Help required: Basic Home Theatre Setup

Thanks guys! I am definitely auditioning all the set ups at length (sometimes to the point where the sales man gets annoyed!).

By the way which AVRs and speakers sets do you guys recommend to audition (model numbers)? I found that it's best to call a dealer and ask them if they have the particular set up (AVR + Speakers) and are willing to give a demo (many refused!) before actually walking by their stores.

Regards

If you're willing to spend 25-30k on your avr, I would suggest comparing Yamaha RX-V375, Marantz NR-1402 (1403 if it is available in India) and Denon AVR-X500.
Choose your avr first, and then audition your speakers. I guess out of these only Yamaha has 4K pass-through capability. All in all, whatever
you pick, it should be future proof if you don't have the upgrade bug. But I will suggest you to go for an avr with 4K pass through capabilities if it suits your budget.

Hi,

I am planning to set up a dedicated home theater room.
The room size is about 220 sq feet ( 20 ft long and 11 ft broad).
I will have projector in it too.

Please could you guide me which home theater set to take. I am planning to buy :
Amplifier : Denon AVR x2000
Speakers : FOCAL Sib & Co

My concern is my room size also. It has concrete flooring. My budget would be for amp and speakers : 80K-1.3 Lacs.

Hi,

I am planning to set up a dedicated home theater room.
The room size is about 220 sq feet ( 20 ft long and 11 ft broad).
I will have projector in it too.

Please could you guide me which home theater set to take. I am planning to buy :
Amplifier : Denon AVR x2000
Speakers : FOCAL Sib & Co

My concern is my room size also. It has concrete flooring. My budget would be for amp and speakers : 80K-1.3 Lacs.

I suggest you start a new thread. If you've decided the avr I would suggest you to look at Paradigm Monitor series for speakers. They pair well with Denon and sound great. Let your ears be the judge.

Hello Guys,

After the HT bug bit me some 6 months back, I finally decided to get started with a basic AV receiver and 5.1 speakers. But, as I read more and more in hifivision, more I get confused :eek:

Here is my setup:
  • Room Size: 14x13 feet (bedroom)
  • Display: SONY Bravia LCD 32"
  • Desktop (Media): Running XBMC for Movies (Action, Drama, Rom-Coms) and the occasional Music (Trance/Alternate Rock types)
  • Sound card: Creative SoundBlaster 5.1VX
  • Speakers: Creative Inspire T6160
  • Tata Sky SD (No, I am not looking for Tata Sky HD, why? I mostly watch Movies and TV series from my desktop :lol:)
  • Video: Desktop to TV via DVI-HDMI cable
  • Audio: Sound card to speakers
  • Please note that I do not have a HDMI port in the desktop!

Now I am thinking to upgrade the audio system (and make it a bit scalable for the future upgrades). The video system is fine unless it can be accommodated in the budget (which I doubt :D). I am thinking of the following:
  • Video: Leave it as it is!
  • Audio: HTiB like Yamaha 299/Onkyo 3500 OR buying separate AV receiver and speakers connected via the sound card (analog green/black/pink 3.5 mm jacks)
  • Budget: 30K .. OK not more than 35K (post which wifey will definitely veto the plan) in Bangalore

Also, I am a complete newbie when it comes to audio systems. I plan to go for auditions today. Will decide on the setup once I am convinced of the product!

Suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance!

Mods: Please feel free to move/merge if required.

Was doing my own research and stumbled upon your thread. What did you eventually buy?

sabret00the:

Well after much deliberation, I made the following changes in my setup:
  • Graphics Card: ATI RADEON 2GB HD 5450
  • AVR: Onkyo HTR-558
  • Speakers: Onkyo SKF-528
  • Subwoofer: Onkyo SKW-501E
  • Speaker cables: 16 gauge
  • HDMI - HDMI cables - 2 nos.

With this my setup now looks like this:
  • Video - SONY Bravia 32" LCD (will upgrade this when I have vitamin M)
  • Audio - As above
  • Media - Desktop with 4 TB HDD, Graphics card as above (plans to make a NAS soon)

Hope it helps!

sabret00the:

Well after much deliberation, I made the following changes in my setup:
  • Graphics Card: ATI RADEON 2GB HD 5450
  • AVR: Onkyo HTR-558
  • Speakers: Onkyo SKF-528
  • Subwoofer: Onkyo SKW-501E
  • Speaker cables: 16 gauge
  • HDMI - HDMI cables - 2 nos.

With this my setup now looks like this:
  • Video - SONY Bravia 32" LCD (will upgrade this when I have vitamin M)
  • Audio - As above
  • Media - Desktop with 4 TB HDD, Graphics card as above (plans to make a NAS soon)

Hope it helps!

How much did the AVR,Speakers and sub cost you?

Thanks

sound_maestro:

It came to around 65K in Bangalore but then it was last December 2013, so the pricing will be different now and/or look for newer models :)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back