Help needed on calculating total wattage

arnprasad

Hi,

6mths back..I got a pioneer 1020K receiver and this is what it says on its wattage:

Continuous average power out of 80 watts per channel at 8 ohms, front stereo 80W+80W. Power output is 110 watts per channel.

Next week going to US and planning to buy Polk audio psw10 sub woofer. Woofer specs say

Power output dynamic - 100 watts
power output RMS - 50watts.

Now both the receiver and subwoofer are from US and hence need power converter. When I bought the 1020 I bought a converter from SP road and its total capacity is 1000 Watts.

I need some advice if it can take both the existing 1020 and future purchase psw10 sub woofer.

Other buying the sub woofer from US for 100 dollars may not make sense if I have to spend another 3K for the transformer.plus it takes up additional space

Last time I had raised a similar query during the 1020 purchase...couple of senior contributors on this forum had divergent views oncalculating the total wattage. :mad:

I think PSW10 sub comes with a voltage selector. But anyway 1KW step down transformer should work fine for both of them.

Regards

Hi,

6mths back..I got a pioneer 1020K receiver and this is what it says on its wattage:

Continuous average power out of 80 watts per channel at 8 ohms, front stereo 80W+80W. Power output is 110 watts per channel.

Next week going to US and planning to buy Polk audio psw10 sub woofer. Woofer specs say

Now both the receiver and subwoofer are from US and hence need power converter. When I bought the 1020 I bought a converter from SP road and its total capacity is 1000 Watts.

I need some advice if it can take both the existing 1020 and future purchase psw10 sub woofer.

Other buying the sub woofer from US for 100 dollars may not make sense if I have to spend another 3K for the transformer.plus it takes up additional space

Last time I had raised a similar query during the 1020 purchase...couple of senior contributors on this forum had divergent views oncalculating the total wattage. :mad:

Hi,

You should check the back of the amp to see its wattage printed. Merely summing up the sound power won't give you the electric power consumption. Ditto for subwoofer. Then add the two to get the total wattage.

You mean whats printed in the manual wont help?

I can see the back of my 1020K - its says 120V at 60 Hz and 245W..does that give us a clue? Thx

That means the maximum power consumption of the amplifier is 245W and your 1kW converter can handle it very easily.

I am ordering it tomorrow..would appreciate few more answers please particularly since similar question from me 6 months back got divergent answers., Dont want my new woofer to fry the transformer and burn itself and my 1020K. Thx:mad:

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back