Help on getting 5.1 ch from PC-TV-AVR

ishan_bansal

So I've got a 4k TV, a non HDMI 2.0 AVR(Yamaha HYR3066) and a PC with a GTX1060 card perfectly capable of outputting 4K.
My problem is that I cannot get 4K 60fps if I go PC>AVR>TV as AVR caps video at 4k 30fps, and more over it doesn't allow HDR pass through.
So I tried going PC>TV>AVR via ARC, I do get 4K 60fps but only stereo option under audio settings on computer. I do not know why I'm not getting a surround sound option in ARC. All connections are through HDMI cables. Any solution for this?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Well, if one looks hard enough, one will find a solution. I hope this helps others as well.
TV cannot pass through 5.1 PCM audio so it downgrades it to 2.1 ch. That's the problem. Now solution to this is using 2 HDMIs from PC, one for Video and one for audio. This wasn't possible for my card as it only has a single HDMI port ,others are display ports.
I have an HDMI port on my Motherboard but since my integrated graphics are disabled, so is the port. I went to the BIOS and found an option to turn on my integrated graphics card, so through this port I'm sending audio out to my receiver, and video via my Nvidia graphics card. So now I have 4k 60fps HDR capable video with surround sound!

You can use a hdmi splitter. That what I use to connect my TV and projector. It works perfectly fine. You could feed it via your hdmi on computer and then take two separate hdmi one to TV and other to receiver.
Terabyte 1X2 HDMI Splitter Full HD ...B01MYRM4I9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_L.GHzbY86556Q

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
The splitter will cut down my resolution from 4K to 1080p, that's why it's not feasible.

The splitter will cut down my resolution from 4K to 1080p, that's why it's not feasible.

Oh it does? Have you tried it already?

MaSh

sorry for piggybacking on your thread ishan, but let me get some help for my similar issue too. :D

am getting only LPCM as input signal from my HTPC (GPU - GTX 750ti); while from the PS4, i get DD5.1. i mostly use Kodi on the HTPC, but at times also VLC & potplayer. connection from HTPC to AVR (NR1606) is via HDMI (both, from HTPC as well as PS4). how can i resolve this? any help pls?

sorry for piggybacking on your thread ishan, but let me get some help for my similar issue too. :D

am getting only LPCM as input signal from my HTPC (GPU - GTX 750ti); while from the PS4, i get DD5.1. i mostly use Kodi on the HTPC, but at times also VLC & potplayer. connection from HTPC to AVR (NR1606) is via HDMI (both, from HTPC as well as PS4). how can i resolve this? any help pls?
You are saying that your AVR displays PCM as the audio input, right? This may occur because you PC maybe decoding the Audio from the source hence it's already sending a decoded signal to the AVR therefore your AVR will not be using it's decoder, it will be simply transmitting the already decoded audio to the speakers.
Check if you are getting surround sound or not.

Oh it does? Have you tried it already?

MaSh

No I haven't,but the link that you posted clearly states it's for 1080p. Also, if splitting the signal there is going to be some sort of loss of signal quality, I'm guessing. So it's probably not for 4K, especially with HDR.

No I haven't,but the link that you posted clearly states it's for 1080p. Also, if splitting the signal there is going to be some sort of loss of signal quality, I'm guessing. So it's probably not for 4K, especially with HDR.

Okay. I do not have 4K so cannot test it myself. However, I feel it's just a simple splitter and does not do anything to the signal as such.

Apart from upgrading your receiver I cannot think of another option but to send the hdmi to your TV directly and connecting your receiver via a non hdmi, digital source.

MaSh

Okay. I do not have 4K so cannot test it myself. However, I feel it's just a simple splitter and does not do anything to the signal as such.

Apart from upgrading your receiver I cannot think of another option but to send the hdmi to your TV directly and connecting your receiver via a non hdmi, digital source.

MaSh

I posted the solution to my own problem in my 2nd post. My issue has been resolved, by me, lol. Thanks anyway....

I posted the solution to my own problem in my 2nd post. My issue has been resolved, by me, lol. Thanks anyway....

Yes, but how's the quality? Is it a digital out? Did you also consider a USB sound card?

MaSh

You are saying that your AVR displays PCM as the audio input, right? This may occur because you PC maybe decoding the Audio from the source hence it's already sending a decoded signal to the AVR therefore your AVR will not be using it's decoder, it will be simply transmitting the already decoded audio to the speakers.
Check if you are getting surround sound or not.

like i thought. how can that decoding at source be turned off? i had tried it in potplayer earlier, to no avail.
the surround doesnt sound as good as it sounds with the PS4.

Last edited:
like i thought. how can that decoding at source be turned off? i had tried it in potplayer earlier, to no avail.
the surround doesnt sound as good as it sounds with the PS4.
When I use the Windows 10 built in player, "Films and TV", my Receiver displays the type of Audio input like DTS/DD etc. Maybe try that. Otherwise I don't know.

Yes, but how's the quality? Is it a digital out? Did you also consider a USB sound card?

MaSh

Quality is same as an HDMI connection, since it IS an HDMI connection.
My PC has 2 HDMI ports, one on the Motherboard (for integrated graphics), one on the Graphics Card itself. When a Graphics Card is there, integrated graphics are automatically disabled hence the Port on Mobo doesn't work. So I went to BIOS and activated it.
No I didn't consider a sound card.

Quality is same as an HDMI connection, since it IS an HDMI connection.
My PC has 2 HDMI ports, one on the Motherboard (for integrated graphics), one on the Graphics Card itself. When a Graphics Card is there, integrated graphics are automatically disabled hence the Port on Mobo doesn't work. So I went to BIOS and activated it.
No I didn't consider a sound card.

Ahhh that's the point I missed probably in the beginning that you already have two HDMI ports.

MaSh

For those with single HDMI source and 4K AVR which does not support 4K60 and HDR can use this 4K splitter:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HDMI-2-0-splitter-1x2-4K-2-port-hdmi2-0-Distribution-Amplifier-1080p-3d-HDCP2-2/32670622135.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.AUpxe4

In case you have the old non 4K AVR this will not help as the AVR will not accept any 4K input. Then you will need something like this: Egreat H10 The First 4K HDMI 2.0a Audio&Video Spliter | Egreat Forum

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back