Help needed to fix minor issue in Technics SL-Q3

ukjeyaraj

I have Technics SL-Q3 turntable. For last two years I did not use the TT. Last week I connected it and started to use again. All functionalities except one works fine. When start button is pressed, tone arms lifts and reaches to the vinyl but around 2 or 3 mm short of the starting position. A gentle touch of tonearm towards the disc makes it start proper. However I do not want to keep pushing the tonearm. Currently I start the play manually. This may be a minor issue. But I do not know what to check and how to fix this issue. Any guidance will be of great use.

One additional help is to find a place at Chennai where I can make dust cover for this. In the existing dust cover one of the hinges is broken.

Thanks in advance.

Hi
There should be a screw near tonearm pivot for tonearm start adjustment. You can easily adjust it for a tonearm start point.

Regards
Sachin

I have Technics SL-Q3 turntable. For last two years I did not use the TT. Last week I connected it and started to use again. All functionalities except one works fine. When start button is pressed, tone arms lifts and reaches to the vinyl but around 2 or 3 mm short of the starting position. A gentle touch of tonearm towards the disc makes it start proper. However I do not want to keep pushing the tonearm. Currently I start the play manually. This may be a minor issue. But I do not know what to check and how to fix this issue. Any guidance will be of great use.

One additional help is to find a place at Chennai where I can make dust cover for this. In the existing dust cover one of the hinges is broken.

Thanks in advance.
On another note, if your TT was functioning properly before it went into storage, and nothing was adjusted since, some part of the lubricating grease may have dried up. Recently, my SL3200 started giving me speed problems and when I opened it up to fix it, I decided to take a look at the stop button (which was not functional from the time I got this TT) and all it needed was some wd40 to clean up the crusty grease and a fresh application of fine silicon grease. Of course i located and changed a couple of key faulty electrolytics and have a fully functioning singing TT again :)

On another note, if your TT was functioning properly before it went into storage, and nothing was adjusted since, some part of the lubricating grease may have dried up. Recently, my SL3200 started giving me speed problems and when I opened it up to fix it, I decided to take a look at the stop button (which was not functional from the time I got this TT) and all it needed was some wd40 to clean up the crusty grease and a fresh application of fine silicon grease. Of course i located and changed a couple of key faulty electrolytics and have a fully functioning singing TT again :)
Thanks for pitching in to help. I had problem with functioning of start and stop button initially. Applying wd_40 resolved it.. Tone arm issue got resolved after using the tip given in the above video. Now TT is singing flawless and perfect..

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back