Help recognise these horns.

Last edited:
Current Drivers are RCA and the horns are similar to 804B Altec and may be magnavox used with western electric driver

Thanks @srinisundar They could also be RCA and the teardrop patch on the sides might be a sign of them. I have also raised this question on fb forum and have received varying opinions.
would you or anyone know if these horn flares were ever made in India in that era under licence or otherwise. The construction of them is not so ordinary to think they were made by an imitator.

Thanks @srinisundar They could also be RCA and the teardrop patch on the sides might be a sign of them. I have also raised this question on fb forum and have received varying opinions.
would you or anyone know if these horn flares were ever made in India in that era under licence or otherwise. The construction of them is not so ordinary to think they were made by an imitator.
They are not Altec. The best person on the planet to ask is John Kalinowski on FB. Search him on FB, join his FB page and shoot a question there. You will have definitive answer with all history.

They are not Altec. The best person on the planet to ask is John Kalinowski on FB. Search him on FB, join his FB page and shoot a question there. You will have definitive answer with all history.
Oh..he has already commented a few times on my post. Didn't know he was an expert. He seems to think it could be an Indian build or a British manufacture because of it being in India.

Oh..he has already commented a few times on my post. Didn't know he was an expert. He seems to think it could be an Indian build or a British manufacture because of it being in India.
It’s definitely not Altec and if he doesn’t recognize it then it has an Indian history.

Did you get it from any of Indian cinema hall ?

It’s definitely not Altec and if he doesn’t recognize it then it has an Indian history.

Did you get it from any of Indian cinema hall ?
Yes Its bigger than altecs. I bought the horn flare from a dealer who probably pulled it out of a cinema hall and the driver was bought separately from a friend and vintage gear afficianado. The paint overstay and all. Beautiful horns these and very inert and am loving the sound.
Yes folks are suggesting g philips, vitavox, RCA.

Yes Its bigger than altecs. I bought the horn flare from a dealer who probably pulled it out of a cinema hall and the driver was bought separately from a friend and vintage gear afficianado. The paint overstay and all. Beautiful horns these and very inert and am loving the sound.
Yes folks are suggesting g philips, vitavox, RCA.

Great ! I hope you have a pair of these.

How is the HF roll off on these ?

I would vote RCA older models.

Great ! I hope you have a pair of these.

How is the HF roll off on these ?

I would vote RCA older models.
These RCA/Victor compression drivers roll off early (8000hz) and have a phenolic diaphragm instead of aluminium. The sound to my ears is relaxed and fluid and full bodied with no hint of glare as opposed to the beymas I was using earlier (they are now doing the tweeter duty, i am using 2 compression drivers simultaneously) which were a tad bit sharper.
The addition of horns I thought would only affect the HF and staging which it did but it has also made the sound more punchy and full bodied.

Back