Help required to select Floor Standers for Onkyo receiver

kvm

Hello Esteemed forum members,

I have a 7-yr old Onkyo receiver (HT-R340) for my 5.1 surround setup. Am planning to add two FS for the receiver as additional front speakers (spk set B). Am terribly confused with the available choice in the market. Appreciate if the esteemed forum members can help me out make a good selection.

1. Onkyo receiver specs:
Rated output power - 6ch * 110W @ 6ohms, 1kHz, 1 ch driven
Dynamic power - 180W + 180W (3ohms, front); 140W + 140W (4ohms front); 95W + 95W (8ohms front)
SNR - 100dB
Speaker Impedance - 6-16ohms

2. Am not immediately planning to upgrade the receiver. So am looking for good floor standers to complement the existing setup. Prefer 3-way speakers so the entire spectrum will be addressed. My budget is around 70K-1L max.

3. I primarily listen to film music, Carnatic, classics (English & indian)

4. My receiver has 'spring type' connections while all the new FS seem to have terminal connections - is there any adapter available and will there be any signal/SQ loss?

5. Havent done any auditions yet - was checking out models/ reviews so far to narrow down the choice which itself is becoming a tough task.

Kindly help out,

regards

My suggestion is to audition speakers yourself and take a call, what I feel is people tend to suggest the speakers they own. That has been a trend on any AV forum.

Hello Esteemed forum members,

I have a 7-yr old Onkyo receiver (HT-R340) for my 5.1 surround setup. Am planning to add two FS for the receiver as additional front speakers (spk set B). Am terribly confused with the available choice in the market. Appreciate if the esteemed forum members can help me out make a good selection.

1. Onkyo receiver specs:
Rated output power - 6ch * 110W @ 6ohms, 1kHz, 1 ch driven
Dynamic power - 180W + 180W (3ohms, front); 140W + 140W (4ohms front); 95W + 95W (8ohms front)
SNR - 100dB
Speaker Impedance - 6-16ohms

2. Am not immediately planning to upgrade the receiver. So am looking for good floor standers to complement the existing setup. Prefer 3-way speakers so the entire spectrum will be addressed. My budget is around 70K-1L max.

3. I primarily listen to film music, Carnatic, classics (English & indian)

4. My receiver has 'spring type' connections while all the new FS seem to have terminal connections - is there any adapter available and will there be any signal/SQ loss?

5. Havent done any auditions yet - was checking out models/ reviews so far to narrow down the choice which itself is becoming a tough task.

Kindly help out,

regards

Onkyo HT R340 has around 80W maximum power delivery @ 8 Ohms when one channel is driven.. So when used in stereo mode, it would produce an approx 50 - 60W power delivery...

I think you would be better of with Bookshelf speaker rather than a Floor stander as the AVR many not have enough juice to drive them....

But if you still like FS, then look for the ones which have highest efficiency / sensitivity...

Thanks elangoas for your input.

But the specs seem attractive as mentioned below., for 8ohm stereo load it should deliver about 95W each (dynamic power) while the rated output is 110W @ 6ohm load for all 6 channels.

One q though: PSB Image T6 recommended power range is 20-200W; not sure if the Onkyo with 95W rated can drive it?

Also request the forum, if any one has tried such a setup or if necessarily I need to go for a bigger amp/ receiver?

thanks

Thanks elangoas for your input.

But the specs seem attractive as mentioned below., for 8ohm stereo load it should deliver about 95W each (dynamic power) while the rated output is 110W @ 6ohm load for all 6 channels.

One q though: PSB Image T6 recommended power range is 20-200W; not sure if the Onkyo with 95W rated can drive it?

Also request the forum, if any one has tried such a setup or if necessarily I need to go for a bigger amp/ receiver?

thanks

95W is dynamic power/ Channel....

AVR manufactures always take this number for one channel & replicate it for all channels.. like Front 95 W + 95 W.. which is not the true....

Continuous power is what is required for amplifier which will not be quoted by many AVR....

Your AVR can drive the PSB T6 for sure....But it will not not be able to do justice to the speaker..

Listen to Wharfedales too, especially Diamond 10.7 pair. They are sensitive speakers with excellent mid-range and good bass extension.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back