Help needed to choose sub woofer

captainrizal

I want to add sub woofer to my existing setup. Please refer to my signature for HT set up. I’m in dilemma as to which sub woofer shall I go with. I have shortlisted following

1. Polk HTS 12
2. Polk HTS 10
3. Klipsch R 125
4. BIC America F12 475

My room size is 12’ x 14’ and budget sub 50k, preferably 12” but considering my room size and existing Q acoustics Sub, I can settle with 10” also.
TIA

I want to add sub woofer to my existing setup. Please refer to my signature for HT set up. I’m in dilemma as to which sub woofer shall I go with. I have shortlisted following

1. Polk HTS 12
2. Polk HTS 10
3. Klipsch R 125
4. BIC America F12 475

My room size is 12’ x 14’ and budget sub 50k, preferably 12” but considering my room size and existing Q acoustics Sub, I can settle with 10” also.
TIA
In this list i think the HTS12 is the best option. Smalls subs for small rooms are just wrong information. Go for the biggest in your budget. My room size is just 10*11 and i have dual 12 rythmik's.If not for the inflation i would have gone for dual 15. You can also go duals or quads if you can accommodate and have the budget

In this list i think the HTS12 is the best option. Smalls subs for small rooms are just wrong information. Go for the biggest in your budget. My room size is just 10*11 and i have dual 12 rythmik's.If not for the inflation i would have gone for dual 15. You can also go duals or quads if you can accommodate and have the budget
But here you told that big powerful subwoofers are not for small rooms.
Post in thread 'Problem with the XTZ 12.17 Edge' https://www.hifivision.com/threads/problem-with-the-xtz-12-17-edge.76596/post-842822

So, which of the two is correct?

But here you told that big powerful subwoofers are not for small rooms.
Post in thread 'Problem with the XTZ 12.17 Edge' https://www.hifivision.com/threads/problem-with-the-xtz-12-17-edge.76596/post-842822

So, which of the two is correct?
Yes i analyzed wrongly and tend to stay corrected. Its been 3 years since i made that statement and later brought in so many sub-woofers and tested in my room.That is why subjective opinions should not be taken absolute and one needs to experiment on his own. Now i have fvx 12 and lv12f in a dual set up which are big sub-woofers. My knowledge on sub-woofers initially was totally wrong. But now i have some good experience with so many subs experimented at my place with measurements. Room basically is the most important factor but you can go with big and powerful subs

Last edited:
Yes i analyzed wrongly and tend to stay corrected. Its been 3 years since i made that statement and later brought in so many sub-woofers and tested in my room.That is why subjective opinions should not be taken absolute and one needs to experiment on his own. Now i have fvx 12 and lv12f in a dual set up which are big sub-woofers. My knowledge on sub-woofers initially was totally wrong. But now i have some good experience with so many subs experimented at my place with measurements. Room basically is the most factor but you can go big and powerful subs
That's the exact reason why I still remember your old comments. Because, you have used a ton of subs, you have experimented a lot and that is why your posts are much more valuable.

That's the exact reason why I still remember your old comments. Because, you have used a ton of subs, you have experimented a lot and that is why your posts are much more valuable.
But sadly this has lead me down a path where i never reach a satisfaction in Bass :( . You will be surprised on so many factors involved when it comes to bass response. For instance installing a 65inch Oled tv in-between LCR is causing so much SBIR which is a nasty bass killer

Well no sub really works without bass management. @Love4sound's gear seems to be using minidsp for that. There's also dirac stuff from minidsp that works reasonably well. I'd fuss a lot more about bass management equipment, especially now that one can get insanely good results using dsp, than about the subs. If you don't have something implemented already, do think about that - and about distortion specs of the sub at realistic sound levels. Other than that, there's good reason to pick sealed subs over ported, if there's a choice.

Thanks. Yeah HTS 12 is highest on my list. One dealer is quoting 43k for it. Is it bit too high?

