Help - newbie on a budget wanting everything!

I have a different thinking on this. Since you are on a budget, you can improve on this also.

Since you are planning on the Norge Audio, you would already have a nice amp and matching speakers. So I do not see a point in spending money on a micro/mini.

Go for a multi disc player from Philips or Sony. Or if you can get it, an Oppo. Hook it up with a decent RCA-RCA connector and you are set. They will cost you less and will provide better quality output.

Agree with Ranjeet.
I have an Oppo- its really nice.
Else, pick up a Philips DVD Player.
They sound good-later you can use it as a transport into a Good DAC.

a Sony/Philips DVD player is easier to find and probably lesser cost than Oppo (couldnt get a rupees quote on google).
the audio cassettes now need to be included (any suggestions?)... till they all fall apart/get replaced/converted whichever comes first.

thanks guys!
:)

The boom boxes as an option to play your cassettes are not durable at all, the develop faults within months.
Option 1 Get your cassette collection transferred onto CD-R's.
Option 2 Pick up a second hand cassette deck in good condition and transfer the cassettes onto CD-R's yourself first of all & then keep enjoying the Deck till it lasts.
Option 3 Pick up an Ahuja Amplideck( Cassette Player with a built in Amplifier)-Very sturdy, durable stuff.

hi Kamal,

I think I am in favour of option 1 and 2.

Option 1 would be with the Philips DVP5986K (LG - DN 192H being the option).

Option 2 doubts: The cost (+ the Philips) cost comes close to the lower micro system models of Philips and Sony... but these have no reviews.

2nd hand cassette deck: the branded tape-only decks seem pricey (unless I am not looking in the right place). Is it easy to link/synchronise these to a CD burner? Or should I reconsider choosing from Sony-CMT-DF1,
Philips MCD196 and Philips FWD132/98 (~ 8000).

this weekend should see some implementation :)

thanks everyone for the patient participation... just the knot on the tail of the elephant remaining to be pulled out now :D

Sridhar

The boom boxes as an option to play your cassettes are not durable at all, the develop faults within months.
Option 1 Get your cassette collection transferred onto CD-R's.
Option 2 Pick up a second hand cassette deck in good condition and transfer the cassettes onto CD-R's yourself first of all & then keep enjoying the Deck till it lasts.
Option 3 Pick up an Ahuja Amplideck( Cassette Player with a built in Amplifier)-Very sturdy, durable stuff.

a Sony/Philips DVD player is easier to find and probably lesser cost than Oppo (couldnt get a rupees quote on google).
the audio cassettes now need to be included (any suggestions?)... till they all fall apart/get replaced/converted whichever comes first.

thanks guys!
:)
Hi Gibikote,
U can consider the pioneer dvd player too. The budget models are about 4/5 K here in the mumbai grey mkt and they are decent too. I am only a stereo person so my knowledge on dvd players is limited but the philips i had a few years ago caused a lot of headache and was finally beyond repair. Currently have a marantz and its doing ok.
U have shortlisted the Norge Amp+Speakers? If possible look for used Nad, CA amplifiers too.
Regarding a tape deck please do not buy a mini comp. As all the guys above have said it wont last. Am sure u will find used options for less than the 8K u are prepared to dish out for the mini.I know u want EVERYTHING just have a little patience, a used tape deck will come along. I too still use a deck and enjoy my old tapes so i understand ur need to have one.
Best regards and good luck for ur weekend expedition!!

Last edited:
Even I wouldn't recommend a branded tape deck. That would be a bad investment.

For playing Tapes nothing is as sturdy and durable as an Ahuja deck. You can also check out Elgin if it is available in your area. Elgin will cost you less but still serve you a few years before giving up.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back