Help purchasing Bravia LED in Dubai

boltonfan

As the title says.... need to know any dealers or areas where I can find hx 750 or hx 850 (40) in Dubai and the custom duty involved.

Totally unfamiliar with the way things work there and couldn't find much online.

Will be visiting in 10 days..\

Thanks in advance :)

Don't know much about Dubai market. Jumbo Electronics is the main Sony dealer. You can check with them. What kind of custom help required? Basically you have to manage that yourself. You can carry the TV up to 40" with you, but have very little accompanied checked-in baggage (to avoid excess baggage charges). You will get 35,000 as duty free allowance. On the balance amount, you will have to pay about 35% duty.

I do not know about customs involved but I can help in pointing out where to get a good deal.

Go to the Abra side (Where the Water is). You should find boats plying between abra and the other side which is Bur dubai. Near the abra side you will find gullies/alleys and you will find lots of shops dealing with all kinds of electronic goods including the TV you are looking for. Go from shop to shop among them and ask them the best price that they can offer you for your model. Keep your mind open for other TVs also for some shops may be having old stock which you can strike at a good price. Make sure to get the bill from the shop you are buying.

One more tip bargain and bargain and bargain :)
Keep a pen and paper handy so that you can write down the prices and come back to the best price offered in various shops.

Usually the best months to shop is usually after the Dubai shopping festival when the wharf is loaded with electronics as left overs after the festival and you can make killer deals during this time.

I had done the same for my Panasonic TV and Hitachi DVD player years ago about 2001-2002. I trust not much has changed since then.

With the hope that this helps.

Vinod

Last edited:
Thanks Vinod. I'll definitely visit the abra side when I', there. Hope I'll get a good deal. But is there any way I can find a indicative price of the tv's there, from here?

For you in your example visit Jumbo Electronics and find out the price there. You can find the address thru the net and also thru Khaleej Times the newspaper there. Also you can also strike deals at the classifieds there. Also Sharaf Dubai is another good store to go to. AVRS, Home theatres also there is another famous shop in Abra again where the deals are killer prices.

Let us say for example your TV costs say 1000 dirhams. Now the rate is 14.81 per dirham. If you are good at bargaining you can probably get it at about 900 dirhams.

Also check at the Deira City centre where you have something similar to circuit city in America. It used to be on the second floor with a white and blue board (Forgot the name of the Electronics store). This shop is huge and you can see TVs by the tons. You can see the price of your model there also. The price at the abra will be a good 100-150 dirhams cheaper.

I dont know what other Electronic centres are open since then.

The CAVEAT is that my information may be old and I do not know what new changes have taken place but this should surely give you an idea and a basic guideline.

Vinod

Last edited:
If I may.....

You will get the best deals either at Lulu Hypermarket in Ghusais or Carrefour at Deira City Centre. You can visit both places same day, it's just 8-10 mins by cab, to see who offers the best deal for the day. You can also check out Sharaf DG at Deira City Centre, but from experience it is somewhat more expensive than Lulu or Carrefour.

Also bear in mind that some of the airlines now charge additionally for 40" TVs. I had this unpleasant experience with Jet Airways, who charged me 180 Dhs or approx 2700 Rs. You would do well to check before buying your air ticket.

Customs will not bother you if you are carrying a 32" TV, but will ask you to go to the red channel if they see a 40" plus. Carry the bill with you to give you some bargaining power.

Happy shopping!

Thanks Vinod and Soundstage. Your information and advice has saved a lot of time for me.

I've called Lulu and Jumbo and got quotes for the tv's. They also have a new model called w670, in 42 inches, just launched there. So will look at that too! Lulu is cheaper than other big chains.

I'll also check the local shops, I'm pretty sure I'll find a good deal there because the tv's that I want have been discontinued.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back