Well no sub really works without bass management. @Love4sound's gear seems to be using minidsp for that. There's also dirac stuff from minidsp that works reasonably well. I'd fuss a lot more about bass management equipment, especially now that one can get insanely good results using dsp, than about the subs. If you don't have something implemented already, do think about that - and about distortion specs of the sub at realistic sound levels. Other than that, there's good reason to pick sealed subs over ported, if there's a choice.
Yes i use a Mini dsp and it gives excellent results. Even when i used a single sub it gave better results. I know there is one with dirac live but again you need to learn something new. The calibration with standard is simple and straight forward
Thanks. Yeah HTS 12 is highest on my list. One dealer is quoting 43k for it. Is it bit too high?
What is the Mrp? 15-18% is standard discount and 20-25% depending on dealers. If you cant let me know ill give contact and you may get 25% discount

Add Mission MS450 to this list.
Sure. Will check the specs and reviews
Yes i use a Mini dsp and it gives excellent results. Even when i used a single sub it gave better results. I know there is one with dirac live but again you need to learn something new. The calibration with standard is simple and straight forward

What is the Mrp? 15-18% is standard discount and 20-25% depending on dealers. If you cant let me know ill give contact and you may get 25% discount
MRP is 56k. He is giving me at 43k. That’s the best he can do for me. I have never dealt with him. He is based in Hisar Harayana.

But sadly this has lead me down a path where i never reach a satisfaction in Bass :( . You will be surprised on so many factors involved when it comes to bass response. For instance installing a 65inch Oled tv in-between LCR is causing so much SBIR which is a nasty bass killer
Yes. There are so many things involved when it comes to bass reaponse.
I would suggest you to try sealed subwoofers in your room. If Im not wrong even IMAX uses sealed sub.
Also, our forum member annamalai (I don’t remember his handle) have switched from a svs sub to a dual 18 inch JBL pro sub. It is giving him a lot of something that svs couldn’t produce at all. I think he is in chennai and you may ask him for an audition. There is a thread in hifivision about his sub.
That sub cannot go below 22hz, iirc but the punch it produces seem to be a different level.
Ideally, you can have a sub to do below 20hz and a couple of subs that excels in mid bass (used to be called as midbass modules) I think, rel has good mid bass. And combining both will give you the best of both worlds, Imo.

Yes. There are so many things involved when it comes to bass reaponse.
I would suggest you to try sealed subwoofers in your room. If Im not wrong even IMAX uses sealed sub.
Also, our forum member annamalai (I don’t remember his handle) have switched from a svs sub to a dual 18 inch JBL pro sub. It is giving him a lot of something that svs couldn’t produce at all. I think he is in chennai and you may ask him for an audition. There is a thread in hifivision about his sub.
That sub cannot go below 22hz, iirc but the punch it produces seem to be a different level.
Ideally, you can have a sub to do below 20hz and a couple of subs that excels in mid bass (used to be called as midbass modules) I think, rel has good mid bass. And combining both will give you the best of both worlds, Imo.
I know him and he is not in Chennai. The issues I am facing are mostly due to room and don’t think a sealed sub will do the job. Also I have used osd 800 watts sealed sub It had good punch and mid bass but I missed the low end grunt of a ported sub. For movies ported is always much better as they provide good grunt in the low end. I actually wanted to try a single 15 inch sealed but second sub didn’t sell. After 3 months of using a single LV12F I realised that dual subs are much better. So I blindly got the fvx 12 hoping it will gel well with LV12F. For 2 days I tested the the fvx12 alone and It was not much of an upgrade over the dual LV12F. Compared to dual LV12F and single fvx 12 I preferred the dual LV12F. But fvx12 had better speed and accuracy. So mixed them both and ended up with amazing results. Now I have the LV12F on sale and will let go if I get a good offer else just enjoy mixed duals. Fvx12 is almost as good as a sealed sub with the benefit of a ported sub performance. I don’t listen at high spl after loud noise damage so chasing accurate bass

I know him and he is not in Chennai. The issues I am facing are mostly due to room and don’t think a sealed sub will do the job. Also I have used osd 800 watts sealed sub It had good punch and mid bass but I missed the low end grunt of a ported sub. For movies ported is always much better as they provide good grunt in the low end. I actually wanted to try a single 15 inch sealed but second sub didn’t sell. After 3 months of using a single LV12F I realised that dual subs are much better. So I blindly got the fvx 12 hoping it will gel well with LV12F. For 2 days I tested the the fvx12 alone and It was not much of an upgrade over the dual LV12F. Compared to dual LV12F and single fvx 12 I preferred the dual LV12F. But fvx12 had better speed and accuracy. So mixed them both and ended up with amazing results. Now I have the LV12F on sale and will let go if I get a good offer else just enjoy mixed duals. Fvx12 is almost as good as a sealed sub with the benefit of a ported sub performance. I don’t listen at high spl after loud noise damage so chasing accurate bass
Coool. Good that you're happy with your current setup. If calibrated well, dual sub will be better.
And some prefer low end grunt and some prefer mid bass. It is all about the taste.
You've got a nice setup.
Enjoy your subs. 👍😊

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back