Help Needed: Repair of Cary Audio Design PreAmp

Hope it is smthg of that sort and not very serious.

Hi,

The good thing with tube stuff is that even major problems (except blown output transformers) are easily fixable.

There are no rare/obsolete transistors and IC's to deal with.All parts are easily available.

Regards
Rajiv

you are right. I noticed that inside the preamp, it is all point to point . hand wiring, capacitors, resisotrs , diodes etc., but NO PCB

I took the unit to Sanjay Raut, of AVC , Mumbai this week .
Actually , my problem of no output in left ch is intermitant. it comes and goes. It did not work properly for two weeks or so , and I posted on the forum. Then I took the unit to Mumbai two days ago , and when the technician tested in my presence, both chanels worked fine. He kept it overnight and tested few times , it worked well all the time. So I took it back yesterday.
Like Captrajesh suggested , it could be the cord problem , or connector problem. Bur I do not know. Even though this unit is mfd in 1991-92 , it gives such nice sweet and warm sound, I hate to just abondon it. I would rather put it to my second hifi system at my native place home.
Thanks you all guys for your help and interest in my problem.

GerogeO,
When techi tested my unit , he also told me that PCB very good quality , is double epoxy ( or glass coated ? ) , heavy one and all solders are still good, no dry solders .All jacks are gold plated. Internal wiring are silver wires . I asked to check all the caps and other parts, but he said all are fine , nothing needs to be replaced .
So i wish to somehow continue to get further use from this unit. Only hope not to be bogged down by the problem.

Good news, after all it just may be a simple problem as you indicated.. Yes I agree the sound of tube preamps and amps is very nice- I have a tube pre and a couple of tube amps, and have now abandoned my ss preamp and power amp!

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back