Help needed to build a NAS media server (Wireless)

AFAIK, streaming video wirelessly is not possible at this time because of the density of video files, whereas audio is possible. Why not( unless I missed out something) locate your NAS in close proximity to your video gear and wire it? That's what I plan to do.

George

AFAIK, streaming video wirelessly is not possible at this time because of the density of video files, whereas audio is possible. Why not( unless I missed out something) locate your NAS in close proximity to your video gear and wire it? That's what I plan to do.

George

I haven't tried myself, But Wireless N supports up to 300Mbps in theory and should be able to stream video files.

hm... interesting.... i guess i will postpone streaming to TV for some time until i get some product which is able to stream HD content wirelessly. For now i will just go with a NAS Media server which will broadcast intenet and share files to the clients.

I just need some more input on what will be the good configuration to build a NAS server, the config should hold good when I start streaming the media to TV's (in the near future :)). So below will be the list i will be needing to build up a NAS server, please provide me with the best in each category.

1.NAS Server
1.1.CPU -
1.2.Motherboard
1.3.RAM - Bigger it's better, Although you should be aware of Windows Xp limitations as it supports only up to 3.5 GB, So choose an operating system flavour which supports this.
1.4.SATA Controller Card (To increase the number of HD's in the future)
1.5.RAID Controller Card (Somewhere i read to better have it, is it true?)
Yes, Software RAID is often inferior to a Hardware RAID. RAID 5 will give you better performance and better cost efficiency.
1.6.Ethernet Cards (I am planning on 2, one for internet and file sharing and the second for media streaming to Tv's in future, are 2 required?)

Having 2 interfaces would definitely improve. But you've said you will be using only Wireless and not wired. In that case why do you need 2 cards?
1.7.HD's
1.8.Video Card
1.9.TV-Tuner (For future to record TV-Shows)
1.10.SMPS
1.11.Fans/Colling
1.12.Cabinet
1.13.OS (MS Media Server?) - See my note in 1.3

2.Wireless Router (802.11n) (this also i am planning for 2, one for internet and file sharing and the second for media streaming to TV's in future, are 2 required? )

I don't think you require 2, 1 should be suffice.

3.All the clients will have Wireless ethernet cards to access intenet and files from the media server (Should i go with internal cards or usb ones?)

4.UPS

I guess i am not missing any!, please provide you valuable input or even..., redirecting to links also is good :)

Once again thanks for all the info.

See if this helps, I'm not 100% sure of the components now available in India now. Your best bet would be to browse through the HTPC section in here and look for components.

BTW why don't you buy a simple NAS enclosure which has RAID on board and attach it to the router and ask the users to connect to it wireless instead of creating a specific rig for this.

i worked on a product called home gateway router ,
enables so sharing of HDD ,printer and internet connection , with access previledges controlled by admin.

you need a wireless version .....

1)Home gateway Routers with 802.11N will allow smooth video
sharing
some info here:Selecting Wireless Router for Home Network,Router as Wireless Bridge | Connected Home - Easy Home Networking Guide
2)Also with linux NFS server setup ...wdtv can be used for pulling the video streams with
a firmware update:B-RAD WDLXTV enhanced WDTV firmware

I never tried till now .

Hi teky thanks for the info, as far as i see NAS enclosures are costly and they are difficult to upgrade, in this case i can have more flexibility (DIY) to choose from and design in such a way that it can be easily upgraded until for some years :). And the reasons for 2 NIC cards and 2 Wireless Routers is to separate the below:
1.File sharing and Internet sharing
2.Media streaming to TV's

Please look into the attached image to find out if we are on the same lines and can it be improved or any problems?

Attachments

• Diag.jpg
    Diag.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 55
Haven't used stand alone NAS myself, so I'm unsure of upgrade.

Actually I thought of creating a visio for you and you've done it yourself. I don't think you will need to one Router for Media & one for Internet, 1 should be suffice. Start of with 1 Router and if we really see a performance bottleneck then you can add another Router (May be one without a modem as it can be cheaper)

yes correct...! currently i have dropped the idea of streaming the content to TV, but in the future i will go for it when new router with high transfer rate is available. But currently i am struck with the h/w config should i go with high config like a gaming rig or just a normal one, can you guys direct me to some links where the h/w config is already taken care of?

Hello Jay,
well I wactch videos streamed wirelessly in my tv. I have some dvds ripped as iso files in my computer hard disc and my netgear treat them as dvd files with menu and everything. It is same like playing dvd. I also play some HD clips which are stored in my computer and they play quite well. My linksys wirelss router wrt54G is pretty old installed in 2007 i guess now a days you have faster wireless routers. So streaming videos should not have any problem.
Thanks.

George

yes correct...! currently i have dropped the idea of streaming the content to TV, but in the future i will go for it when new router with high transfer rate is available. But currently i am struck with the h/w config should i go with high config like a gaming rig or just a normal one, can you guys direct me to some links where the h/w config is already taken care of?

Jay head here....I'm not that aware of components available in India now.

Cheap download RIG/NAS for BSNL DataOne - TechEnclave

Mods - Please delete the link if it's in appropriate.

Hi teky, can you give the list of components which you think would be better and future proof, i will check if they are available in India?.

hm.... how about the below?

Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard - ASUS P5QC
RAM - CORSAIR 2X2GB DDR3 1333MHz

Will the above be an overkill or they are fine?

Last edited:
Hello Jay,
well I wactch videos streamed wirelessly in my tv. I have some dvds ripped as iso files in my computer hard disc and my netgear treat them as dvd files with menu and everything. It is same like playing dvd. I also play some HD clips which are stored in my computer and they play quite well. My linksys wirelss router wrt54G is pretty old installed in 2007 i guess now a days you have faster wireless routers. So streaming videos should not have any problem.
Thanks.

Hi Mahiruha

How does your TV receive the output from netgear router?

Regards

hm.... how about the below?

Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard - ASUS P5QC
RAM - CORSAIR 2X2GB DDR3 1333MHz

Will the above be an overkill or they are fine?

Sorry, I've not been in touch with the hardware in India for quite a while. So I suggest your best bet is techenclave.

However by looking at the Specs - Intel Core 2 Quad should be impressive and can do serious number crunching and 4 GB of RAM would nicely complement that. I'm unsure of the board though.

Hi guys, i am trying to freeze the below products any idea where to get them in India or to be shipped to Bangalore?

RANGEMAX DUAL BAND WIRELESS-N GIGABIT ROUTER - WNDR3700
RANGEMAX DUAL BAND WIRELESS-N USB 2.0 ADAPTER - WNDA3100

Hey Jayaveer,
look like I saw this thread a little late. :sad:

But I have NAS running at home and its ideal for a SOHO.:indifferent14:

I use the following D-link equipment:
NAS : D-Link DNS 323
w/l Router: D-Link DI624+ , planning to upgrade to DIR-825
Media Player: DSM 320. Planning now to install a HTPC.
My network has two PCs, two laptops and now plannnig an htpc to be connected to it.

Do google it, The NAS DNS 323 is an award winner, can take 2 SATA 3.5" HDD, can therefore store 2TB of Music/Data/Files/Video etcetc. Work on a Linux Platform. It does not need a computer to be on to access it. It can also be an FTP server etc and can be accessed from WAN as well as on LAN.;)
If you still in planning stage, then let me know....

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back