on Denon 1909 & 2309 & Yamaha RXv 663 & 863.

First, thanks a lot for such a quick reply.
I liked the combo of CA audio and Wharfedale, but Polk is very loud. But u know I am confused. The two systems are not available in a single place and I auditioned them in a gap of a week. So it is very hard to decide. Is there any other speaker or receiver brand which will make a good HT system. Please suggest. Besides, how is Cambridge Audio 640R. Is it capable of upscaling and all? Also suggest on Denon 1909 & 2309 & Yamaha RXv 663 & 863.

Loud is not good. The point to see is to be able to hear well at reasonable volumes.

In terms of speakers there are a large number of brands available - Wharfedales, AE, MS. Mission, Canton..... etc.

Regarding the amps, the CA is very good for music, and reasonable for movies. The Yamaha will sound good for movies and music. Between the Denon and Yamaha, this year, Yamaha has a slight edge in terms of sound signature, and the Yamaha 863 has been declared a winner in it's price class.

If you can be more specific as to what you are looking for, we can help you better.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,

Thanks again for your help and co-operation. To be precise, I want to set up a 5.1 Home Theatre system at my home. The room in which I am setting it up is particularly dedicated for entertainment. I would use the system for both music(songs including english pop, retro, jazz, etc., hindi & bengali) & movies(english sci-fi & action thriller) & tata-sky. I want a very good AV Receiver & matching speaker. I am liking Denon 2309 & Yamaha RX v 863 among receiver. But still to decide. But confused with the matching speakers. If you can guide me in this matter, I would be greatful to you.
I am also worried about the availability of all the brands in Kolkata.
If there is anything else you wanna know, pls let me know.

Thanks

Since you have heard and liked the Wharfedale, it is safe to go with that.

Regarding amps, you have three options:

1. Go for the Yamaha 863 and get a powerful system with upscaling and all that.

2. Like I did for a friend of mine, go for the 663, a DVD Player, and a dedicated CD Player to listen to music. A dedicated CDP will cost you around 20K. The 663 works well on pure direct mode to deliver good music using inputs from a CD Player. In this option you can go in for an inexpensive DVD Player.

3. Get a good DVD Player such as the Oppo 981, the Yamaha 663 for movies, and a decent two channel amplifier for music. The Oppo works well both as a DVD Player and as a CD Player. The two channel will allow you to enjoy music, and the Yamaha 663 movies.

Cheers

Suman ,

I am also from Calcutta and I have the following information regarding the dealers here. Please go through the thread below where I have received some valuable information from other Calcutta members. Though I didnt start exploring these places yet but will do soon.

Kolkata HiFi Dealers

Please share with me if you have any other informations besides the aforesaid.

First of all, tons of thanks to Venkat, Spirovious & Sanjub for all their support & suggestions.

How about a system with Yamaha AV Receiver - RXV 863, Wharfedale Speakers as mentioned in previous post & Oppo DVD player. Please suggest. Also please comment on cables & wires.

What if, Wharfedales are replaced by Tannoy. If so, please let me know about the Tannoy speaker models and approx. price. Is there any other good speakers which would match better with Yamaha 863.

Dear Sanjub, I have already visited Pro-FX, SKS Traders and Sonodyne Showroom & Channel 4. Listened to Denon & Polk in Pro-FX, CA & Wharfedales in SKS and Yamaha HTib in Channel 4. Channel 4 deals in Yamaha & Sonodyne. They are able to supply almost all Yamaha Products available in India.

First of all, tons of thanks to Venkat, Spirovious & Sanjub for all their support & suggestions.

How about a system with Yamaha AV Receiver - RXV 863, Wharfedale Speakers as mentioned in previous post & Oppo DVD player. Please suggest. Also please comment on cables & wires.

What if, Wharfedales are replaced by Tannoy. If so, please let me know about the Tannoy speaker models and approx. price. Is there any other good speakers which would match better with Yamaha 863.

Dear Sanjub, I have already visited Pro-FX, SKS Traders and Sonodyne Showroom & Channel 4. Listened to Denon & Polk in Pro-FX, CA & Wharfedales in SKS and Yamaha HTib in Channel 4. Channel 4 deals in Yamaha & Sonodyne. They are able to supply almost all Yamaha Products available in India.

