vser

which TV Tuner Card to buy?
Need your help to connect TATASKY to my computer, please help

My Hardware
(1)
TATA SKY dish connection
(2)
HP Core2Duo, 2 GB RAM
19 inch HP LCD MONITOR (HP w1707 wide LCD monitor) (1440 x 900 resolution)

I would like to WATCH TATASKY on my HP w1707 *AND SIMULTANEOUSLY* work on my computer on the same monitor

I understand its possible to use LCD monitor AS *ONLY* TV or *ONLY* computer monitor, but i need to view them both simultaneously

Please help me in selecting the TV Tuner Card or/and other equipment if needed

Internet TV Tuner card? which model and make?
External TV Tuner card? which model and make?

will appreciate your help

You could buy a TV tuner card which has a line in and attach the tata sky to the line in of the tuner card. this would allow you to watch the tata sky feed in a window (or full screen) through your computer. a video capture card would would serve purpose as well, if you can find one that is cheaper.

alternately, you could use the RF out of the STB to connect the tatasky to the TV tuner card, tune the TV to the appropriate channel, which will allow you to get a TV window through your computer. you could then use the line outs of the Tata sky to connect to your monitor directly (provided your monitor supports it/ or through an interface.). this would allow you to get TV on the monitor irrespective of whether the CPU is off or on.

cheers

Kapil

thanks for your reply
the 2 scenarios you have mentioned, which one will give the BEST picture quality?

also, any pointers to a particular Brand of TV tuner card and model no. (internal or external) that can achieve , would be beneficial to me

regards

A suggestion: Why don't you buy a second monitor (assuming your video card or video chip will support it)? If you get used to working with 2 monitors, you will never go back to a single monitor. 2 monitors are also ideal for the kind of usage you are looking for, and you can get a small one for very reasonable prices. Your current monitor's resolution is also not good enough for you to comfortably tile two windows side by side.

Just a suggestion though :)

You can do this in an LCD TV. My current TV (Samsung Bordeaux) allows Picture in Picture between TV mode and PC mode.

Go for internal TV tuner card.Pinacle and Avermedia has got good reviews.Using internal TV tuner card wil make u to open the picture in a window and simultaneously u can work with other activities.It wil also enable u to record the content in mpeg2, mp4 and avi formats also.Aver media costs arnd 1.5k and has a composite in.U can connect ur composite out of Tatasky to card's composite in directly .Just check it out.

My Hardware
(1)
TATA SKY dish connection
(2)
HP Core2Duo, 2 GB RAM

I would like to WATCH TATASKY on my HP w1707 *AND SIMULTANEOUSLY* work on my computer on the same monitor

I understand its possible to use LCD monitor AS *ONLY* TV or *ONLY* computer monitor, but i need to view them both simultaneously

Hauppauge has got some excellent product for TV on PC, and you can watch TV and work simultaniously, that is actually the whole point of having a PC TV, anyway not only you can work/watch at the same time, you also get the full advantage of a PVR (personal video recorder) much like TataSky+ (pause, record and rewind live TV).
And incase you dont know Pinnacle the leading company in Video Products has sold off their PCTV product to Hauppauge. Check out THIS page for current line of products, you can choose one per your needs....

My Hardware
(1)
TATA SKY dish connection
(2)
HP Core2Duo, 2 GB RAM

Hi, let me tell you what I am using: I use a Pinnacle PCTV USB2.0 (Not produced anymore, but you can go and checkout on their website to see which models are current). It connects to the PC via USB Port. You can connect the Composite output (Yellow cable) of TSky to the Composit input of the Pinnacle PCTV USB. You can also use the S-Video cable to connect TSky and the Pinacle. Coming to the audio, Pinnacle PCTV USB accepts only Line-in, which means you will have to purchase one of those connectors that will connvert your RCA Type audio White or Red cable) into the ine-in port of the PCTV USB. Remember, the PCTV USB accepts only Mono audio. It records mono audio too, but not sterio. I have been successful in recording TSky programs at VCD Quality using this set-up. It is not suggested for DVD -quality video though the product manual says we can record at DVD-Quality.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back