Help Needed: Repair of Cary Audio Design PreAmp

Radni14

I own a Cary Audio Design PreAmp model CAD 5500 , and recently I find Left channel output is NIL ( No output ) whereas Right Ch is working fine. This is a Tube PreAmp. I opened the cover and find that out of four tubes , only two of Right Ch have Red glow while Two tubes of Left Ch have no glow.
I cannot handle any repairs. I need someone who can work on my preamp and repair it for me at a fee and part cost, etc.
Are there any such repair service available in India ? I am willing to send my preamp to him . I will appreciate you guys suggestions and reco for such shops in India.
Thanks

Are the tubes fine? Just interchange the left channel tubes with the right channel and see what happens

The tubes are fine. Quite new, infact.
I did interchange the tubes , it is same result. Left ch showing no output. No glow on two tubes on the left ch.

I am not good at understanding electronics. But I see the preamp has a separate power supply box from which a cord with 12 pin-plug come to be plugged into the preamp .
I am ready to ship out this unit for someone expert to look at it for repairs.

There is only one fuse at the back of the unit. i do not know if this is what cptrajesh is asking.

radni14, i would think any electronic repair shop would be able to test out to see which component is gone..can you check and find out any in your city ? am, sure there are people around who repair Hifi like Onkyo etc etc ...

there is a good repair shop in Bangalore, but not sure if it is worthwhile to ship across.

There is one dealer of ONKYO who has a technician to attend repairs, but my past experience has not been too good : I did not find him very knowledgeable as he could not identify or solve my problems on my other gears. (later, I infact sent to Cary , USA to get it fixed )
If there is good shop in Banglore, I am ready ship .
Pl guide me.

You can contact Hitech Systems at (080)41105959. he is very reliable but not sure if they are willing to risk a postal/courier based work. Mumbai might just be a better bet for you,

Why don't you speak to AVC Inc at Mumbai (Sanjay Raut 9820008982)? This guy has experience with tube electronics. He repaired my Audio Research Pre as Power amps. Takes his own time, but does the job well. I suggest you lug it to Mumbai! instead of sending by courier unless you can do a very good job of packing it.
Joshua

Checked its manual on the net. The main unit is called a black box, gets its power from a smaller box which may contain the transformer. The connecting cable may be the culprit IMO.

Since you are not familiar with electronics and are apparently technically unadventurous, you may have to look for some good technician. Since every city has a few good knowledgeable guys, I suggest you find someone closer.

PM fellow forum members in your city. I'm sure you'll find someone competitive in Ahmedabad itself. If not, you are sure to get some one in Mumbai.

contact abhishek biswas ph: 09916728013 of audio reference in bangalore. he is a dealer of cary audio. i am sure he will attend to your pre-amp

contact abhishek biswas ph: 09916728013 of audio reference in bangalore. he is a dealer of cary audio. i am sure he will attend to your pre-amp
According to Cary website, they have only one dealer in India whose details are reproduced below but I'm not sure if he would be able to help considering that the equipment in question was released way back in 1991-92 and out of production now.

Name and Address

Cinema Focus (India) Private Limited
New Decor Towers, No 71 (old No 42)
Chennai, Mylapore, 600-004
India
Contact Information

Phone: 91-44-2811-7755; 91-44-2811-7722
Email: [email protected]; [email protected]
Fax: 91-44-2811-7585

Thanks you all for valuable guidance.
I do prefer Mumbai to Banglore due to shipping issues. I travel to Mumbai frequently and hence can carry the unit personally.
I also spoke to Sanjay Raut in Mumbai , he sounds confident to handle this job for me. Even he says NOT to ship or courier it . I will give the unit to him during my next trip to Mumbai.
Thanks you all .

When you give it to him, ask him if you can hang around his techie while he trouble shoots-you will learn a thing or two. The advantage of being present is that you can see and understand what he does-is there a problem with the mains transformer, or the power supply side or something else.

George O,
you are right. I will sure try to see how the job is handled. I will be travelling from Ahmedabad , so only hope he can take it up while I am there.

Hi,

@Radni14,try to get a service manual/schematic of the pre-amp.

Cary should be able to send you one,or search for it online.

Having the service manual makes things a lot easier.

Regards
Rajiv

Dennis Had is the owner of Cary, probably makes sense to also send him an email, asking for the service manual. Sometimes they are a bit wary of sending the schematic, so it makes sense to quote your preamp's serial number, and maybe send a date stamped photo of the preamp along with the email.

Hi
There seems no supply to your tubes, the filaments are not lit, defnitely a power problem .

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back