Help regarding buying used speakers.

tejasnaidu

I am planning to buy used speakers for 2.1 setup, need feedback whether they are any good. It will be 50:50 for movies and music with special emphasis on thumping bass.

1) Sony SS-D505AV. 100 watt R.M.S., 3 way with 8" woofer. Sourced info from the net- they are 1991 models (approx 20 yrs old) and came as a package with amp, cassette deck and tuner. The dealer has only the speakers. The dealer is quoting 3.5k for the pair, but i will bargain it down. No performance reviews on the net. Anyone can give info regarding music clarity and bass response, also any distortions at high volume. I want good mid range and bass since my present speaker lacks in that dept.

2) Onkyo SKW330-- 100watt R.M.S./ 8 ohm passive subwoofer (8" driver). Also part of some package but only has the sub with him. Is quoting 3.5k for it. Any feedback regarding low end response and output at high volumes.

I will be taking a demo before purchasing but i need feedback if it the right package for the price. My present speaker (Arphi) and sub (yamaha) are total crap. The Arphi (1982 model) does not have orginal drivers (Tweeter+woofer) since they went bust at high volume and were replaced with boltons. Anyway the original arphi drivers were also useless. The Yamaha sub bought 2 yrs back from U.S. are total crap, in fact i did not use it for 1 year because it sounds boomy/unnatural and distorts heavily at volume exceeding 40%. Did not have a demo since i ordered from U.S.

Hi Tejasnaidu

I guess the culprit could be your speakers. Have you tried pairing the amp with any other speakers?

BTW the speakers that you have shortlisted may not be any better IMO.

Cheers

Rajesh

The Sony and Onkyo will not be better.

The guy also showed me an older pioneer 3 way with paper cone, The sony has plastic cone. I prefer plastic over paper since it does not deteriorate with time.

Even the onkyo is not good. I am not looking for audiophile grade speakers, simple setup with clear midrange and deep bass is sufficient. I wanted feedback regarding both since some are using onkyo in HT setup.

Hi

There are no such thing called audiophile grade speakers but only different levels of refinement in SQ. What matters is your budget, room dimensions, space availability and your musical preferences.

Do let us know the above.

Rgds

Rajesh

Hi

There are no such thing called audiophile grade speakers but only different levels of refinement in SQ. What matters is your budget, room dimensions, space availability and your musical preferences.

Do let us know the above.

Rgds

Rajesh

My budget is 7k max, hence going for used speakers. It will be placed in my bedroom which is small to medium in size. Placement is also a problem hence it will be placed on wooden shelves at the ceiling corners. The sub will be on the floor. The amp will be connected to TATA sky STB mainly for music channels and movies. Also a standalone tuner will be bought later.

Import a subwoofer kit from here. Get a decent carpenter to make a cabinet for you.

https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=35_41&products_id=417

Buy a pair of wharfedale 9.1bookshelf speakers from the used market.

You are set for great Bass and very decent Midrange.

Had earlier planned to make a subwoofer myself, since securing drivers is not an issue because my sis is in the US. Volume calculation for sealed or ported sub design is very complex and time consuming. Simplest would be to go for a sealed design with large volume and fibrewool stuffing. Also not confident that end result will be good hence going for tried and tested products.

Regarding wharferdale can you tell me what will be the approx price for a pair of used bookshelves.

My budget is 7k max, hence going for used speakers. It will be placed in my bedroom which is small to medium in size. Placement is also a problem hence it will be placed on wooden shelves at the ceiling corners. The sub will be on the floor. The amp will be connected to TATA sky STB mainly for music channels and movies. Also a standalone tuner will be bought later.

Look for satellite speakers and an active subwoofer. Putting conventional loudspeakers on wooden shelves in cieling corners are the worst thing you can do.

Look out for a Bose AM 5 in the used market. You may get them for around 12k or so. Bose made these speakers especially keeping in mind music lovers like you.

Hi Tejas,
Where are you located? I shall suggest some place where you can get used speakers based on your location.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back