Help - Onkyo + Wharfedale

Bits

Hi

I am an absolute novice out here, or should I say an illiterate.:sad:

I need help and advise to finalise my first ever home theatre. Just to give a brief background, I work and live in Dubai currently but would be moving to Delhi next month. I was living here in a service apartment but would be moving into my own house in Delhi. Hence, I am currently shopping around in Dubai for all my household stuff required to build my house from scratch. Buying a home theatre was not even remotely in my horizon till two days back.
I just went to buy a iphone to gift to my dad on my return. Instead of just giving me a phone, this salesman (typical sellu) told me about this promotion going on with him where he is offering a iphone5 free with a home theatre. That got me hooked on. Deal includes the following:

AVR Onkyo TX NR 626
Speakers Wharfedale Diamond 10.6 + 10.1 + 10CS + 10 MX Sub
Price AED 6000 (appx INR 90,000) with free iphone5
Since, I have to buy phone any which ways, effective price for home theatre is appx INR 55K for me.

Need advise on the following:
1. Is this combination good (for my untrained ear used to TV speakers everything is good!!!)
2. Have twins 4 year old, extremely naughty. Any suggestions how to make floorstanding speakers child proof!!!!!! :rolleyes:
3. From what I understand the price seems to be a good bargain. Is that understanding correct?
4. Though I would get bills and stuff warranty offered is not international. How difficult or easy is it to get service support in India for imported items
5. Is the original packing good enough or should I take some more precautions for shipment. (I have a dedicated 40ft container booked for myself)
6. What are the other accessories cables? BRD player? I need to buy. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Cheers!!!
Bittoo

I think its a fantastic deal especially since you were already planning to buy the iphone 5.
You're home theater set up will be great & the speakers are well matched to the amp. All you need now is a blu ray player (I'm assuming you have the tv/projector already) & you're set. You can go for a sony s490 or a panasonic bdp 220 or the newer version (320 if I'm not mistaken).
Wiring for the same can be sourced locally too & though there is no international warranty I would not be too worried.
Rarely does anything go wrong & just in case it does you can pay and get them serviced here.
As for the children hmmmm! promise them a great animated movie if they don't touch the speakers :yahoo:

Good luck!!:cheers:

Its a good deal just make sure that Iphone 5 is unlocked and can be used in India, otherwise it will be useless unless you jailbreak it.

Onkyo may not match perfectly with Wharfedale,but others like Q acoustic,Pioneer,Tannoy V1. Try demo & choose which you like.

Hi Spirovious..... As u have suggested Onkyo may not be a good combo... may I borrow ur expertise and ask which avr would match up to Wharfy Diamond series 10.6 ...5.1 set up..... specially for music...

Thanks guys... I received my shipment now...bought my thing in june first week but was in warehouse as my apartment was not yet ready....any suggestions for a good place to buy cables etc. in Noida/Delhi?

I just searched and found that Wharfedale dx-1 hcp are 4 Ohms speakers, Which will have less impedance and draw more power from the AVR eventually it will get HOT, in High volumes I guess the speakers will distort..

Any other speaker suggestions ranging between 6-8 Ohms ?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back