Thanks Suman, may I know the exact address of Channel 4 with a nearby landmark and do you have any price offered by them on Yam 663 and 863 ??

Hi Sanju,

Here is the address of Channel 4: 19C Sarat Bose Road, Kolkata 700020.
Tel: (033) 24866152.
It is near AAEI Petrol Pump.
863 is approx. 78K & 663 is approx 42K. If u r going to visit their place, please let me know about the rates they are offering now.

Thanks

Hi Sanju,

Here is the address of Channel 4: 19C Sarat Bose Road, Kolkata 700020.
Tel: (033) 24866152.
It is near AAEI Petrol Pump.
863 is approx. 78K & 663 is approx 42K. If u r going to visit their place, please let me know about the rates they are offering now.

Thanks

Definitely I will . But in Yamaha India website 663 is quoted as 54K

Yes, I have seen myself too. May be some dealer discount...dont know. Its better you call them and confirm.

The closest to the Wharfedales are the Tannoy custom built around the F4 floor standers. Here are specs comparison with the Wharfedales 9.5 specs are shown within brackets.

Recommended amplifier power - 10 - 140 Watts (30-150)
Low frequency response - 35Hz (35Hz)
Sensitivity - 91dB (88dB)
Nominal impedance - 8 ohms (6 Ohms)
Frequency response - 35Hz - 20kHz (30Hz - 24Khz)

DRIVE UNITS
High frequency - 25mm (25mm)
Mid Frequency - None (165mm)
Low frequency - 2x165mm (1x165mm)

CROSSOVER
Frequency - 2.7kHz [Bi-wireable] (140Hz, 2.4 Khz) [Bi-ampable]

CONSTRUCTION
Dimensions 970 x 204 x 290mm (900x223x301)

Some points to keep in mind - The Tannoys use paper cones while the Wharfedales use Kevlar. The Wharfedales are rear firing while the Tannoys are rear firing. The Wharfedales have a separate driver for mid range while the Tannoy use both woofers for low frequencies. So the separation between the mid and low frequency will depend upon the crossover built in. The Tannoys use a 4th Order Linkwitz-Riley crossover which is damn good.

All in all the Wharfedales and Tannoy are well matched technically. You must listen to both with the same music and DVDs to decide which ones you like. For Tannoy prices you will have to check with the dealer. There are also some price specific threads that may have the pricing. I doubt the prices will vary too much from the Wharfedales.

The Yamaha 863 is an excellent choice for an amp. And the Oppo is one of the best DVD Player around.

Regarding cables you will need the following:

1. Two HDMI cables - one for DVD Player to amp and another from amp to TV. These will cost your roughly 1500-2000 each.
2. 14 or 16 AWG speaker cables of a good brand such as DAC or Bandridge. This will cost you roughly 70 odd Rupees a meter. Take a couple of meters extra after measuring the distances from the amp to all the speakers.
3. Good quality composite cable (White, Red, Yellow witb RCA connectors) to connect your STB to the amp. This will be roughly 800.
4. If you are very particular, you can also connect the DVDP to the amp through a two channel high quality RCA cable and use that when you play Redbook CDs. This will cost you some 2000 or so if you go in for a good brand such as Supra, Straightwire, DAC, QED, etc.
5. You will need 12 pairs of good quality banana spades for connections. These will cost you around 200 a pair from MX.
6. You will need a high quality sub woofer cable costing roughly 2000 Rupees. Look for a sub cable from DAC, Bandridge, Atlona, Eagle and similar brands.

You also have to look at some power conditioning equipment such as a Servo Controlled stabiliser.

Cheers

Hi,
Just gathered some information and like to share the same with all. In Kolkata, Digital Acoustics deal in Tannoy Speakers. The Tannoy F4 Custom Floor Standers are a bit expensive than Wharfedale 9.5. Infact the full series of Tannoy is expensive than the Wharfedale. And the Velodyne 10" sub is also costly.
Is there any other sub which suits well with the Tannoy F4 and F1 series and sounds great, but a bit less in price. The Velodyne Sub is around 42K here.
And full speaker set up is coming to more than a lac. Whereas the Wharfedales were totaling to 70K.
Now its time to audition the Tannoy....I should do that within this week-end.

Cheers

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back